Is It Appropriate to Listen to Music During Prayer?

Do you guys prefer music while praying?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Mind your own business

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Justinian

Jan 4, 2022
Austin
✟8,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I've recently discovered through my prayer life that I'm able to truly lay my emotions down before God and give everything over to him accompanied by music. I feel as if I'm able to navigate my emotions and baggage toward God when I'm listening to music and am able to find the love in my heart that I sometimes have trouble looking for. Is this a disrespect to have this music (important note: no inappropriate lyrics ) while talking to Him? If it is respectful which one is do you guys prefer? Music of silence?

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I listen to music when I pray. Music inspires me to worship God and sometimes God speaks to me through words in a song. Words to a song can also help me come up with words to pray. There are times though, when music can be distracting and it’s better to pray without it. I listen to Christian music when I pray, usually rock or alternative. Songs with lyrics that praise God or ask him for help. And I also usually keep it at a lower volume, unless I’m singing, then I turn it all the way up so nobody hears me!

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Justinian
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In my early years as a Christian I use to listen to religious music in order to meditate.
Eventually, I learned to do without it as I started to realize that good interior prayer
requires being in the present, and music usually took me away in my thoughts.

Now, music would be a distraction for me during contemplative prayer.
There are other times for listening to music for me.

That being said, everyone needs to follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit
and ask Him to help you to pray. If music is what's needed, He'll lead you to
the music you need. :D

Upvote 0

Justinian

Jan 4, 2022
Austin
✟8,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In my early years as a Christian I use to listen to religious music in order to meditate.
Eventually, I learned to do without it as I started to realize that good interior prayer
requires being in the present, and music usually took me away in my thoughts.

Now, music would be a distraction for me during contemplative prayer.
There are other times for listening to music for me.

That being said, everyone needs to follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit
and ask Him to help you to pray. If music is what's needed, He'll lead you to
the music you need. :D
Thank you!! I find a lot of comfort in your wording as it reminds me of catholic vocabulary and speech patterns that I've witnessed.

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I listen to music when I pray. Music inspires me to worship God and sometimes God speaks to me through words in a song. Words to a song can also help me come up with words to pray. There are times though, when music can be distracting and it’s better to pray without it. I listen to Christian music when I pray, usually rock or alternative. Songs with lyrics that praise God or ask him for help. And I also usually keep it at a lower volume, unless I’m singing, then I turn it all the way up so nobody hears me!

I feel the same way as you,Music helps me get more into Gods presence when I pray.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Often times I play Christian music when praying, it acts as a good background. People who write Christain music do so to honor God, often their words remind me of truths.
A lot of times when I read the Bible, I’ll find a verse or verses that sound like a Christian song I listen to.

Upvote 0