TheyCallMeDavid

May 13, 2013
Florida
✟4,108.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Obviously dont drive when experiencing altered states of reality. Relax on a couch and have visions and realizations. Cannabis isn't bad. I would never use cyanide nor cigarettes, cigarettes might be legal but they're much more toxic than cannabis,they cause cancer, cannabis might cure cancer. Okay so maybe it being natural doesn't mean its good, but it IS good, so its a gift, it was made by God to help people.

Tell all this nonsense to the families whos lost and will continue to loose innocent loved ones directly due to a stoned Driver . Cannibais 'isn't bad' only to them that could give a damn and who find it necessary to escape their sad reality for awhile . They need God in their life for great meaning and purpose....and not a weed to idolize.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2014
Maryland
✟7,639.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tell all this nonsense to the families whos lost and will continue to loose innocent loved ones directly due to a stoned Driver . Cannibais 'isn't bad' only to them that could give a damn and who find it necessary to escape their sad reality for awhile . They need God in their life for great meaning and purpose....and not a weed to idolize.

I dont idolize weed, I see it as a tool to use, nothing more. And its usually alcohol use that causes car accidents, NOT cannabis at all, but I said, no one should be using any substance and driving. THAT is wrong. THAT being wrong doesn't make the substance itself wrong, but the using it while driving that is wrong. Any other time in your house or outside in nature is perfectly fine.

Upvote 0
I

iluvtheSims

I agree we are not under the law, but God never threw the law out either.

Do I think smoking Marijuana is a sin? Possibly yes and no. If you abuse and smoke marijuana to get high then it may be, that is up to the individual. We Christians that have received the Holy Spirit are given the discernment to know right from wrong, so if we do wrong the Holy Spirit will convict us and let us know. I feel Marijuana is okay if it's for health reasons, like if one has seizures, has cancer, or any other sickness and disease, but to abuse Marijuana to get high in my opinion is not okay.

All this does not mean I think a person will be sent to hell for smoking Marijuana but I do think abusing it can open a door way for demonic attacks.

I will also admit that Marijuana is VERY beneficial for ones health, but NOT in the form of smoking but in the form of ingesting cannabis oil.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2014
Maryland
✟7,639.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree we are not under the law, but God never threw the law out either.

Do I think smoking Marijuana is a sin? Possibly yes and no. If you abuse and smoke marijuana to get high then it may be, that is up to the individual. We Christians that have received the Holy Spirit are given the discernment to know right from wrong, so if we do wrong the Holy Spirit will convict us and let us know. I feel Marijuana is okay if it's for health reasons, like if one has seizures, has cancer, or any other sickness and disease, but to abuse Marijuana to get high in my opinion is not okay.

All this does not mean I think a person will be sent to hell for smoking Marijuana but I do think abusing it can open a door way for demonic attacks.

I will also admit that Marijuana is VERY beneficial for ones health, but NOT in the form of smoking but in the form of ingesting cannabis oil.

I think its not a sin to use it to get high. For example depression is one of the illnesses that a small amount of cannabis can cure. I believe it should be vaporized or taken orally. Cannabis gives you a heightened state of awareness and is inspirational for meditation and prayer. I dont use it anymore, but I have had moments where I feel like I'm on it, and believe that God has put it in my body to give me the higher inspired state of mind. Im sure he can do that (make my mind whole) without cannabis, but Im sure He created cannabis for a reason, it is medicine, but its not just medicine for the body that can cure cancer and other illnesses, it can also cure the mind. So can small doses of DMT. And higher doses of DMT can give you visions. Sure it can be over used and abused if it isn't respected and seen as a gift from God, but occasionally (twice a week say) getting high isn't abusing cannabis, in fact, that is one of the purposes for which it was created for I believe. And I hope its in heaven! If it is Im right but if its not I can live without it happily. Do you think there is cannabis in heaven?

Upvote 0
B

Blessedj01

As a long time smoker and a Christian myself, I can honestly not recommend marijuana to you.

It will slow down your walk, open you up to temptation and ultimately could affect your health.

On top of that, there is a spiritual element to all hallucinogens/psychedelics that makes them potentially dangerous.

Weed was great when I didn't feel like I had a lot to lose.

Nowadays I do, and on top of everything else, I don't need another habit to drag me backwards.

Give up now. Before you waste your time, money and relationships.

A wise man knows that the less things he relies on, the more he controls his destiny.

I'd say this about every drug, including alcohol, but discernment is with the individual. What's in your heart?

And lastly, I'm not convinced that weeds are in keeping with God's natural order before the fall.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Outlier

Apr 20, 2011
Shelby County, OH
✟16,698.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Its a sin to disobey God-given authority first and foremost unless that authority is asking you to do something against your religion. Smoking marijuana may not be against someone's religion. But when not smoking it is against their religion, and they have made that drug their religion, then that typically means they are an addict who needs to seek help.

If it is legal, then the question is: Is it wise? I say no. Sure it may do some good things. I say avoid addictive activities- especially if getting high makes you think you are superman. I don't want to drive on the road with people who think they are superman. They tend to have lead feet and change lanes without using their turn signal. They also tend to break the law.

Upvote 0

Jig

Christ Follower
Oct 3, 2005
Texas
✟8,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I say avoid addictive activities.

Addiction - when it doesn't include chemical dependence - is very subjective. Essentially anything can become "addictive" - collecting stamps, playing a sport, running, watching TV, sex, eating, video games, etc. Should we stay away from all of these activities too?

The key isn't avoiding activities that could be abused. The key is to do those activities in moderation as to prevent abuse.

Oh, and fyi - physical (chemical) dependence to cannabis has never been proven. It is only addictive in the same sense as playing video games.

Upvote 0

Martin777

Nov 11, 2014
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yes using mariguana to get high is a sin,our body is the temple of the holy spirit so why would you disrespect tyhe holy ghost?get in the word and ask god to give you wisdom,read proverbs,dont let satan confuse your mind with earthly desires,god didnt create mariguana to destroy yourself,dont be deceived.
I agree totally that our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and smoking destroys the Holy Spirit temple and is therefore a sin. Well said.

I also believe this applies to addiction to food, which is often turned a blind eye to in the church. I see FAT people attending church and then GOING OUT TO A BUFFET after church and getting even fatter, and no one says a thing to them. FAT people will not go to heaven because of their sin of destroying the temple of the Holy Spirit through their addiction. As far as Christians smoking marijuana, I don't know of any, but FAT people who CLAIM to be Christians, I know lots.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If my friend has a cannabis card, which makes it legal in your state, is it a sin?

I feel that it is natural and God gave it to us. Why would God create it if it was not made for this purpose. Hemp and Marijuana are not the same plant either. Also if you use a vaporizer you cause your lungs zero harm. So is it still a sin? My heart feels that it is not?

What are your opinions?

We are called to "remain sober."

You should love God, do his will, and remain sober.
And do not judge others who do not remain sober.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

suba

Follower of Christ
Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
✟7,720.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 thing i love about Herb
is how it deepens the moment -
drawing us in/to it.

When i'm bored i watch television -
half-assing something on the side to justify the wasted time.

I partook of the Sacred Herb
and now I'm meditating on Happiness:

How awesome is that!

I am a huge advocate for the de-criminalization of Herb, and not because i want to get high, to make profits, to clothe our children, fuel our cars, and to use it as medicine, but because of its energetic effects.

There is always a tendency to take a bad example and use it as the poster child for why not to do something. The fact is, Herb is a natural substance that helps us connect with the moment, to witness the power and beauty of God's creation.

We hear stories of people just sitting on the couch doing nothing, but there are those who create beauty, who contemplate on God's wonder, who partake in God's Sacred Herb to help connect them with the Divine. That is what i do.

I sit down every night, or almost every night, when my kids are asleep, and partake in Herb. Then i light some incense, give thanks for all the blessings in my life, read some scripture and open myself up to the Holy Spirit. Praying and meditating for hours on end, seeking Divine Inspiration and Understanding. I fail to see how that is a bad thing.

While I understand it is a law in most states, in Washington it is legal, so morally there is no wrong - it is just a preference thing.

To answer the original posters question: It is absolutely not a sin to smoke Herb. It is a blessing.

Suba

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟265,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To speak of this to believers, if you take marijuana and it is not for health reasons, then it is only for the effect of altering your mind. Why do you want to do that? It is not a way of coming to any godliness. The meditation that you should have is on biblical things and these are such that should bring you closer to Yahweh God, and living so as to have others brought to godliness, in Christ, with loving and being of help. It does not depend on chemical alteration. Deliberate chemical alteration of our minds is a distraction from that, any happiness from it is elusive and not toward eternal results.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To speak of this to believers, if you take marijuana and it is not for health reasons, then it is only for the effect of altering your mind. Why do you want to do that? .

And if you are in good health, it is harmful. Therefore, traditional Christian thinking is that it would be a sin.

Upvote 0

suba

Follower of Christ
Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
✟7,720.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Blessings Everyone,

We know from neurology that shutting down the lights, closing our eyes, lighting incenses, sitting next to candles, setting intentions, focusing our attention, praying, meditating, singing, being part of a large group of people such as church service or even a concert alters our minds, shifting our brain frequencies more to alpha and theta waves.

As to your question Fred V B, while i understand the negative connotations of altering our minds, there is plenty of precedence for the utilization of mind altering substances for religious and spiritual reasons. The question is not, "is it wrong to use," but "does it help us." I can tell you definitively that in my experience, it absolutely does.

A second question i would ask is, "is it necessary." I would answer no. It is not necessary, and in truth, it could be counter-productive in some cases. I hope in answering my second question honestly that it shows you that i do understand both sides of the issue. I am not just blindly advocating for this Sacred Herb as a means to get high and corrupt our children. It is not for everyone.

As for it not being a means to godliness, i disagree. In my experience, Herb has invited insights, patience, honesty, compassion, joyfulness, childlike innocence, a desire to become honest, a means to help me overcome lustfulness, fear, anger, and so much more. In addition, instead of just reading a scripture, praying, and meditating for thirty minutes or so, i find myself spending hours a day doing these things instead of wasting time watching television or just being in a blah state. I am more present with my children and wife, i am more focused on GOD throughout my day rather than just once in a while as before. If these things, which i can directly attribute to my partaking of Herb is not inviting godliness into my life, than i do not know what is.

What i hear from others is that there is a general repulsion towards its use but very few who will actually go to the extreme and state that it is a sin to use this herb GOD has given us.

If we really want to get down to it, if it is wrong to utilize herb because it is harmful, which, in moderation is no more harmful than someone who eats fast food once in a while or drinks coffee on a daily basis, than we would have to go down that road and say that anything we consume that is harmful, hash music, violent television, unhealthy eating habits, sitting all day and not getting exercise, and a hundred other things must come under the chopping block: throwing that first stone and all.

As for altering the mind, that brings in all people that drink alcohol – which includes those who use it during communion. Is it a sin to drink. Of course, there are extremist who would say it is, relating say, the story of Noah as a good starting point for that argument, but does not even Jesus drink wine?

As for breaking the federal law, that is something that will come to an end i believe in a year or two. The Feds have already ended their resistance to the medical side, give it a few years of raking in the taxes and the recreational side will end that resistance as well. The current stance from the Feds regarding Washington, where i live, and Colorado is that they are letting the states do their thing. A test of sorts. And so far, things have been looking up. Taxes are up, money is being saved for less drug related imprisonment, and so forth.

Of course, there are always going to be those examples of why it is a bad thing. Stupid drivers, dumb teenagers, and so forth. But that has been going on long before its legalization. Even if we took away all pharmaceuticals and alcohol, the dumb just huff gas or something else.

To sum up:
  • For those against it because of its legality: I live in Washington so that does not apply.
  • For those against it for health reasons: in moderation it is no worse than fast food, daily coffee drinking, or being stressed out (which i might add is one of the leading triggers for disease)
  • For those against it for mind altering reasons: praying, studying, meditating, celebrating, and such all have mind altering affects/effects, which, when directed towards spiritual aims leads us towards being more spiritual.

Be Blessed Everyone

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
H

HiddenChalice

If my friend has a cannabis card, which makes it legal in your state, is it a sin?

I feel that it is natural and God gave it to us. Why would God create it if it was not made for this purpose. Hemp and Marijuana are not the same plant either. Also if you use a vaporizer you cause your lungs zero harm. So is it still a sin? My heart feels that it is not?

What are your opinions?

Well, Jesus turned water into wine. Paul suggested Timothy drink wine to deal with his stomach condition.

Marijuana? It can affect your perspective, from person-to-person? It isn't like wine, where you can avoid getting drunk. Marijuana affects people differently from person-to-person, and can induce psychosis, which describes conditions that affect the mind. I don't know about you, but unless you got a medical condition which is painful and you REALLY need it to take away the pain, I'd personally stay away from it even though it seems to be a popular natural remedy to use...

Shrooms are natural...yet I can't see any christians using them for any reason. What is your intention for marijuana, is it to get high, the marijuana-equivilent of getting drunk, basically?

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟265,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The flaw is thinking that God is not enough, and God will not provide for our relationship and spiritual growth, without alteration in our minds from chemicals we should take. It doesn't say that from God's word, which tells us all the things we need to know for such things. Rather we are warned to not depart from anything God does tell us. And we are to be sober and so to have our minds sober. Coming to be at peace and being loving is very good and we need trust of God to have it be brought about not aids for it that are not mentioned for it.

Upvote 0

bottledwater

Under Construction
Mar 1, 2015
✟1,505.00
Faith
Christian

What are your opinions?

God created us to breathe the air. Anything other than that is not natural. Even if the plant is natural. And I am pretty sure you said it yourself, when you said, "if you use a bong or vaporizer, you cause your lungs zero harm".
Your friend has a card. You don't. It is illegal for you.
Do you see how you are tainting the truth, in order to get what you want.
Cigarettes are legal. Are they good for you. Nope. is it a sin to smoke. If it has control over you, then yes.
You may say that the pot has no power over you. I say anything that has you telling lies, or sinning to justify it. Has power over you. Then it is a sin to continue in it.
What about vaporizers that asthmatics use? Are they a sin to use. It's funny how nobody questions these, and yet they are unnatural.
You see, we know when something is a sin to use. In fact we show that we know by asking whether it is or not. We are actually looking for an out. Approval to use it. When we know all along what is right and what is wrong.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe that marijuana use is always sin.
But I do believe that if you're convicted in your heart, then it is.
I also believe that if it's not legal in your state, then it's sin.
Also believe we focus way too much on sin lol.

That being said, be not drunk with wine which is excess,
(or overly relaxed (stoned) with weed?)
BUT.. be filled with the Spirit instead!!!!

God equating being filled with the Spirit, with being drunk?
He kind of is.
How come?
How do you "BE" filled with the Spirit, INSTEAD?
And who was He speaking to? Those who were His
already, who already had His Spirit...

Food for thought..
Just sayin'...

Blessings

Upvote 0