United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone,

I’m asking a short question today.So I remember a couple weeks ago looking at a question on crosswalk and it was why the wicked seem to have it so good.And the answer they gave to it was that it’s simply Gods kindness to them in hopes they will repent from their wicked ways and have faith,however it’s made me worry about something different related to it,let me say I’m absolutely not a believer in the “prosperity gospel” and revile that false teaching.I’m very thankful when I receive nice things,I,In my life have received nice things,to name a few:

Caring and intellectual parents and family
3 dogs,1 of which likes me the favorite
A job I love
A chicken,out of my entire flock,who loves to sit on my hand and shoulder
Faith in Jesus
And a lot more…

But it makes me wonder,is it bad that if I receive nice things that I’m still in a state of unrepentance?,if God is still giving me nice things does it mean I’m still unrepentant?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,627.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I recall this entity that would harass me in my younger days, it would impersonate God and make a point of taking away/breaking things or people I became too attached to. Really messed up my personality, wouldn't recommend this course of thinking.

If you have something good, the correct reaction is thanksgiving.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,926,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Blaise N, here's something that the Lord said. Does it seem like the Lord favors one group over the other to you, or does it seem like His blessings flow towards us all?

Matthew 5
43 You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.’
44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
May God continue to bless you (in the way that He alone knows is best for you) :)

--David
p.s. - check out Psalms 37 if you have the time :) (BTW, I haven't read the Crosswalk article that you mentioned, but from what I just read of it from you, I disagree with their assessment of why the wicked seem to prosper at times)

Psalms 37
7 Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him;
Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,
Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes.

Lamentations 3
24 “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul,
“Therefore I have hope in Him.”

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My lady friend and I have a doggie who is cute and fun and funny. But recently he started to seem slower and not so active. I thought perhaps he was getting depressed because of not having enough activity and variety.

So, I started pushing him a little bit, and he seemed to enjoy the action.

But then he broke down into gagging on fluid and his stomach was "popping" as he would try to clear the fluid so he could breathe. And this went on for a while without him eating or sleeping, it seemed.

So, we got him to the vet, and the vet gave him a shot to help clear away fluids so he could breathe and his heart could pump him enough oxygen. But the vet was very clear > do not try to give him a lot of exercise > that could break him down, it seems he was saying.

And I thought, oh-oh . . . may be pushing him with exercise had helped to strain his heart so this trouble got started. I had been trying too hard to do everything good with him, be attentive to him; yet, that could be what nearly killed him!

So, then I realized > only if I do things with God can I be sure to handle blessings right. Otherwise, I could be the one who helps to spoil and even destroy the good which God gives to me.

And we see how ones have been blessed with marriage and children; yet, how have they done? Ones can ruin the good which they do have.

So, we need to trust God and do things the way He has us taking care of good things. And, by the way, do not spoil things by worrying about them or worrying about how you might mess something up. But >

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

We trust Him; so we do not worry. We commit all to Him, and God takes care of what He is committed to keeping and using for His good.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My lady friend and I have a doggie who is cute and fun and funny. But recently he started to seem slower and not so active. I thought perhaps he was getting depressed because of not having enough activity and variety.

So, I started pushing him a little bit, and he seemed to enjoy the action.

But then he broke down into gagging on fluid and his stomach was "popping" as he would try to clear the fluid so he could breathe. And this went on for a while without him eating or sleeping, it seemed.

So, we got him to the vet, and the vet gave him a shot to help clear away fluids so he could breathe and his heart could pump him enough oxygen. But the vet was very clear > do not try to give him a lot of exercise > that could break him down, it seems he was saying.

And I thought, oh-oh . . . may be pushing him with exercise had helped to strain his heart so this trouble got started. I had been trying too hard to do everything good with him, be attentive to him; yet, that could be what nearly killed him!

So, then I realized > only if I do things with God can I be sure to handle blessings right. Otherwise, I could be the one who helps to spoil and even destroy the good which God gives to me.

And we see how ones have been blessed with marriage and children; yet, how have they done? Ones can ruin the good which they do have.

So, we need to trust God and do things the way He has us taking care of good things. And, by the way, do not spoil things by worrying about them or worrying about how you might mess something up. But >

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

We trust Him; so we do not worry. We commit all to Him, and God takes care of what He is committed to keeping and using for His good.

He could have a bad heart. Many dogs if not most do. Not likely you caused any problems that would not have surfaced soon anyway.

• Friendly
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

I’m asking a short question today.So I remember a couple weeks ago looking at a question on crosswalk and it was why the wicked seem to have it so good.And the answer they gave to it was that it’s simply Gods kindness to them in hopes they will repent from their wicked ways and have faith,however it’s made me worry about something different related to it,let me say I’m absolutely not a believer in the “prosperity gospel” and revile that false teaching.I’m very thankful when I receive nice things,I,In my life have received nice things,to name a few:

A job I love
Faith in Jesus
And a lot more…

But it makes me wonder,is it bad that if I receive nice things that I’m still in a state of unrepentance?,if God is still giving me nice things does it mean I’m still unrepentant?
Wealth in and of itself is not bad. Jesus’ speech about the prodigal son reveals wasting wealth on the services of prostitutes is a sin. Luke 11:15-31

It is difficult for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven because greed tempted people to gain wealth dishonestly and to spend it unwisely.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

A job I love
Faith in Jesus
And a lot more…

The LORD does give good gifts to all, as a way to draw them to repentance, because it is "the goodness of God that leads to repentance". But the blessing is also reserved for the saints:

Deu 28:1-10 "Now it shall come to pass, if you diligently obey the voice of the LORD your God, to observe carefully all His commandments which I command you today, that the LORD your God will set you high above all nations of the earth. And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, because you obey the voice of the LORD your God: "Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the country. "Blessed shall be the fruit of your body, the produce of your ground and the increase of your herds, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flocks. "Blessed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl. "Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out. "The LORD will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before your face; they shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways. "The LORD will command the blessing on you in your storehouses and in all to which you set your hand, and He will bless you in the land which the LORD your God is giving you. "The LORD will establish you as a holy people to Himself, just as He has sworn to you, if you keep the commandments of the LORD your God and walk in His ways. Then all peoples of the earth shall see that you are called by the name of the LORD, and they shall be afraid of you.

Ecc 3:12-13 I know that nothing is better for them than to rejoice, and to do good in their lives, and also that every man should eat and drink and enjoy the good of all his labor—it is the gift of God.

Ecc 5:19 As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth, and given him power to eat of it, to receive his heritage and rejoice in his labor—this is the gift of God.

Pro 10:22 The blessing of the LORD makes one rich, And He adds no sorrow with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

A job I love
Faith in Jesus
And a lot more…

Not bad at all. But it can make us feel guilty when we consider those who don't have as much.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Abraham was wealthy yet faithful to God. Wealth, comfort, and ease are not bad in themselves, but do offer the christian extra challenges. Consider the warning of Moses to the nation of Israel;

Deu 6:10 And it shall be, when the LORD thy God shall have brought thee into the land which he sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give thee great and goodly cities, which thou buildedst not,
Deu 6:11 And houses full of all good things, which thou filledst not, and wells digged, which thou diggedst not, vineyards and olive trees, which thou plantedst not; when thou shalt have eaten and be full;
Deu 6:12 Then beware lest thou forget the LORD, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

There is a free pdf booklet called 'The Deceitfulness of Riches" you can download here that describes our vulnerabilities in this area.

http://christianpioneer.com/ebooks/tdor.pdf

It can be viewed as web pages on a cellphone here;

Christian Pioneer - Current blog

Upvote 0

Margot Lugo

Apr 14, 2022
Chatsworth, CA
✟18,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone,

A job I love
Faith in Jesus
And a lot more…

Blaise, I think this is a powerful question. I have listened to many opinions about various things. "Rich people only think of themselves." This anthem is popularized by people who think someone else got a piece of their pie. Knowing God changes things. He adjusts our attitude to one of being grateful and appreciative. And you seem super appreciative of what you've got in your life.

God helped me work hard for having what I do have. I appreciate what He's done for me so much. As you say, people in our lives, the animals that we steward, etc. are things we're grateful for.
Repenting comes up for me as God reveals what needs sorting out in my life on the go. I always want to have a repentant heart. It sounds like you do too. God's Blessing to you and thank you for putting this question on the table for us to toss around.

• Winner
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟30,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As the Holy Ghost, the Holy Spirit of Truth gave the Apostle Paul understanding in (1 Corinthians 6:12) saying, "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." So also we, that although we are subject to all things in this world, yet we should not allow ourselves to be brought under the power of any: we may have nice things, but they should be of none effect to us, save when they would offend others.
As for repentance, we which believe should repent and own our sins all the day long of any thought of sin that becomes lodged in our mind; lest we be found as they impenitent and ungenerated, who have no quarrel with sin.

• Winner
Upvote 0

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟45,103.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And the answer they gave to it was that it’s simply Gods kindness to them in hopes they will repent from their wicked ways and have faith,

Why would God do that? Men will begin to trust in their possessions rather than rely on the providence of God. Too much good things can drive us away from God.

"What shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" (Mark 8:36). Jesus held that it was easier for a man to be a Christian if he did not have many possessions. Wealth might not be unlawful, but certainly it was dangerous. Riches might be nobly and worthily used, but it took a special measure of God's grace to do it.

There is no mistaking the note of solemn warning in the verse, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of heaven (Matt. 19:24). Riches, said Jesus, are a terrible temptation; thank God if you do not have to meet it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I,In my life have received nice things,to name a few:

A job I love
Faith in Jesus
And a lot more…

You appreciate family as being part of prosperity; this is good. And yes God creates animals with unusual ways that we can enjoy and laugh about.

But how much we have, in comparison with others, can be a distraction from where our attention belongs.

How much did Jesus accomplish while He was naked on the cross? Did it depend on how much He had? Did Joseph do all the good because he had a lot, or because he had the LORD with him? > Genesis 37-50

• Winner
Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You appreciate family as being part of prosperity; this is good. And yes God creates animals with unusual ways that we can enjoy and laugh about.

But how much we have, in comparison with others, can be a distraction from where our attention belongs.

How much did Jesus accomplish while He was naked on the cross? Did it depend on how much He had? Did Joseph do all the good because he had a lot, or because he had the LORD with him? > Genesis 37-50
The Lord of course!,who could want any earthly thing over fellowship with the Lord?!

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Lord of course!,who could want any earthly thing over fellowship with the Lord?!
Jesus on the cross did so much while He had so little material good. And Joseph did a lot while he had a lot. Either way, God made such good of the situation.

With God our Creator we have His creativity in us and working around us, while we have a lot or a little.

Have you read and fed on how our Apostle Paul was content with a lot or a little? Philippians 4:10-13

In regard to your question about if our possessions can mean we have or have not repented - - - it seems that after Paul repented, there were times he had plenty and times he had little. And always with God he could do good.

So, while you have much or not, what matters is God's purpose for it. If someone is not repenting,

"God resists the proud," we have in James 4:6 and in 1 Peter 5:5.

Having a lot can be a way of God resisting a proud person, so the person is tangled with stuff so he or she can't do as much harm as he or she could to oneself or others. Or, having little might limit a proud person.

Having a house can tie up a person with taking care of it; but being homeless can keep another proud person away from ones that proud person might hurt and mislead.

But a godly person can be lovingly creative with or without a place to stay.

So, whatever is going on with you, perhaps you should not only try to interpret if it means you are living for God, but >

Use it to live for God :)

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

While we stay attentive and submissive to God in His peace ruling us, we share in His creativity now, in any situation.

So, in case already we have failed, now there is no use in just trying to figure out what label to put on ourselves because of our past performance. But start fresh now and trust the Lord to take us from here.​

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

A job I love
Faith in Jesus
And a lot more…

It's not a sin to be blessed with nice things or to acquire wealth through hard work.

The sin comes when material things become an idol.. i.e money itself is not evil, but the love of money is.

'For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.'

(1 Timothy 6:10)

If you have it good right now, it's a good time to give thanks to God for your blessings.

'44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.'

(Matthew 5:44-45)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wyatt A.

Apr 23, 2022
Baywood-Los Osos
✟31,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

It's not bad to have nice things... but its not good to dedicate your time going after them.

A job I love
Faith in Jesus
And a lot more…

Upvote 0