is it a sin to watch scary movies with ghosts?

Redbucket55

Feb 5, 2020
La
✟9,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I mean after all once Jesus sets us free, we are free indeed...I'm not encouraging it but I won't judge you either for wanting to watch a scary movie because honestly I love some horror movies...but like I said as long as you keep your heart in check..and don't forget about God..I think it's ok...I think the point is to keep the Lord in our hearts and thoughts....

Upvote 0

rhawk

I'm a CAT-HOLIC, proud cat parent & Catholic.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Montana
✟420,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It is good you question things, how we learn or start that process. My opinion - no. Unless you believe in the ghosts and attempt to communicate with them, I believe THAT goes against the bibles teachings. You seem to know they are fictional, and thus they are fine, no more wrong than having dreams or an imagination.

I know others will not agree with me, but hey, this is life and until we are dead, how we perceive everything is opinion really. We simply do the best we can to understand the world and live by God's teachings.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Was wondering if its a sin to watch scary movies with ghosts etc?

It's definitely not a sin to watch scary movies with friends and with loved ones!

But with ghosts!!?? Don't you think you're pushing it too far??

• Agree
Reactions: tulc and Tone
Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
No, don't believe so. We all know movies aren't real. Scary movies are not about the viewer being tormented by spiritual fear, they have more in common with thrill rides in an amusement park. The thing goes boo, we twitch, and then shove some more popcorn in our throats. If the ghost movie is well-made and has some vision, which is rare, there will be suspension of disbelief and the movie will be more effective with its emotional manipulation, thus making it better for people who appreciate the deeper experience of cinema and the whole craft. But suspension of disbelief does not mean belief. If I watch a ghost movie now, and I'm immersed, it does not mean that I will now place my faith in fictional ghosts instead of Christ. It just means I saw a movie that worked for me.

If I'm a little scared while watching a movie (in the safe comfort of my home), it's just an experience I kind of went for. I got the entertainment value out of it. It's another thing to be afraid OF movies, as if they had some power over you, which I don't believe they do. I wouldn't show young children the movies I like to watch, and that's another discussion entirely, but I assume we're all adults in this thread - or at least almost adults. I'm also not saying that people should watch or approve of things they object to. We object what we object. But that wasn't the point of this thread either, I don't think.

That's what I think, and my intention isn't to annoy those who think differently.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,340.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think the Lord will send someone to hell for wanting to watch a scary movie on Friday night. ..

You won't be sent to hell but watch the wrong thing and hell might come to you. God Bless :)

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,013.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No, but if it's scary, why would you want to?
Why subject yourself to fear, nightmares and so on?

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,329.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
is it th
Yes it is a sin to do such things because the writers and directors, and the producers who create such movies are under the influence of Lucifer and other satanic agents. Those scary movies are used to instill fear in the people of the supernatural elements of this world, all the while, most of those people do not even believe that real demons exist. So what does this create? It creates disillusionment with God, because once the people are in a state of fear, it allows Lucifer and his satanic agents the opportunity to inflict great danger on the lives of these people and those people will never turn to God for help.

You will notice that the closer you come to God, you cannot even watch such nonsense scary movies. Those scary, horror thrillers are only enticing to those who do not take Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Those scary horror movies are only for the unbelievers.

We are living in end times. The devil knows that time is running out before Christ returns and declares judgement. Therefore madness is running helter-skelter throughout this world. Be careful of what you ingest into your mind with your eyes. Satanic agents are initiating unsuspecting people with many of these movies. Read the bible, Go to Church, Pray for Holy Spirit Fire to protect you.
The devil is no match for the God, always be careful of anything in this world that tries to instill fear into you. Anything that try to instill fear into you is of the devil. There should only be fear of God or the Devil will devour you.

Go in peace to love and serve the lord
e same with scary games with jumpscares i like those and horror movies but i am born again and will quit watching and playing those if so

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is a sin to do such things because the writers and directors, and the producers who create such movies are under the influence of Lucifer and other satanic agents. Those scary movies are used to instill fear in the people of the supernatural elements of this world, all the while, most of those people do not even believe that real demons exist. So what does this create? It creates disillusionment with God, because once the people are in a state of fear, it allows Lucifer and his satanic agents the opportunity to inflict great danger on the lives of these people and those people will never turn to God for help.

You will notice that the closer you come to God, you cannot even watch such nonsense scary movies. Those scary, horror thrillers are only enticing to those who do not take Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Those scary horror movies are only for the unbelievers.

We are living in end times. The devil knows that time is running out before Christ returns and declares judgement. Therefore madness is running helter-skelter throughout this world. Be careful of what you ingest into your mind with your eyes. Satanic agents are initiating unsuspecting people with many of these movies. Read the bible, Go to Church, Pray for Holy Spirit Fire to protect you.
The devil is no match for the God, always be careful of anything in this world that tries to instill fear into you. Anything that try to instill fear into you is of the devil. There should only be fear of God or the Devil will devour you.

Go in peace to love and serve the lord
I agree with your view. I would add that it is probably sinful to watch any TV show, movie, theater, concert or any other worldly entertainment.. Even if you feel that it is fine... we must remember that this is 2020 and time is short... The evil is woven through all entertainment.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You won't be sent to hell but watch the wrong thing and hell might come to you. God Bless :)
Again, I have said this before... Nothing "Sends you to hell".

I hear this all the time, even here on this forum.. "That will send you to hell" or... "You do that and you will be sent straight to hell".

This is false..

We are all "going to hell". This is due to the fact that "all have sinned and come short of the glory to God.

However, "Believe in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved"

We all start out in the proverbial hand basket on the way to hell.

With Christ.. we are assured that this does not happen.. Deny Christ... and enjoy the trip in your crowded hand basket.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know .. for me when I got lol.. when He found me I didn't just change stop doing anything. Not what Hes about. For some its fast others its slow. Just out of no where you start to feel "I don't like doing this any more". I LOVED listening to acid rock music. There were always those that said I should stop. Yet one day .. I just didn't like it at all any more.

You me have a Christ in us. Ask Him.. take the time to listen.. He will give you a peace. For me right now? Yeah.. no way would I watch them. Remember there is no condemnation to them in Christ Jesus. He will always give you a peace.. but do we listen? ;)

Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Psalm 101:3 KJV — I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

Deuteronomy 18:10-13
10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
13 Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God.

To look on these things which are in scary movies is an abomination to God. Look at what Paul says not referring to this list but wickedness in general:

Romans 1:32 KJV — Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Our motto should sound something like Joshua's:

Joshua 24:15 KJV — And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

With Love, In Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IntriKate

Nov 23, 2019
✟105,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For me personally I used to love horror movies but the closer I got to God the more aware I became of things against him. There’s a feeling or a unspoken knowing that it’s not right so if that makes it a sin I don’t know but I do know I wouldn’t watch it with Jesus beside me so I fight the desire to binge watch horror now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Why would you? "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things." Philippians 4:8.

The constant injunction from the Word of God is "Do not fear". All things are lawful to the Christian but not all things are edifying. I'd include horror movies in that.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No.

But most American ghost movies are horrible to watch anyway. It's all special effects and jump scares.

I think the best Western ghost movie that I've seen in recent years was Haunting of the Hillhouse on netflix, it was just so well paced, great story telling, the scares weren't over done "shock value" inserts.
I thought 6th sense was good too because of it's story.

If you want good ghost movies I suggest foreign Asian films.

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0