US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm 24 years old and about two years ago I suddenly had an interest in horse figurines. I loved horses all my life but my parents could never afford lessons as a kid. Growing up I actually never heard of Breyer horses till two years ago and I wanted to start collecting them. I'm just afraid to tell people about my interest in horses and horse figurines because I've always been seen as being "babyish" for liking things like that. Obviously I don't play with them, just like the way they look displayed on a shelf. Is it normal for adults to collect horse figurines?
I think that's beautiful that you collect horse figurines. I bet they look great. I am 30 and I collect dolls.

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm 24 years old and about two years ago I suddenly had an interest in horse figurines. I loved horses all my life but my parents could never afford lessons as a kid. Growing up I actually never heard of Breyer horses till two years ago and I wanted to start collecting them. I'm just afraid to tell people about my interest in horses and horse figurines because I've always been seen as being "babyish" for liking things like that. Obviously I don't play with them, just like the way they look displayed on a shelf. Is it normal for adults to collect horse figurines?

In my forties and collect a few toys for display, goes back to childhood, but enjoy them differently, like paintings and reminders of happier past days when life was less complicated.

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not at all babyish, now after forty five years of having my beautiful horses (I had three and they stayed with me all their lives) all I have now is my figurines.:(

Upvote 0

continueinfaith

Jan 1, 2016
USA
✟10,959.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand completely what you are talking about. For some reason many people think it's unacceptable for adults to like horses. Yet perfectly fine to like dogs or cats, or just about any other animal. I don't get it. Or maybe I do. I think it's due to horses being "girlified" as I call it, meaning how horse toys, figurines, or other such items are mostly marketed to young girls. Boys and men used to be able to like or ride horses, but now if they do their masculinity is questioned. Society has shifted its thinking to where it now associates horses with little girls, and the toy manufactures hold much of the responsibility.

When I had to move in with family several years ago, I had put some little horse figurines which I MADE around in my living area. I got chewed out royally, and told I was not allowed to "clutter up the place" with my "horse stuff", and then this person complained that I was acting childish by having them. Ever since that happened I have not been able to get back into making these figurines, which I used to enjoy as a hobby very much. That ruined it for me.

Even as a child, when my grandma (who was a dog person) lived with us, she scolded me over my interest in horses, indicating that I was abnormal and that I needed to "just love dogs like everyone else".

I really don't know why people aren't allowed to just be themselves when it comes to interests and hobbies. Collect what you like.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
It is *not* abnormal to love horses and enjoy figurines and collect whatever one wants to collect. I know loads of men who collect things like Star Wars dolls and tabletop gaming miniatures, and other people who spend all their time watching a bunch of grown people kicking balls around a field. There are lots of other examples. Some people really need to develop hobbies of their own so that they are focused on their own stuff rather than what other people are doing. (Obviously, even healthy hobbies could be taken to unhealthy extremes, but the assumption here is normal interests that are not affecting one's ability to fulfill any necessary life responsibilities.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums