Should Christians Watch Stranger Things? Is It a Sin?

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What's your opinion, and why?
Not at all. Why would it be? It's make believe.

If it doesn't sit right with your conscience, then don't watch :) I don't see anything sinful about the series, though.

Upvote 0

bottoWordx

Aug 27, 2020
northeast
✟19,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 10:23
All to the Glory of God
All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify.

Romans 14:22-23
Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.
But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.

Titus 1:15
To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled.

Colossians 2:20
Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— 21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,”

2 Timothy 2:4
No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I take it that ' strange things ' is a TV programs and that it is involved in questionable things.

If what you see disturbed you or make you have strange dreams than don't watch it.
If though there are nonchristian who do watch it and talk about it with you or in your hearing, then you need to be familiar with the structure of the programme and of the issues it touches upon as well as a Christian responce to those issues.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I take it that ' strange things ' is a TV programs and that it is involved in questionable things.

If what you see disturbed you or make you have strange dreams than don't watch it.
If though there are nonchristian who do watch it and talk about it with you or in your hearing, then you need to be familiar with the structure of the programme and of the issues it touches upon as well as a Christian responce to those issues.
It's a fantasy/sci-fi type show about kids who discover a sort of parallel dimension to ours, that they call "The Upside Down". And about the ensuing adventures and struggles with these inter-dimensional portals that open up and all the nasty things that get through. It's been incredibly popular, and I enjoyed it. I stopped following it after the second season, though.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I have never seen the show so I can't say yes/or no.

But biblically, it is not wrong to watch TV etc.

Ecc 7:16-17 Be not righteous overmuch; neither make thyself overwise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself? Be not overmuch wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time? It is good that thou shouldest take hold of this; yea, also from that withdraw not thy hand: for he that feareth God shall come forth from them all.

There is a form of man-made righteousness, that demands abstinence from all forms of entertainment. It causes heavy loads to be put on man's shoulders. If you ever hear yourself say "Oh I really wish I could watch that", it is probably a Ecc 7:16 moment.

A moment where God's word says "don't be overly righteous", don't carry heavy burdens.

However, if the show contains really questionable content such as nudity etc, then it may be time to give it up. Because if sturs lower passions in you.

• Winner
Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

Tyler52

Aug 11, 2019
Attica
✟29,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have never seen the show so I can't say yes/or no.

But biblically, it is not wrong to watch TV etc.

Ecc 7:16-17 Be not righteous overmuch; neither make thyself overwise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself? Be not overmuch wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time? It is good that thou shouldest take hold of this; yea, also from that withdraw not thy hand: for he that feareth God shall come forth from them all.

There is a form of man-made righteousness, that demands abstinence from all forms of entertainment. It causes heavy loads to be put on man's shoulders. If you ever hear yourself say "Oh I really wish I could watch that", it is probably a Ecc 7:16 moment.

A moment where God's word says "don't be overly righteous", don't carry heavy burdens.

However, if the show contains really questionable content such as nudity etc, then it may be time to give it up. Because if sturs lower passions in you.

That makes a lot of sense, I can tell you about the content if you want, but I'm going to respond to another post first, and see what the person says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tyler52

Aug 11, 2019
Attica
✟29,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's a fantasy/sci-fi type show about kids who discover a sort of parallel dimension to ours, that they call "The Upside Down". And about the ensuing adventures and struggles with these inter-dimensional portals that open up and all the nasty things that get through. It's been incredibly popular, and I enjoyed it. I stopped following it after the second season, though.

Would you like spoilers?

Upvote 0

Tyler52

Aug 11, 2019
Attica
✟29,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Watch it then ask yourself how God is glorified in it. If you can't find a way then it's unprofitable. Sin is a stretch but unprofitable is pretty useless in Gods economy if that be the case.

In your mind, should a Christian be entertained by the average secular video game or Tv Show/movie? Also, what is your opinion on Ecclesiastes 7:16-17

• Friendly
Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,052.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In your mind, should a Christian be entertained by the average secular video game or Tv Show/movie? Also, what is your opinion on Ecclesiastes 7:16-17

I thought I would respond to this. Not everyone is called to live full time in the ministry. As the bible says to some:

1Th 4:11 and that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your hands, even as we charged you;

However some even choose to not get married so they can attend to the things of the LORD without distraction.

1Co 7:35 And this I say for your own profit; not that I may cast a snare upon you, but for that which is seemly, and that ye may attend upon the Lord without distraction.

Computer games and TV are a distraction. They take up our time.

Some Christians choose to have a family, to have a job, and raise kids. For those, it is healthy to have some entertainment. However other Christians choose the ministry over a life of ease.

Even if we do watch TV, or play computer games, we need to ensure we are still daily in God's presence, I would recommend no less than an hour a day. This ensures that we remain spiritually healthy.

You have to be fully convinced of what God is calling you to. God will call you to a role that suits your personality and desires. A person who plays computer games and watches some TV can still minister. But as such a person we just have to be careful that TV and computer games do not become our life.

God wants happy followers, and that is what the verse in Ecc is about. The bible actually tells us to seek out what makes us happy.

Ecc 8:15 Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun.

It is no good being a miserable Christian. Hating life, because it is all too hard. Sure we will have trial and troubles in life, but it need not be a trial of our own making.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I watch strange things sometimes. Like when I am walking in the woods and I see a bird or squirrel do something strange. When I am in public I won't stare but I will get a good glance. People can really surprise you out there. When I see same sex lovers exchanging their unnatural affections that is not something I care to see as it makes me sick and just turn my head. Some hair colors are really weird and must be a lot of trouble.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

People will say " all this over lousy tv " ? Ya,yep.

Here are the verses you referenced but from the Amplified which expands some of the meaning though really the verses are pretty well self explanatory:
16 Do not be excessively righteous [like those given to self-conceit], and do not be overly wise (pretentious)—why should you bring yourself to ruin? 17 Do not be excessively or willfully wicked and do not be a fool. Why should you die before your time?

So self righteousness is of less profit than secular tv. To be pretentious has an air of deceit in it. By the way the pharisees were both. What the scripture is saying is these things that are over done are not happening in truth but are put on. Don't be a phony. If you're truly righteous we know it's of Jesus not us, and it's humbling because He Is our righteousness, we can't force something else or puff up. Wickedness and foolishness is something people do naturally, it's part of our old man. Not living in the spirit, as soon as we get off the spiritual track, most of us run smack into those things without even trying ! There are two ways to die, spiritual death or actual physical death. In either case we don't need to be acting foolishly to advance those things . Ok, Most secular tv at some point is inclusive of things not of God, lust, greed, murder, rob kill destroying, deceit, adultery, sorcery, no reference to a True and Living God. If even in it's subtleties. These are not things of God thus of no value to me. And if they are not of God then what are they of ? There are only two possibilities. Often things secular tv are agenda driven, they soften views, initiate thoughts. To what ? Anything but God.

I can't speak of video games, I've never played them. But to those who do,just apply the above.

There are actual true/real bible doctrines the Christian is to live life by, some are imperatives, some suggestions. It's all to our profit. Most of the world rejects them and unfortunately the world is moving into the churches. Then we come into the time where " they will not endure sound doctrine" in 2 Timothy 4 ( well worth a read). We either live for the true and living God through the Son or we make a god in our own image. And a god in our own image allows in controversial things compared to a pure true and Living God. And they say well gee Dave that's awfully strong words. And I answer yes, indeed. Ya know 41 years ago I came to know Jesus Christ, I received the Holy Spirit. And I went back to my church seeking to know more about Jesus. I couldn't find Him there ! Plenty about bake sales though. So I say tread softly, really look. All secular tv isn;t bad, I watch 40 minutes a week or so myself though mostly not, but really it's on "average" ( you did ask) not very good.

Above I said "seek first the kingdom of God", that's Matthew 6:33 but in it is a comma and it goes on to say "And His righteousness, then these things will be added to you". If you find yourself seeking everything else first, then God, and besides that the entertainment you seek is full of the things mentioned above, you're off track, you have Matt 6:33 backwards, IMO. And it's opinion based on scripture. Look, if we look on a women with lust, that's adultery in the heart according to scripture. Under the law (since folks seem to have brought up old testament) there were 613 old testament laws, but even if we just go with the ten commandments, to break one is to be guilty of them all !! If you can look at secular tv today and not see the scenarios set up as being sinful and if you yourself can look on the scant dress and not honestly lust in the heart there is no sin, a gross waste of time but maybe no sin.. But I suspect you will find yourself stirred up at the least or why watch it ? And then of course we aren't living in the old testament times, we have a savior and " Romans 5:20: where sin abounds grace much more abounds". But we need to seek the mercy/grace ! So there you have it, it's much easier to avoid the pitfalls in the first place. People today are lax on just how seriously God takes sin. And I'll leave you with that much, though there is much more. Hang your hat on our savior, trust Him, believe Him and above all put Him first, then consider what you watch, if it's decent then watch it.... No loss, maybe no gain but no loss.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Watch it then ask yourself how God is glorified in it. If you can't find a way then it's unprofitable. Sin is a stretch but unprofitable is pretty useless in Gods economy if that be the case.

YouTube has plenty of sermons and bible study videos to watch. Myself I hardly ever watch TV shows anymore. I would rather spend my time learning and preparing for Christs return.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
YouTube has plenty of sermons and bible study videos to watch. Myself I hardly ever watch TV shows anymore. I would rather spend my time learning and preparing for Christs return.
Amen. Not to mention there are many other things to do. In whatever we do, do it to the glory of God, include Him.

• Agree
Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0