California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?"

You believe this forbids you to lay down your life for a sinner?

Upvote 0

MasterYourLife

Jun 26, 2019
LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
"4You adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore, whoever chooses to be a friend of the world renders himself an enemy of God."

"2889 kósmos (literally, "something ordered") – properly, an "ordered system" (like the universe, creation); the world."
Strong's Greek: 2889. κόσμος (kosmos) -- order, the world

*I don't think an individual qualifies as the world.
What then, is God talking about the physical earth? Rocks, tree's, grass, water?

5. the inhabitants of the world: θέατρον ἐγενήθημεν τῷκόσμῳ καί ἀγγέλοις καί ἀνθρώποις, 1 Corinthians 4:9(Winers Grammar, 127 (121)); particularly the inhabitants of the earth, men, the human race

Read the verse in context with the proper definition. Not a vague sentence you cherry picked.

Here are other in-context references of the word, "world".
John 3:17 N-NMS
GRK: σωθῇ ὁ κόσμος δι' αὐτοῦ
NAS: the world, but that the world might be saved

John 1:29 N-GMS
GRK: ἁμαρτίαν τοῦ κόσμου
NAS: who takes away the sin of the world!

• Agree
Reactions: sdowney717
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Read the verse in context with the proper definition. Not a vague sentence you cherry picked.

That was the verse you presented...and that is the actual word used in that verse...

Upvote 0

MasterYourLife

Jun 26, 2019
LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
You believe this forbids you to lay down your life for a sinner?
I do what the Bible says. It says not to be friends with unbelievers.
It says to lay your life down for a friend. Unbelievers aren't my friends, therefore I don't have to lay my life down for an unbeliever.
Wouldn't it make more sense to say, "lay your life down for everyone". Why did the author specifically choose the word, "friend?". Clearly there are boundaries to who you lay your life down for.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I do what the Bible says. It says not to be friends with unbelievers.
It says to lay your life down for a friend. Unbelievers aren't my friends, therefore I don't have to lay my life down for an unbeliever.

So, for you, it is a sin to befriend a gay person?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’ve known many gay, bisexual and bicurious people over the years. I would not have survived my spiritual attack without the care and assistance of friends. Every one of them came from one of these categories. They were the lone ones who stood with me daily. Suffering alongside.

This isn’t a question of consideration for me. Lest I forget their grace. I don’t feel threatened by friendship with anyone from those groups. I’m no more at risk than I am in the company of believers with a litany of sins that I encounter.

Love and grace are my banner. That resolves most questions like this and then some.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
A sin or not, God knows. But I do what God says, which is to not be friends with unbelievers.

What about the story of the Good Samaritan...or the command to love your neighbor...you think these are something different than being a friend to an unbeliever...or, to stay on topic, someone who is afflicted with homosexuality?

Upvote 0

MasterYourLife

Jun 26, 2019
LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
What about the story of the Good Samaritan...or the command to love your neighbor...you think these are something different than being a friend to an unbeliever...or, to stay on topic, someone who is afflicted with homosexuality?
Yes, there's a difference between loving someone and being friends with them.
I can help an unbeliever in need, but that doesn't make us friends.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, there's a difference between loving someone and being friends with them.
I can help an unbeliever in need, but that doesn't make us friends.

What if helping them entails laying down your life for them?

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not being friends with the world, doesn't equal hating them.
Again, that was not the intent of that scripture that you chose.

You can twist scripture to match pretty much any view point.... even to justify treating others in judgement rather than mercy, while Jesus Himself, the one that was right to cast the first stone, preffered to show mercy over condemnation and judgement.

IF He that was fit to throw the first stone, chose mercy, how much more should we, unfit to throw stones be merciful?

However as implied by my first post, "Friend of the world" is to find oneself in agreement with the world....not in agreement with God.

It is to choose the world above God. Not that you find not value or goodness in this world.

God Himself looked at the world and said it was "Good". Sin caused it to be tainted, but it is STILL His creation, just as MAN is still His creation though tainted by sin.

If you still wish to condemn rather than love and be merciful to those that, as yourself are not perfect, that is between you and God. You will be measured by the standard in which you measure others.

• Winner
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MasterYourLife

Jun 26, 2019
LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Again, that was not the intent of that scripture that you chose.

You can twist scripture to match pretty much any view point.... even to justify treating others in judgement rather than mercy, while Jesus Himself, the one that was right to cast the first stone, preffered to show mercy over condemnation and judgement.

IF He that was fit to throw the first stone, chose mercy, how much more should we, unfit to throw stones be merciful?

However as implied by my first post, "Friend of the world" is to find oneself in agreement with the world....not in agreement with God.

It is to choose the world above God. Not that you find not value or goodness in this world.

God Himself looked at the world and said it was "Good". Sin caused it to be tainted, but it is STILL His creation, just as MAN is still His creation though tainted by sin.

If you still wish to condemn rather than love and be merciful to those that, as yourself are not perfect, that is between you and God. You will be measured by the standard in which you measure others.
Read the verse in context. World is referring to the inhabitants.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read the verse in context. World is referring to the inhabitants.
Did I say it had nothing to do with the inhabitants?

I covered both the literal "world" AND its inhabitants in my last post. You dont agree or hold conversations with the literal world itself, so one can only find itself in agreement with, other inhabitants. (The world)

Again, we are called to be more like Christ.... NOT to be led to be more condeming and judgemental as that of the likeness of a Pharisee.

• Friendly
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0