Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No it isn't. There are certain parts of the hair that Jews are supposed to grow long, but unless you're a Jewish believer that doesn't apply to you. According to some interpretations of 1 Corinthians 11:5,6, and 15 women are always supposed to have long hair, but Scripture doesn't really define how long "long enough" would be. There's also the cultural context of those verses to consider, where if women didn't have their heads properly "covered" they would appear to be prostitutes and it just wouldn't be acceptable for a Christian woman to come to church dressed as a prostitute.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
God had a special relationship with the Jewish people, and he gave them a special set of laws. Now we have Jesus who superseded that arrangement.

Hair length is not an issue. It often changes - Jesus had hair loger than most Western men have today for example.

john
NZ

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Let's look at the command: "Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard." - Leviticus 19:27

Note which book it's in, Leviticus. Old Testament. Furthermore, this is one of the commands that was to separate the Jews from the Gentiles. Now, let's fast-forward to the New Testament, Acts 15. Gentiles were beginning to believe in Jesus, and there was a controversy over whether they needed to be circumcised and obligated to follow the entire Mosaic Law in order to be saved. I encourage you to read that whole chapter, but here's the conclusion:

"It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell." - Acts 15:28-29

This is why Christians today eat pork and shellfish, wear cotton-polyester blends, and don't grow out the hair on the sides of their heads. If we were bound to that, most Christian guys would look like this:

rsa2p.jpg

Upvote 0

jive4005

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2007
Rhode Island
Visit site
✟10,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, not a sin... UNLESS you have the wrong motives for doing it (like ticking off your parents or trying to use your looks and appearence to get acceptence from others). THEN it's probably sinful... it's certainly wrong!

The good thing is... hair grows back! Tatoos and piercings on the other hand... (Excuse me for thinking like a loving parent!).:preach:

His,
Rev J

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

R3quiem

Senior Veteran
Jun 25, 2007
In your head.
✟14,623.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I don't think hair length is much of an issue to God.

However, as an interesting note, I doubt Jesus had long hair.

1 Corinthians 11:14
Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering

Why would that be in the Bible if Jesus had long hair? There aren't really references in the Bible to what Jesus looked like when he was in human form.

Upvote 0

R3quiem

Senior Veteran
Jun 25, 2007
In your head.
✟14,623.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
so i guess its just good for a girl to have long hair, but its not a sin to cut it short.
Probably, yeah.

I think it just had to do with their culture then- women had long hair and men had short hair, that's just how it was. For the most part, it's still true today, so it's probably just a suggestion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't think hair length is much of an issue to God.

However, as an interesting note, I doubt Jesus had long hair.

1 Corinthians 11:14
Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering

Why would that be in the Bible if Jesus had long hair? There aren't really references in the Bible to what Jesus looked like when he was in human form.

Shoulder length hair was common in NT times. Look at any popular painting of Jesus. The artists knew that.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

unpardoned1

Aug 31, 2006
South Florida
✟8,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No it isn't. There are certain parts of the hair that Jews are supposed to grow long, but unless you're a Jewish believer that doesn't apply to you. According to some interpretations of 1 Corinthians 11:5,6, and 15 women are always supposed to have long hair, but Scripture doesn't really define how long "long enough" would be. There's also the cultural context of those verses to consider, where if women didn't have their heads properly "covered" they would appear to be prostitutes and it just wouldn't be acceptable for a Christian woman to come to church dressed as a prostitute.
Yes, it probably was somthing that was for that time only and applied, for certain reasons, for the people that lived then.
Anyway, shoulder length hair is actually still considered long these days.
I'm growing mine to my waist since I wanted to do that at least once. Its a few inches away now.

Upvote 0

unpardoned1

Aug 31, 2006
South Florida
✟8,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I cut mine when I was pregnant w/ my third baby. I was about 2 months along and I think the hormonal changes kicked in or somthing, but I cut it off and I mean short!
flicked-out.jpg
This was actaully is the exact cut. I posted it in the hairstyle forum. This is pretty short for me. It was an alright hairstyle and very cute, but maybe a little to "grown up" for my liking. I think I'll stick w/ my long hair. ;)

Upvote 0