Is hunting ungodly when its purpose does not involve eating?

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Like killing just for pleasure it something like that.
Jesus said that the devil wants only to steal, kill, and destroy. But Satan has a purpose in this.

You apparently want to kill only for the thrill of killing. Eastern Christian theology considers this as cruelty to animals, a sin.

Many serial killers and other sociopaths began by killing animals for pleasure.

If you take pleasure in killing, you need to spend a lot of time on your knees in your prayer closet and less in the woods.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Some hunting is very important for local ecology. If deer population is not controlled, for example, it can be harmful for other creatures.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus fed fish to 100's, so animals are for food. Pretty simple.
Animals have no Spirit, so they are never alive to begin with
from God's perspective. Science has a different definition
for life, and secular man thinks big expressive eyes are dreamy
on animals.

Becasue we've removed so many natural predators from our
expansive lawns, deer need to be hunted to keep the population
down, and to save our lawns, again. And crops.

And men need time outside of the house.

8416130149_71e92b0562_b.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally I think so, but people can and do hunt for other people, like hunt/kill an animal and give the meat to someone else. I mean every time we go to the grocery store and buy meat, it's an animal someone else killed. Personally I do not agree with hunting/killing for the pleasure or for trophy or boasting sake and I think it is sinful, but ranks low on the harmful effects to other human beings, especially if done alone not influencing others. ToL makes a good point though about the harmful effects of overpopulation, and there is also the protecting of farms/crops other animals to be considered, neither of which I would consider sinful.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don’t believe an alien from outer-space will visit our planet until we no longer east meat.

just my opinion

:)-

But I've heard that aliens are absolutely delicious --------- properly prepared of course. I would include west meat in that.:rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Someone who believes that animals are not alive has never known an animal, or is simply trying to convince himself that killing for pleasure isn't sinful provided you aren't actually killing anything.

If animals aren't alive in God's eyes, then they wouldn't have been acceptable to use as blood sacrifices due to what it represented, and eating of blood wouldn't have been forbidden.

I am not against responsible hunting, but killing simply for the "fun" of it is irresponsible and is in opposition to good stewardship of God's creation.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Do you mean killing simply to see the animal die type pleasure like some nut job serial killer, or for the pleasure of the hunt?

Also, is anyone eating the meat or do they just take the head for a trophy and if they get it stuffed, is the taxidermist going to harvest the meat?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said that the devil wants only to steal, kill, and destroy. But Satan has a purpose in this.

You apparently want to kill only for the thrill of killing. Eastern Christian theology considers this as cruelty to animals, a sin.

Many serial killers and other sociopaths began by killing animals for pleasure.

If you take pleasure in killing, you need to spend a lot of time on your knees in your prayer closet and less in the woods.
Besides the fact that I have never hunted in my life, I am not thinking that for me. Fishing is a sport, so it is something that is done for pleasure. That's why I say if the only reason has to be eating.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you mean killing simply to see the animal die type pleasure like some nut job serial killer, or for the pleasure of the hunt?

Also, is anyone eating the meat or do they just take the head for a trophy and if they get it stuffed, is the taxidermist going to harvest the meat?
Yeah, I was thinking hunting and use their bodies as trophy.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jesus fed fish to 100's, so animals are for food. Pretty simple.
Animals have no Spirit, so they are never alive to begin with
from God's perspective. Science has a different definition
for life, and secular man thinks big expressive eyes are dreamy
on animals.

Becasue we've removed so many natural predators from our
expansive lawns, deer need to be hunted to keep the population
down, and to save our lawns, again. And crops.

And men need time outside of the house.

8416130149_71e92b0562_b.jpg
Animals have souls.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thing is, they harvest the meat when stuffing an animal. As is done when a head is taken.

If you are saying specifically that no one is going to get the meat (might even be hard to make that happen) and it's 100% for sport, then to me is would be sin, and as the Bible says, if it's sin to us, it's sin.

Reactions: Alice03
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Observe the following passages from the book of Jonah concerning animals.

Jonah 3:6-9
6 When the news reached the king of Nineveh, he rose from his throne, removed his robe, covered himself with sackcloth, and sat in ashes. 7 Then he had a proclamation made in Nineveh: “By the decree of the king and his nobles: No human being or animal, no herd or flock, shall taste anything. They shall not feed, nor shall they drink water. 8 Human beings and animals shall be covered with sackcloth, and they shall cry mightily to God. All shall turn from their evil ways and from the violence that is in their hands. 9 Who knows? God may relent and change his mind; he may turn from his fierce anger, so that we do not perish.”

Jonah 4:9-11
9 But God said to Jonah, “Is it right for you to be angry about the bush?” And he said, “Yes, angry enough to die.” 10 Then the Lord said, “You are concerned about the bush, for which you did not labor and which you did not grow; it came into being in a night and perished in a night. 11 And should I not be concerned about Nineveh, that great city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand persons who do not know their right hand from their left, and also many animals?”​

God shows concern for animals many places in scripture. Also note that human beings did not eat animals before the Fall, and it would also seem that animals did not eat animals in Eden or will in God's kingdom fully realized, i.e. lion laying down with the lamb.

While there is no support from scripture that animals will go to be with God in heaven when they die, there is also nothing scriptural that denies it. We simply don't know. According to John, Jesus did many things that were never written down, which indicates that there is a lot of holes in our knowledge concerning God. Probably more like one giant hole and perhaps one speck of actual knowledge. :)

Upvote 0

chuckpeterson

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
texas
✟134,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

Donald Trump Jr and Eric Trump are prolific big-game hunters and during the 2016 campaign, images re-emerged of the pair on a 2011 hunting trip posing with animals they had killed on safari, including an elephant, a buffalo and a leopard.

Jane | RESIST ❄ on Twitter

CoqwR-8UIAA4p0D.jpg

Upvote 0

Hishandmaiden

The Humble Servant
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2002
Singapore
✟35,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Killing animals for food is not wrong. Killing animals to get rid of pest problems is not wrong, either. Killing animals for the sake of pleasure, though, is a sin. Like all sins, it is forgivable through Christ Jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0