Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture teaches not to yolk yourself to unbelievers. "for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness."
In general this verse is applied to marriage. However, it can be applied to friendship.
This doesn't mean you should avoid unbelievers at all costs. We have to be in this world, but not a part of it.

Christians don't "attack" gay people. We speak out against it, because gay people are pushing their sin on our children, as thought it wasn't sin. They teach evil for good, and good for evil.
We're against homosexuality no more or less than any other sin. Because all sin is sin.

Also, Jesus wasn't friends with sinners. He didn't "hang out" with them. Usually they came to him and he would teach them righteousness.

He didn't go out and do the things that they did.
Jesus died for His friends, all of whom were sinners at the time. I wonder who that includes ... ???

Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
one thing that bothers me is how many Christians attacks people for being gay. You can say something is a sin but to make someone feel less than loved is not good way. Trying to make them less than feeling loved by God is wrong. I try to go with the path Jesus takes and befriend others. Not attack
Sin is always hypocritical, hence fulfilling not loving others as you would want to be loved. Scripture says that long ago mankind became vain and unthankful to God for His wisdom, which is one of His attributes bequeathed to us through His Word as our Creator. In thinking we were wise of our own selves, we lowered God to the level of the creature and subsequently deny that He is the Eternal Power which keeps us Holy and upholds all things.

For this reason God gave mankind over to the lust of the flesh to become dishonorable. These lusts include such things as covetousness, envy, adultery, and abnormal affections such as homosexuality. Scripture says that we all have been sinners and need a covering. I believe that it would be hypocritical to single out one sin to despise which I don't happen to be afflicted with.

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm guessing and speculating here, but for what it's worth, here's what comes to mind. Is the situation significantly any different than finding out your good friend is having an affair? Sin is sin, unless you too agree that having an affair is not sin. (At that point, my point is pointless.) Point being, you love your friend, you don't approve of or participate in the part that includes the affair. And while the affair is technically none of your business, the fact that you have a caring relationship with your friend can sometimes give you the opportunity to encourage a manner of living that is more effective. When my friend had that kind of struggle, I struggled with where to draw the lines. At this point, I think I would most likely draw the line on any conversation about the affair and I would use any bringing up of it to point out that it wasn't an approved act but was one that I cared enough about to point out as not OK with me, all the while offering to help if the person wanted getting-out kind of help. There might be a better way, so I'm reading and considering all the suggestions. There is a clear thread here of loving the person, never getting caught up with approving and loving the world's ways. I'm in total agreement with that line of reasoning. We never help anyone by jumping in the quicksand with them. Separation from sin is a good thing and Jesus showed us how that works.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is the situation significantly any different than finding out your good friend is having an affair?

A big difference would be whether the person believes they are doing anything wrong, and thus whether they keep it a secret. The person having an affair knows he is doing something wrong and keeps the affair secret. The person who chooses a gay lifestyle does not believe he is doing anything wrong and, in many cases, does not keep it secret.

Yet as you say, your approach in helping each of them would be similar. Each way we attempt to help others overcome sin will have things in common.

Reactions: Greengardener
Upvote 0

MasterYourLife

Jun 26, 2019
LONDON
✟13,032.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I wouldn’t immediately jump to a conclusion that a homosexual is a non believer. Now if this person doesn’t have conviction over their homosexuality, I would seriously question the integrity of their faith. I am not in support of homosexuality or any type of sexual immorality. But I do realize people have struggles that we may not have experienced but have struggles of our own.

So my advice would be if this person is a believer and this is something they struggle with, I see a huge call for discipleship. A Christian friend would be really good for someone like this. But if they are not a believer, treat them as such and share the truth.
No true believer identifies as a homosexual.
In general those who identify with their sin, are the same who are proud of their sin. A
Jesus died for His friends, all of whom were sinners at the time. I wonder who that includes ... ???

Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
You throw the word "friends" around too loosely.

Upvote 0

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it a sin to befriend a gay person.
No - Jesus was a friend to tax collectors and sinners. He did not sin by doing so. He was without sin.

What is a sin is approving of their sin. Jesus never did that. If He had - that would be a sin for Him.

In so far as you are able to be a friend to a sinner (be he a crooked tax collector or a person practicing homosexuality) while making it clear that you do not approve of his or her sin - be a friend.

However - when the public display of your friendship with the sinner begins to make other Christians stumble - it probably will become sin for you and you will need to revisit you public position.

Also - I have found that caring about a sinner requires calling him or her to repentance and refraining from their sin. My experience has been that they will likely end the friendship themselves if you do that as often and openly as you should.

That's true regarding friends and family members who are involved with a cult or some such as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
one thing that bothers me is how many Christians attacks people for being gay. You can say something is a sin but to make someone feel less than loved is not good way. Trying to make them less than feeling loved by God is wrong. I try to go with the path Jesus takes and befriend others. Not attack

My goodness. Jesus was very specific that those who shun or scorn people for no reason other than they belong to the 'wrong' group are not being good neighbors. Cultures and customs do change over time and what was once considered immoral is no longer the case. Consider the transition of clothing from women being fully covered up from head to toe in order to be 'decent' to what the standards are now. And much what would be considered immoral back then is considered okay by most of our current culture and much of what was moral back then is considered immoral or unnecessary by most of our current culture now.

My rule of thumb is: Does it harm me and/or any others, now or in the future? Then it is sin. If it does not, then it is okay with God.

Being kind, being friends with, working with a gay person does not harm me in any way nor does it harm anybody else. So I have to believe it is okay with God.

Upvote 0

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We should lay our lives down for our friends. I wonder what this would look like for gay friends? Maybe share with them some of your own thoughts or struggles and, yes, show them how homosexuality is not conducive to life as created to be.
As Christians we don't condone sin. What people misunderstand is when Jesus was sitting with sinners it , he had been preaching to them to repent because the kingdom of God was at hand etc...
He wasn't just hanging out with those that were looked upon as criminals and immoral for the fun of it, and being their friends-- He was sharing the Gospel --the good news that they could be forgiven by GOD and reconciled to GOD through believing in HIM. He was quoting scriptures , using parables & through His teaching & they became believers and followers of Christ.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,100.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is it a sin to befriend a gay person? -- It would be a sin not to love them as a neighbor.

It's a sin to refuse to love our neighbors as ourselves.

When we love another sinner, someone like ourselves in that they have their own sins, for which they need Christ, just as we do, we are not endorsing their sins, whatever those might be, but instead obeying God's commandment.

It's not my job to condemn anyone for their sins, but instead to tell them the Good News of Christ, in time. Befriending them can be a very good first step to telling them the Good News.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But Jesus died for every single soul. Including those.

Also Jesus is God. We are the children. Siblings are not meant to take the parent's role over each others.
Yes, Jesus died for everyone to be saved, but they must Repent and believe that Jesus is the Son of God, that He was crucified to pay the debt for their sins, and that He rose again from the dead and ascended into heaven and that Jesus is returning & will destroy Satan's kingdom & HIS heavenly kingdom shall have no end. Just believing Jesus existed on this planet is not believing or having faith in HIM.
According to scripture only those who are saved through Christ Jesus are children of God, those who reject Him are called the children of rebellion. The brothers and sisters are in Christ. If this were not so why do you think JESUS took an earthly incarnation? it was to bring the Gospel of Salvation. Jesus said , narrow is the gate and few find it. Matt 7:14

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
looked upon as criminals and immoral

This is key to what @SayaOtonashi is picking up from others, especially Christians. Really,there are no gay people in Messiah, just as there are no liars, murderers, adulterers , thieves, etc... People "attack" what they see within their own carnal selves. It is right to hate those things, because they lead to death, but we must be careful of viewing the person themselves as being those things.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul warned against doing homosexuality - 1 Corinthians 6. There are prohibitions against homosexuality in the Torah - Leviticus 18:22. Jesus ate with tax collectors and sinners, but he did not do as they did.

Some homosexuals will not have anything to do with Christians as many Christians oppose homosexuality. The Episcopalian Church ordained a homosexual, that was their choice. Most denominations will not promote homosexuality.

Jesus taught you should bless and not curse. He did not ask for attacks on sinners.

Upvote 0

PoppyB

Apr 5, 2019
Bolton
✟30,915.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Me too, I have had quite a few gay friends, Christian and non-believers. I enjoyed their company but did not try to change them or preach to them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pedra

Mar 6, 2015
✟36,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is key to what @SayaOtonashi is picking up from others, especially Christians. Really,there are no gay people in Messiah, just as there are no liars, murderers, adulterers , thieves, etc... People "attack" what they see within their own carnal selves. It is right to hate those things, because they lead to death, but we must be careful of viewing the person themselves as being those things.
Those who are Believers who study the scriptures know that we are all sinners and the only thing that separates us is those who have had their sins washed away by the blood of Jesus.
I see a lot of Christians being attacked these days for standing by Christian beliefs.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Proverbs 18:24
A man with many friends comes to ruin. There's a reason for that. While it is true that Jesus dined with sinners and was in one sense friendly with them, he still had only a relatively small group that he relied upon as close confidants and allies.

Marriage is probably the closest or at least one of the closest friendships available. While we are commanded to love our neighbor, even an unrepentant sinner, it would be foolish to marry someone who is an enemy of Christ. A friend is an ally, which is someone who works with us toward a common goal. Someone who lives at enmity with God is, hopefully, not striving for the same thing that we are (or else we are not the Christians we think we are). Hence, any non-Christian is not that kind of a friend. It's not just a question of homosexuality, but includes thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers and swindlers, all of whom will not inherit the kingdom of God (1 Corinthians 6:10)

Granted, there are acquaintances and people with whom we are friendly. There are casual friends. There are also family members, with whom we may not have a common faith. People that we regard as not fellow members of the faith, people that are not our allies and close confidants as fellow members in the family of God, these are people that we will associate with at an appropriate level. We cannot dissociate with them entirely, even though they be immoral, greedy, swindlers or idolaters, or else we would have to leave the world (1 Corinthians 5:10).

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
When I made my public confession of faith, I made a promise to renounce the deceit and corruption of evil and to repent of the sins that separate me from God.

I also promised to turn from the sins that separate me from my neighbour.

Therefore, when I stand before the judgement seat of God, I would like to be known as someone who has extended the hand of friendship to my neighbour and who has welcomed Christ in the stranger's guise.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 5:43-46 KJV
Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

• Winner
Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0