New Jersey
✟334,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This thread might be better suited for the Christianity and World Religion forum. I believe the CF moderators can move the thread, if you wish.

As I understand it, Islam at its best values compassion, mercy, justice, and peace. The 99 names of God include The Compassionate, The Merciful, and The Embodiment of Peace.

As with many other religions, Islam can be twisted into a weapon of violence. This has also happened in Christianity, in some of the darker years of our history. But this does not reflect the best ideals of Islam, and I have heard many Muslims say that they find it abhorrent that people commit violent acts in the name of Islam, that this violence does not represent their faith.

You list your own religion as Muslim. Have I understood Islam correctly on this issue?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Islam discribes the world as being in one of twe houes.
The Dars el Islam = the house of peace or
Dars el harb = the house of war.
The mission of islam is to make the world submit to islam, not it is make the world submit.

Look at the history of islam. It has always spread by conquest.
As football says muslims are peacefull, but islam isn't.

look up answeringislam for detailed discussions on what the quran and hadiths say.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to Christian Forums!

Just FYI, please check the Statement of Purpose for each forum before posting. This forum is specifically for suggesting new forums. I know it can be confusing at first :) You probably will get more responses in the Christianity and World Religions forum.

I also recommend introducing yourself in the Introductions Forum. It’s a great place to say hi and to get to know some fellow posters. Once again, welcome, and enjoy your time here in CF!

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat on
upload_2017-10-28_22-47-30.jpeg

This thread has been moved from
Suggest New Forums
To
Christianity and World Religion
For a better fit.
Carry on.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It seems that many of the problems in Islam were also problems in early Judaism. Jews managed to take the rough edges off their religion, so Muslims should be able to do the same hopefully? Another possibility is that Islam will wither into irrelevance as grassroots Muslims begin to doubt freely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I need your opinion.

I'm not sure one can ascribe "peacefulness" to something abstract such as ideology, theology, etc; if one asked "Are Muslims peaceful?" that would probably make more sense--and the answer to that is that the majority of Muslims are simply trying to go about their lives peacefully as much as anyone else. Some Muslims obviously aren't peaceful, but they are a rather obvious minority.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....Some Muslims obviously aren't peaceful, but they are a rather obvious minority.
I'm concerned about apparently reliable polls indicating that a lot of Muslims would like to use the force of law against apostates, "blasphemers", and so on.

I'm currently led to believe that most Muslims lead peaceful lives personally, but would ulitmately like the state to do their 'dirty work'.

• Agree
Reactions: Sarcoline
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm concerned about apparently reliable polls indicating that a lot of Muslims would like to use the force of law against apostates, "blasphemers", and so on.

I'm currently led to believe that most Muslims lead peaceful lives personally, but would ulitmately like the state to do their 'dirty work'.
Can you direct me to the polls you have in mind, with a reference to the journal or newspaper that published them? I want to check the exact wording of the questions and the makeup of the populations that were surveyed. Small things like that can make a difference in the results.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟730,029.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure one can ascribe "peacefulness" to something abstract such as ideology, theology, etc; if one asked "Are Muslims peaceful?" that would probably make more sense--and the answer to that is that the majority of Muslims are simply trying to go about their lives peacefully as much as anyone else. Some Muslims obviously aren't peaceful, but they are a rather obvious minority.
Thank You VisCrucis!

I know quite a few Muslims. And everyone of them with out exception are peaceful, family centered people. And yes, though I personally don't know of any, it's obvious the some Muslims are not peaceful. But I can say the same for Christians, Buddhist, American Indians, Hindu's or just about any other spiritual trajectory.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Can you direct me to the polls you have in mind, with a reference to the journal or newspaper that published them? I want to check the exact wording of the questions and the makeup of the populations that were surveyed. Small things like that can make a difference in the results.
Sure, here's a couple that include findings I find quite disturbing.

Chapter 1: Beliefs About Sharia
(Pew Research Center)

Half of all British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal, poll finds
(Guardian UK)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
As a Baha'i I've had the pleasure of meeting many Iranian Baha'is and in the broader spectrum of my life in Southern California I've met many Muslims. I've also visited Mosques from Akka, Israel to Port of Spain Trinidad as well as Mosques in Los Angeles and Riverside. Muslims have also been active in our local Inter-Faith Council. I've never encountered any situation where Muslims were not courteous and friendly even when they knew I was a Baha'i. My Baha'i friends from Iran have reported some sad situations where the government imposed sanctions of them and imprisoned some as well.

As to the history of Islam I believe the original concept of Jihad was defensive... rather than offensive.. and in my view terrorism has no place in their religion. Yes there are those who have attempted to exploit the religion and twist it's meaning for their own ends but generally I've seen Muslims contributing to society in medicine and other ways where I live.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I need your opinion.

Meaning of the word Islam.
Islam is an Arabic word that means "submission or submit" (to Allah). It has a relationship to another Arabic word, such as Salaam, meaning "peace". The Arabic word "Muslim" is related to the word Islam and means a "vassal" of Allah, and is whom has surrendered and submitted (to Allah).

Muslims see homage to Allah as a sign of distinction; paying homage means serving the will of Allah above and beyond one's own goals. The Arabic word "Islam" simply means "submission", and is derived from the word meaning "peace."

In a religious context it simply means submit to the will of Allah. And so Islam means “submission” not “peace". It is frequently said that the word Islam means “peace.” It does not. Islam is the Arabic word for "submission." The Arabic word for “peace” is transliterated as salam or salaam.

In Arabic, as in English, these are distinctly different words.
It is their religion to destroy other nations to establish Islam.

“I charge you with five of what Allah has charged me with: to assemble, to listen, to obey, to immigrate and to wage Jihad for the sake of Allah”
Quote from Hadith
(The five responsibilities or “charges” for those who submit to Islam)

Sam Solomon, a Christian convert from Islam and an expert on Islam tells us that Mohammad himself proclaimed that migration is jihad.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I need your opinion.
Islamic Deception

Al-Takeyya. Or: Al-Taqiyya.

In Islam, lying or omissions for the 'greater good,' according to a strict or radical Islamic philosophy is not only acceptable, but it is a holy and blessed work. It is called "Al-Takeyya. Or. Al-Taqiyya. It is a strategy outlined in the Hadiths and supported by various interpretations of some of the Suras in the Koran.
Al-Takeyya is a policy whereby a Muslim may lie, deceive or omit critical truths if it promotes the spreading of Islam, and the conquest of the Non-Muslim world.

According to William P. Welty, Ph.D., "Al-Takeyya / Taqiyya is:
"The Islamic principle of lying for the sake of Allah. Falsehoods told to prevent denigration of Islam, to protect oneself, or to promote the cause of Islam are sanctioned by the Qur'an, including lying under penalty of perjury in testimony before the United States Congress, lying or making distorted statements to the media such as claiming that Islam is a religion of peace and deceiving fellow Muslims when the one lying has deemed them to be apostates."

Definition from an Islamic encyclopedia:
"The word "Al-Taqiyya" literally means: "Concealing or disguising one's beliefs, convictions, ideas, feelings, opinions, and / or strategies..."

In radical Islam, any Jew living in Israel is not considered innocent nor a civilian. Nor were the people living and working in America on 9-11. Islamists consider the "Great Satan -- America," and the "Little Satan -- Israel," to be enemy combatants. And this includes every man, woman or child, even babies. This includes any and all who are not Islamists and who oppose being forced to kneel down and pay homage to Allah. In particular, Christians whom they call "Crusaders", and also the Jews.

Muslims see America as naive, and its people ripe for deceit and murder in the name of Allah.
A Muslim thinks from the first moment that he lies that he is honouring Allah, and putting one over on the infidel, which he is directed to do.

"and [they] deceived and Allah deceived and Allah is the best of deceivers" Sura 3:54

So then, lies and deception is a part of the Muslim religion! That would mean that they are beyond reason, and beyond redemption; totally lacking in any redeeming qualities, making themselves of a very low moral grade.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I need your opinion.

The notion of Islamic terrorism

Where do Muslims get the notion of terrorism and booty?

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "I have been sent with the shortest expressions bearing the widest meanings, and I have been made victorious with terror, and while I was sleeping, the keys of the treasures of the world were brought to me and put in my hand." Abu Huraira added: Allah's Apostle has left the world and now you, people, are bringing out those treasures. (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 220)

Abu Huraira reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: I have been given superiority over the other prophets in six respects: I have been given words which are concise but comprehensive in meaning; I have been helped by terror (in the hearts of enemies): spoils have been made lawful to me: the earth has been made for me clean and a place of worship; I have been sent to all mankind and the line of prophets is closed with me. (Sahih Muslim, Book 004, Number 1062, 1063, 1066, 1067)

The Qur'an declares:

Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be the Fire: And evil is the home of the wrong-doers! (3:151)

Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instill terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them." This because they contended against Allah and His Messenger: If any contend against Allah and His Messenger, Allah is strict in punishment. (8:12-13)

Let not the unbelievers think that they can get the better (of the godly): they will never frustrate (them). Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know. Whatever ye shall spend in the cause of Allah, shall be repaid unto you, and ye shall not be treated unjustly. (8:59-60)

And Allah turned back the Unbelievers for (all) their fury: no advantage did they gain; and enough is Allah for the believers in their fight. And Allah is full of Strength, able to enforce His Will. And those of the People of the Book who aided them - Allah did take them down from their strongholds and cast terror into their hearts. (So that) some ye slew, and some ye made prisoners. And He made you heirs of their lands, their houses, and their goods, and of a land which ye had not frequented (before). And Allah has power over all things. (33:25-27)

It is He Who got out the Unbelievers among the People of the Book from their homes at the first gathering (of the forces). Little did ye think that they would get out: And they thought that their fortresses would defend them from Allah! But the (Wrath of) Allah came to them from quarters from which they little expected (it), and cast terror into their hearts, so that they destroyed their dwellings by their own hands and the hands of the Believers, take warning, then, O ye with eyes (to see)! (59:2)

Upvote 0