• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is it a sin to smoke weed? Serious answers only?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by pinkjess, Oct 19, 2018.

1. pinkjess

pinkjess There she goes...at the speed of sound

+429
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    With all the places that are legalizing dope I can't help but wonder what God thinks of smoking weed. I don't believe the plant itself is wrong, because CBD oil has helped a lot of people and can be useful for medicine, but I'm not sure about the THC part of it. THC is the part that gets people "high".

I look at it as, it is still a form of intoxication like drinking too much alcohol so it should be treated as such. I don't believe our bodies were created to "smoke" anything. Using weed as an escape from reality is wrong too and unfruitful. God does not enjoy drunkeness does He not?. I'd like to hear some other people's thoughts on dope.

Do you think smoking dope is wrong? Why or why not?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. LessThanPerfect2016

LessThanPerfect2016 Catechumen Supporter

+357
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    CBD no because it's being used a medication for an ailment. THC is sinful in my opinion yes. It's giving in to pleasures of the flesh, and does nothing to glorify God. Also, our bodies are a temple of the Holy Spirit, and should be treated as such. Anything less than that is sinful, including getting drunk.

Just my opinion.

3. EzekielsWheels

EzekielsWheels Active Member Supporter

+275
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I think as the OP stated a state of "drunkenness" (this can even apply to food) or intoxication is sinful no matter what you consume or use to get you into that state. I do not believe the Lord proscribes alcohol, as wine gladdens the heart of man but there is a fine line and only we (and the Lord) know when we've crossed it (unless of course our foolishness manifests itself for others to witness). I would advise against taking anything that makes you lose control of your faculties.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+5,321
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    A friend of mine has a son who has severe debilitating epilepsy. They recently found that a liquid form of the marijuana plant (a combination of THC and CBD) helps him significantly. He still has severe seizures, but it is more manageable. This is the only thing that has worked for him. Personally, I don’t believe they are sinning by using that for him to have a life he can live in. Smoking marijuana for the purposes of getting high or to the point of losing control - I’m uncomfortable with that and do not feel like that is a good behavior.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. dqhall

dqhall Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,299
    Christian
    Single
    Marijuana is toxic in high doses. Colorado noticed an increase in auto accidents and emergency room visits related to marijuana side effects after legalizing marijuana. Some studies found increased incidence of psychosis in habitual users of marijuana. People stoned on dope hallucinated and were impaired. Some reported cognitive decline among marijuana addicts.

6. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,232
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    THC could be useful for some medical and psychiatric conditions as it increases neuroplasticity, so I don't think I'd say it's inherently sinful just because it's potentially pleasurable.

I'm not a fan of smoking anything now days, it's bad for your lungs.

It certainly does not deserve the harsh criminal penalties it had in the past in most places.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. LessThanPerfect2016

+357
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Yes, that's different. I think the reason for using it needs to be considered. Medical reasons are entirely different, and definitely not misuse in my opinion.

8. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+5,321
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Interesting thing is that anyone who is a US federal employee can’t use it for medical purposes....it’s illegal for any of them, and can prevent them from being employed there, even if their state allows it.

9. LessThanPerfect2016

+357
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    True. In my opinion the federal government is behind the times on the medical portion of marijuana use.

10. Hazelelponi

Hazelelponi Just someone with no business here

+1,265
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I don't know anything about it other than what people say. I think people say that it's mind altering in the same way alcohol is.

The Bible has nothing against a little wine, whether celebrating a wedding or festival, or whether for medicinal purposes - to relieve pain.

There is everything against being drunk instead of sober however, that is classified as a sin. And of course being an alcoholic is a sin too.

So, if you can smoke weed without getting stoned, (don't know if that is possible) then your in the clear.

Also, if you do it for a medicinal purpose your in the clear.

However, you cannot get "high", because you wouldn't be sober minded. And you cannot be addicted to it.

most likely. I don't intend to ever explore the topic further though. I don't even drink wine but in super small amounts (1/2 glass at best) and very very very rarely.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  11. bcbsr

bcbsr Newbie

+1,015
    Christian
    Much the same question as smoking, drinking, getting tatooes and the like. In all such cases I would simply as to why they do it. Is it something Jesus would do?

2Cor 5:15 "He died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again."

12. pinkjess

pinkjess There she goes...at the speed of sound

+429
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    I like this answer the best. It is very true. What would Jesus do? I don't really see Jesus sitting on a hill smoking a blunt with the disciples trying to get an emotional high. Then there are people who justify using dope for pleasure by saying, "Well, God made the plant--what else would He have created it for?"

13. Greg J.

Greg J. Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,868
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Self-discipline is a fruit of the Spirit, and having good judgment is a fruit of spiritual maturity. Anything that alters our ability to be wise, careful with our words, affects our faith in God, or faithful behavior is contrary to who God is transforming us into. Intentionally sending yourself the other direction, even temporarily, is a sin unless there is a higher moral reason to lose sound judgment, such as obeying a command of God (e.g., being a good steward of your body and sanity). Jesus died so we could have wisdom, self-discipline, and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7, Galatians 5:23).

In some cases, what you believe about it matters (Romans 14:5), as well as how it will affect others that see that you approve of it (Romans 14:15).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  14. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+5,077
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Is it a sin to smoke weed? Serious answers only?

Might depend on how much we smoke? (might -- big word.)
    This is one of those -- might be sin for me and possibly not sin for you?
    Does it separate me from God?
    What does the bible say regarding being a drunkard?
    Or a pot head?
    M-Bob

15. longwait

longwait Well-Known Member

+406
    Christian
    Married
    All addictions are wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. LoricaLady

LoricaLady YHWH's

+3,993
    Messianic
    Private
    I have seen studies showing that it causes damage to the brain. Of course your Father wants you fully functional. For medical purposes well that is different.

17. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,869
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    Private
    Just because you partake in x, y or z doesn't mean you're addicted to them.

18. Doctor.Sphinx

Doctor.Sphinx Well-Known Member

+2,683
    Egypt
    Christian
    Private
    US-Constitution
    I think this is untrue. Do you have a source?

19. LoricaLady

LoricaLady YHWH's

+3,993
    Messianic
    Private
    Another thing to consider for those who say marijuana is harmless. Think about it. Smoke is going into your mouth and your lungs. How can that possibly not be unhealthy? Now some may eat it, but again, how healthy is that for your brain? Many years ago when I ate some brownies with marijuana I would get ravenously hungry. Many people have experienced that hunger, too. So eating marijuana is throwing your normal body functions out of whack. How can that be good for anyone?

Yes, I also smoked it years ago, and found it could have negative effects. I wasn't as sharp emotionally or mentally. Sometimes I would feel paranoid or even very depressed. Really, unless you are in a state where it is regulated, you don't know at all for sure what in the heck is in what you get. There are, uh, "additives" sometimes. Why avoid additives in food, them inhale unknown ones and/or eat them?

Does the Father want us messing with our brains and emotions and taking chances with them? No. Also, it is breaking the law in most states.

20. Doctor.Sphinx

Doctor.Sphinx Well-Known Member

+2,683
    Egypt
    Christian
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Perhaps the smoke rejuvenates one's lungs. In this day and age, there's all sorts of impurities in the atmosphere, so you never know how cannabis smoke could be healthy in lung healing.

Perhaps you were anorexic, and the cannabis was helping to restore your normal metabolism?