California
✟41,185.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As long as the parents are ok with them saying mom and dad and even with them saying they have the permission to say that they got their name from their mom and dad instead of saying that they were named after their mother and father? Does the bible talk about various punishments that are to be given if one says mom and dad instead of mother and father?

Reactions: Simon/Rock

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is it that you perceive as potentially offensive about using the words Mom and Dad?
In the NT Christians who are born again by God's holy spirit are described as calling God "abba" or "daddy" or "papa" instead of the formal father.

Romans 8:15
New International Version
The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

So if God himself accepts a term of endearment other that the formal "father" then I see no scripturally-based reason why earthly human parents should deem it inappropriate or disrespectful.

Strong's Greek: 5. Ἀββᾶ (Abba) -- Abba, father

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
As long as the parents are ok with them saying mom and dad and even with them saying they have the permission to say that they got their name from their mom and dad instead of saying that they were named after their mother and father? Does the bible talk about various punishments that are to be given if one says mom and dad instead of mother and father?

The answer to this question would depend on the culture you are in.

We are to honor or mother and father, so if it is culturally unacceptable, or dishonoring, to use the terms, "mom" or "dad", the it could be an issue, because even if they are OK with it, the appearance it gives to your neighbors is important ant and mustn't be ignored.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

No and no

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let us not be legal and "...strain at a gnat" (Matt. 23:24) over every thought, as God tells us. Sin is forgiven by confessing all sin (and perceived sin) to God in the Name of the Lord Jesus, God's beloved Son. The REAL issue of concern is being "born again" (John 3), and if one is and living by faith in the Lord Jesus with devotion to Him, one can take every concern to Him and be at peace. If one thinks they have sin, then humbly confess it to the Lord, and go forth in His Name always! Look up and not down!

Upvote 0

jeanetteflint

Jul 30, 2013
✟16,439.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
What is it that you perceive as potentially offensive about using the words Mom and Dad?
In the NT Christians who are born again by God's holy spirit are described as calling God "abba" or "daddy" or "papa" instead of the formal father.

So if God himself accepts a term of endearment other that the formal "father" then I see no scripturally-based reason why earthly human parents should deem it inappropriate or disrespectful.

Strong's Greek: 5. Ἀββᾶ (Abba) -- Abba, father
Yes, I too ask the question why you think God would find it objectionable?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I know it's been a while since anyone has posted here, but I found this as I was navigating through this section of the forums and it struck me as interesting. As far as addressing our parents as "mom and dad" and the slightest notion that it would be considered "sinful", well, that's a new one for me. I've just never heard of anything like that before. I suppose (as I've seen in other posts) that it largely depends on culture or background, or maybe personal preference. The only way I can see it remotely being a "sin" is to use the terms around those who we know would be offended to be addressed as such (and I can't imagine anyone really being "offended" by such a trivial issue, but I guess some are). The words "mom" and "dad" are not swear words, it's just a revision of the English language when it comes to addressing our parents. It's perfectly acceptable today, and just because something is from today doesn't mean it's always wrong. Doesn't mean it's always right, either, but... I think everyone should know what I am getting at.

Anyway, everyone is different.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The native tongue of Jesus was Aramaic and in that language "Abba" is the familiar form of "father" and the equivalent of "dad" or "daddy". Jesus even used Abba when addressing God. I too am surprised that "mom" or "dad" would even be a problem to anyone. However, I am frequently astonished at some of the questions asked and some of the opinions expressed here.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The native tongue of Jesus was Aramaic
Indeed. As an ad I received a few years ago read:

"To the Almighty, English is a second language."

I could see no reason for any particular English word being theologically objectionable, as long as the attitude was one of respect and honor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Simon/Rock

God is Truth. "Seek and ye(you) shall find."
Dec 28, 2019
Eureka
✟13,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don't see the harm in calling dad father, or mom, mother.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

barefeetonholyground

CF member for 15 years!
Oct 26, 2003
Kitsap County, Washington
✟34,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think the Bible really has anything to say in how you address your parents. It does call us to honor our parents and obey them in the Lord.
That being said, you call your parents what they tell you to call them, unless of course the name they choose to be called in some way elevates them above the true Lord of the house, Jesus Christ.
My daughter calls me mommy and sometimes mom. When I started dating my husband she called him Corey but decided at four months in to start calling him Daddy (stating, "I don't want to wait for you to marry mommy for you to be my for real daddy, so I'm going to make you my daddy right now!"). I gave her a choice in the matter with her bio dad when he makes the rare phone call and she prefers to call him by his name right now. I gave her permission to do so.
In each circumstance she is being honoring to us and identifying her relationship with us. That's fine. She is not being disrespectful, or behaving contrary to Scripture.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Isaiah 8:4He said that because before the boy learns to say “Mama” and “Daddy,” God will take all the wealth and riches from Damascus and Samaria and give them to the king of Assyria.

Upvote 0

barefeetonholyground

CF member for 15 years!
Oct 26, 2003
Kitsap County, Washington
✟34,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Isaiah 8:4He said that because before the boy learns to say “Mama” and “Daddy,” God will take all the wealth and riches from Damascus and Samaria and give them to the king of Assyria.
I think you're missing the point. The OP was asking if there are punishments listed in the Bible for using one name for a parent over the other, not any related to the terms

Upvote 0