Is it bad to be interested in the Ottoman Empire?

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Nope, imo. I have a bit of an interest in Ottoman history myself. I just find it overall pretty fascinating. Plus they had some cool aesthetics.
Yeah, I am planning to wear an Ottoman Sultan costume in the future but some of my Greek friends might not like it.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Yeah, I am planning to wear an Ottoman Sultan costume in the future but some of my Greek friends might not like it.

It's just a costume so I think as long as you make that clear things should be okay. I mean, Ottoman clothing looks awesome.

• Agree
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Well, the Ottoman Empire supported Islam and they make Orthodox life more difficult.

I think it's important for Orthodox in particular to study Ottoman history, considering we have at least one Ottoman Turkish saint.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was surprised to realize how ethnically Ottoman the Greeks have become. I have considered the fact that in a sense, the Greeks "conquered" the occupying Turks, seeing as how in many cases the offspring of the Turks are now Christian ...

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,564.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Mind if I ask what the occasion to wear that costume will be?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,564.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not sure yet, I like wearing costumes.
You could dress as one of the Sultans of Swing. Less flashy, but also less controversial.

Dire%20Straits%20logo.jpg

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would argue that it’s important - especially studying the psychology and methodology the government and population were utilizing to commit genocide against the Armenians and the Greeks, such that it isn’t repeated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The people who inhabit Anatolia are not true Turks. Turks are a collection of mongol tribes such as the Uighur, Tuvan and Yakuts. etc.
Anatolian Turks are predominately Greeks and Armenians that converted to Islam. Here are a pair of Turkish sisters singing a song in their native dialect which is Pontic Greek (Romeyka), in other words they are islamized greeks:

Last edited:
Upvote 0