Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am familiar with both Islam and traditional Christianity, and I see very little moral difference between them. I personally follow the Old Testament and I am not Muslim or Christian, so I think I am unbiased. If you see a significant difference, please tell me what it is.

I have talked to people at the mosque that I go to about the idea of an alliance of Muslims and Orthodox Christians against evil modern culture, and I haven't heard any complaints from Muslims about the morals of Orthodox Christians. So from the Muslim side, such an alliance is possible.
Yes Islam is moral. It's verrrry moral. Waaaay too moral. Moral the way an authoritarian, totalitarian government is moral.

Christianity is concerned with a bigger issue - the cosmic battle of good vs. evil, which takes place primarily within you. What you seem to be looking for is a political movement (like Islam), and not spirituality. So no, I don't think we can offer you an alliance before you're ready to look within yourself before condemning the world, modern or otherwise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟860,379.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In a great many respects Islam today is much like Christianity was 5 or 6 centuries ago --- insular, xenophobic, intolerant, violent, homophobic, misogynist, condemning. I just looked back on that sentence --- things have not changed all that much.
Jack, you have many forums where you can spew this stuff. Please don't bring it in here. The majority of people in TAW are much more knowledgeable than you, so you're wasting your time anyway.

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing in what I said was "lawless, hedonistic, iniquitous, Antichristian, or socially degenerate."

By claiming that Christianity was “misogynistic, homophobic, intolerant, xenophobic, and violent,” your ideas of what constitutes morality is literally - I mean Literal in terms of what the words mean - Lawless. You have no structure for what your morality is based on, it’s just what you “feel” like morality is based on, or you reject morality as an objective concept. It’s Antichristian because it’s a morality that contradicts what has been clearly defined by Saint Paul. It’s hedonistic because you don’t see the moral and physical asceticism that Orthodox Christianity provides as beneficial. And it’s socially degenerate because you obviously believe that some of the most fundamental social structures - the family, masculinity and feminity, gender, sexuality, the Church, and the value of the human life over suffering - is something that needs to be “deconstructed” through your own fantastical musings, which you are trying to pitifully attempt by your name calling and virtue signaling.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
By claiming that Christianity was “misogynistic, homophobic, intolerant, xenophobic, and violent,” your ideas of what constitutes morality is literally - I mean Literal in terms of what the words mean - Lawless. You have no structure for what your morality is based on, it’s just what you “feel” like morality is based on, or you reject morality as an objective concept. It’s Antichristian because it’s a morality that contradicts what has been clearly defined by Saint Paul. It’s hedonistic because you don’t see the moral and physical asceticism that Orthodox Christianity provides as beneficial. And it’s socially degenerate because you obviously believe that some of the most fundamental social structures - the family, masculinity and feminity, gender, sexuality, the Church, and the value of the human life over suffering - is something that needs to be “deconstructed” through your own fantastical musings, which you are trying to pitifully attempt by your name calling and virtue signaling.

I regret your low opinion of me and that prompts me to clarify. I have been a Christian for over 75 years and for most of that time I have given myself permission to both research and think freely and deeply about my faith. When I said that Christianity was “misogynistic, homophobic, intolerant, xenophobic, and violent” I was referring to the public face of Christianity --- the face that most of the world has seen since Constantine. Because of our unholy alliances with secular governments of every sort, we have allowed ourselves to be seduced by their societal standards and we have indeed become “misogynistic, homophobic, intolerant, xenophobic, and violent” in the eyes of the world. That is not who we are at heart nor is it what we should go on tolerating in ourselves. I am a liberal/progressive Christian because that is the only way I know to maintain my spiritual and intellectual integrity.

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I regret your low opinion of me and that prompts me to clarify. I have been a Christian for over 75 years and for most of that time I have given myself permission to both research and think freely and deeply about my faith. When I said that Christianity was “misogynistic, homophobic, intolerant, xenophobic, and violent” I was referring to the public face of Christianity --- the face that most of the world has seen since Constantine. Because of our unholy alliances with secular governments of every sort, we have allowed ourselves to be seduced by their societal standards and we have indeed become “misogynistic, homophobic, intolerant, xenophobic, and violent” in the eyes of the world. That is not who we are at heart nor is it what we should go on tolerating in ourselves. I am a liberal/progressive Christian because that is the only way I know to maintain my spiritual and intellectual integrity.

I don’t know you nor do I have interest in holding opinions against you (I already have a pretty low opinion of myself).
However, what’s implied by your initial post is what I have a low opinion on.

The world’s god is the Devil, and I have no interest what the world thinks about Christianity.

Upvote 0