Bethesda
✟21,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I find that the more I talk, the less I have control over the voices and the more ammo I give difficult people to rope me into drama which they know I will lose.

Is it okay to only talk if I have to i.e. ordering something, someone talks to me?

Will people force me to chat/open up?

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's a sin to speak in a way that you lose self-control. With that said, there are certain times when it is a sin to be quiet also (see Bible verses below). Our reference point that governs us needs to be vindicating God's Truth and loving our neighbor acceptably according to Truth rather than our own preference and gratification.

James 1:26-27 "If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

Proverbs 31:8-9 "Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction. Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy." (yes, it is spoken to a king but we all have jurisdiction somewhere and ability to defend the poor and needy by speaking up somehow)

Mark 8:36-38 "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels."

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I find that the more I talk, the less I have control over the voices and the more ammo I give difficult people to rope me into drama which they know I will lose.

Is it okay to only talk if I have to i.e. ordering something, someone talks to me?
My grandfather always used to tell me that it's better to be thought foolish than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

My retort for that was that it's better to be thought anti-social than to be keep your mouth shut and remove all doubt.

In the end, nothing will be grained from what sounds like workplace drama. So it may be worth it to complain to your supe or to HR or whoever and let the chips fall where they may/

Nobody can force you to do anything.

Upvote 0

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Ecclesiastes 5:2 King James Version (KJV)
2 Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟733,159.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I guess there is no need to talk, just for the sake of talking. If you feel you are putting your foot in your mouth when you talk, sure talk less.

There is an interesting verse in the bible which is a promise to us. Jesus said "the meek shall inherit the earth". Meekness is quietness, or shyness. God is not telling us to be meek, rather that as we draw near to God, he will turn our meekness into strength to inherit the earth.

It is not a sin to be quiet, but in reality we mostly like to be sociable. Don't retreat into yourself, rather spend time in prayer, asking God to help you inherit all the things you feel at this time that you can not achieve.

Prayer is the key to victory in every are of your life. Spend more time in prayer, even when it seems hard.

Upvote 0