Is it a sin to marry a non-Christian? Non-Orthodox?

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If it is a sin for an Eastern Orthodox to marry a non-Orthodox then that pretty much guarantees that I'll be single forever.

Don’t become partners with those who do not believe. For what partnership is there between righteousness and lawlessness?Or what fellowship does light have with darkness?(2 Corinthians 6:14).

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If it is a sin for an Eastern Orthodox to marry a non-Orthodox then that pretty much guarantees that I'll be single forever.

Don’t become partners with those who do not believe. For what partnership is there between righteousness and lawlessness?Or what fellowship does light have with darkness?(2 Corinthians 6:14).

This is something to ask your priest. But no, Orthodox are given permission to marry other Christians.

I would strongly urge not to marry one whose beliefs are a far divergence. But you should discuss this with your priest.

Christians are not to marry non-Christians, if they are already Christian before they marry. Sometimes two non-believers marry and one later becomes Christian. It can be a very difficult situation.

• Informative
Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
well, if you are Orthodox and marry a non-Christian you are excommunicated, because marriage is a sacrament of the Church. marrying a heterodox Christian is not an issue per say, but it must be an Orthodox marriage.

• Informative
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
well, if you are Orthodox and marry a non-Christian you are excommunicated, because marriage is a sacrament of the Church. marrying a heterodox Christian is not an issue per say, but it must be an Orthodox marriage.
What happens in the case of a heterodox married couple in which one of them later becomes Orthodox? How does the Church see that marriage? Is there a need to marry after that within the Church, or does the previous commitment “count” in the eyes of the Church?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What happens in the case of a heterodox married couple in which one of them later becomes Orthodox? How does the Church see that marriage? Is there a need to marry after that within the Church, or does the previous commitment “count” in the eyes of the Church?

they can request the marriage be blessed, but the Church doesn't judge what folks do prior to becoming Orthodox. we accept they did the best with the light they had, and are seen as married, and hope the other spouse joins the Church.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
they can request the marriage be blessed, but the Church doesn't judge what folks do prior to becoming Orthodox. we accept they did the best with the light they had, and are seen as married, and hope the other spouse joins the Church.
Thank you, Father.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yup, I am one of those. I wondered if the Church saw me as married, even with no Sacrament. Yes, she does. And I also wondered if I could serve as a sponsor. According to my priest, yes I can.

This actually came up because some thought I shouldn't receive the Eucharist because I was married outside the Church. If an Orthodox person did so, they would have to be reconciled back to the Church first. Father explained that was like receiving someone then immediately excommunicating them. Since my husband might never allow our marriage to be blessed, that would amount to barring me from the Church. And it doesn't work like that. Thank God. :)

(We have some extremely strict parishioners who are too strict on their own selves for their own good. Apparently because of the persecution they were raised under and having lived in an Orthodox country.)

• Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yup, I am one of those. I wondered if the Church saw me as married, even with no Sacrament. Yes, she does. And I also wondered if I could serve as a sponsor. According to my priest, yes I can.

This actually came up because some thought I shouldn't receive the Eucharist because I was married outside the Church. If an Orthodox person did so, they would have to be reconciled back to the Church first. Father explained that was like receiving someone then immediately excommunicating them. Since my husband might never allow our marriage to be blessed, that would amount to barring me from the Church. And it doesn't work like that. Thank God. :)

(We have some extremely strict parishioners who are too strict on their own selves for their own good. Apparently because of the persecution they were raised under and having lived in an Orthodox country.)
Thank you, @~Anastasia~ .

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Father, could you explain the reasoning behind this a bit more? If one spouse is outside the Orthodox Church, why does it matter if heterodox or non-Christian from the EOC perspective?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Father, could you explain the reasoning behind this a bit more? If one spouse is outside the Orthodox Church, why does it matter if heterodox or non-Christian from the EOC perspective?

well, non-Christian is easy. it's a sacrament of the Church, so you should commonly have a similar starting point with the God Who sanctifies the sacrament. we believe Christ is present during the marital union, so you can't have one spouse affirming that and one rejecting Him. at least another Christian affirms it is Christ at work between husband and wife.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
well, non-Christian is easy. it's a sacrament of the Church, so you should commonly have a similar starting point with the God Who sanctifies the sacrament. we believe Christ is present during the marital union, so you can't have one spouse affirming that and one rejecting Him. at least another Christian affirms it is Christ at work between husband and wife.
I see. Thank you again, Father.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Eastern Orthodoxy is a tiny religion in North America. I plan on moving to Montana, which is rural enough already.

why would you say then that you probably won't be getting married? cuz there are loads of ways you can connect.

Upvote 0

nutroll

Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟279,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
At 32 years old, I was single, living in Pennsylvania, had never even been on a date before, and was convinced that all that was left for me was monasticism. Within 10 months, I met my wife through online correspondence, moved to Idaho and got married. Now at 41 I am very happily married and have two sons and a daughter. I never would have thought any of this possible, and laughed in the face of anyone that would suggest otherwise.

Orthodoxy in this country is small, especially in rural areas. It can be frustratingly insular. But with God, all things are possible. Not some things, not even most things, but all things. In my experience, it was not easy to completely change my life in such a short period of time, but God removed obstacles from my way, He provided financially for such a change, and He used people in my life to support me through such upheaval. God is good, don't despair over what you think will happen.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Shoot, I quit looking when I was in Virginia, but met my fiancee in El Salvador while on deployment. Her family is Evangelical, but she's open to Orthodoxy since it is "my" Church. Thankfully, resources in Spanish are available, rare, but available.

Upvote 0