Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Is it allowed for Christians to eat Doner Kebab . I have not found straight answer , so I’m asking you .
I heard a preacher speaking on the topic of food. He said Christians should not eat "Halal" foods, as the animals slaughtered have been offered as a sacrifice to an idol. The Idol he referred to was Allah.

I haven't studied the new testament teaching on food, but the preacher did quote many Bible passages which supported his teaching on the subject.

One of the passages he quoted was something like "do not eat anything offered to idols", so it made sense to me. But I remember another Bible passage that said something like, "all food is clean if it is received with thanks".

There are lots of good sermons on this topic on www.sermonaudio.com

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2019
Shumen
✟10,272.00
Country
Bulgaria
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I heard a preacher speaking on the topic of food. He said Christians should not eat "Halal" foods, as the animals slaughtered have been offered as a sacrifice to an idol. The Idol he referred to was Allah.

I haven't studied the new testament teaching on food, but the preacher did quote many Bible passages which supported his teaching on the subject.

One of the passages he quoted was something like "do not eat anything offered to idols", so it made sense to me. But I remember another Bible passage that said something like, "all food is clean if it is received with thanks".

That’s a good statement . I agree with this .
87F0888C-4B5C-4A1B-A96F-1C7FC0CF0032.png

This is what I found . I also found that the meat is given a prayer . But if I am going to eat it - in my country the meat is made here in Bulgaria . The people who sell it is also Bulgarian - so I don’t think the meat is given a prayer at all. The wrong thing is if you eat it for an idol - which I will never going to do it . I am a little confused now...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Is it allowed for Christians to eat Doner Kebab . I have not found straight answer , so I’m asking you .

Usually, Arabic foods are good as Kosher (does not consist of food forbidden in the Bible).

So, I don't think it's a sin to eat Kebab unless you're trying to kill yourself by eating Kebab!

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know there has been a debate on that for a while. Gentile Christians are forbidden to eat any meat that has not had the blood properly drained (Acts 15) and food that is knowingly sacrificed to false gods. "Allah" as understood in islam IS a false god, and if the meat is blessed as halal by islamic clergy, then it is forbidden.

The vertical rotisserie used to make the OP type of donor kabob is fine. Most Greek restaurants use it when making Gyros. Just make sure the meat is NOT blessed by an imam.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All our meat in NZ is Halal slaughtered and offered to the god of Islam.

This was a Govt. decision for trade purposes.

But the bible says "all food is sanctified by the word of God and prayer"

So if your eating does not stumble a brother weak in faith then there is no problem.

• Agree
Reactions: miamited
Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,216.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I know there has been a debate on that for a while. Gentile Christians are forbidden to eat any meat that has not had the blood properly drained (Acts 15) and food that is knowingly sacrificed to false gods. "Allah" as understood in islam IS a false god, and if the meat is blessed as halal by islamic clergy, then it is forbidden.

The vertical rotisserie used to make the OP type of donor kabob is fine. Most Greek restaurants use it when making Gyros. Just make sure the meat is NOT blessed by an imam.
It's amazing how controversial the Word of God is, just about every Bible verse is being debated. Please don't quote me on this statistic, but I read somewhere that most Christians will change their view several times during their lives.

I'm sure we've all heard someone say, they used to think a particular Bible passage was teaching one thing then many years later the penny drops and they understand it in a different way.

God's ways are infinitely higher than ours, so we will continue learning about Him for eternity. I used to get upset with people who held to a different view on important Bible doctrine, now I just pray for them.

I invited a friend to Church and he refused to have lunch with us, because we eat bread which contains gluten. He said gluten is unhealthy and we should take care of our temple, so he left and never came back.

I believe it's good to discuss Bible doctrine, but I worry about the "debate" word. Debate is more like a political thing, where speakers come to sell their brand of Christianity. It takes many years of diligent study, to get an overall view of Scripture, and even then folks can miss an elephant in the room.

It's sad to see leaders of various Christian denominations, attack each other and assassinate each others character. I used to support a certain ministry, until I heard the preacher accuse a whole bunch of other preachers of being heretics.

I don't believe it's right to waste time talking about others, while we could be using that time to learn about God.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

from reading the Word on this, it seems Paul was refering to new christians who had been saved from pagan faiths where foold had been offered to idols and mnay of these new christians, having been saved from that, had a tender conscience over that still. so the church were told to not cause your brother to stumble by eating those foods in front of them, but if your conscience abot it is strong and you can eat without feeling you are sinning, then you yourself can eat them. buy whatever you want in the meat market, says Paul, asking no questions for conscience sake

re: Halal food, i myself am free to eat it. i have never been Muslim, so the idol of Allah has never meant anything to me. but if i were eating out with a brother or sister who did have a conscinece about whether they should eat halal kebabs or not, it would be the christian thing to do to say "you know what? if you struggle eating Halal meat, we can stay here an dorder the veggie option or we can go to another takeaway and eat something you are ok with"

Reactions: Dan1988
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes, but you must call it by the Greek name, yiros (γύρος). ;)

He said Christians should not eat "Halal" foods, as the animals slaughtered have been offered as a sacrifice to an idol. The Idol he referred to was Allah.

There's an answer for this in 1 Corinthians 10:25-30:

Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience. For “the earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof.” If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience. But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience— I do not mean your conscience, but his. For why should my liberty be determined by someone else's conscience? If I partake with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of that for which I give thanks?

Please, please, please, get your sermons from reputable pastors. Know who you are listening to.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: miamited
Upvote 0