May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
"Homosexuality" as in the sexual orientation in which one is attracted predominantly towards those of the same sex, is not sinful. It is impossible to believe that it can be sinful, because a sin is an action agaist God and having an orientation is not an action.

Homosexual acts, in my opinion, are more serious than, say, lying about something trivial, or stealing something very small from someone, but certainly not as grave as murder, rape, serious theft, serious violence etc.

The reason that many right-wing Christians are so obsessed with homosexuality? Because, unlike drunkeness, gun crime, adultery, divorce and racist or sexist violence, homosexual acts are not something that most of them would have the oppurtunity, or desire, to engage in. And it is far easier to condemn people for sins that you would never be tempted to, and far easier to hate people you do not know and you are afraid of.

Upvote 0
Cathodox said:
When the day comes (and it will, inevitably) that homosexuality and gay-marriage become commonplace and accepted as completely normal and then Armageddon fails to happen I wonder how the religious will explain it away?

Shouldn't nations like Canada be swirling the drain by now for accepting homosexuality as perfectly normal? LOL.
"Canada, so close and yet so far from God" - Luke F.

Upvote 0

maniaco

Feb 10, 2006
ipswich, england
Visit site
✟8,484.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Cathodox said:
Unfortunately for people like Matthew Shephard not enough people don't listen to that particular part :(

ach...thats true :( and many others as well...but i guess we should be thankful its not an everyday thing anymore...

Upvote 0

maniaco

Feb 10, 2006
ipswich, england
Visit site
✟8,484.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Robbie_James_Francis said:
The reason that many right-wing Christians are so obsessed with homosexuality? Because, unlike drunkeness, gun crime, adultery, divorce and racist or sexist violence, homosexual acts are not something that most of them would have the oppurtunity, or desire, to engage in. And it is far easier to condemn people for sins that you would never be tempted to, and far easier to hate people you do not know and you are afraid of.

reps :) that makes a lot of sense...

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's no more a sin than any random sin that everyone on this board --including those that speak out against homosexuality-- partakes in. It's weird because everyone who speaks out about homosexuality are actually committing any number of equal sins at any moment, yet, they don't seem to be nearly as concerned about their own sins. I guess they'll have to answer to God about it. It should be an interesting discussion.

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps it also has something to do with the fact that it is supported by their fabourite punchbag...liberals. Much in the same way that students getting stoned and reading philosophy and making fantastic music is terrible, but coming home raging drunk and beating your wife is perfectly fine. :doh:

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nitz said:
Shouldn't nations like Canada be swirling the drain by now for accepting homosexuality as perfectly normal? LOL.

Hee hee.......or how about a state like Massachusetts...Pat Robertson had the nerve to say that the state would become a haven of sin, and an undesirable place to live.....Interesting...they have they are first in literacy, first in education, and have the second highest standard of living in the country.......Pat Robertson called that one :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

knightlight72

Soldier of Christ
Dec 11, 2003
Canada
✟1,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
thirstforknowledge said:
It's no more a sin than any random sin that everyone on this board --including those that speak out against homosexuality-- partakes in. It's weird because everyone who speaks out about homosexuality are actually committing any number of equal sins at any moment, yet, they don't seem to be nearly as concerned about their own sins. I guess they'll have to answer to God about it. It should be an interesting discussion.
It's not a sin to inform people something is spoken of as a sin in the Word of God. The opposite really. God wants people to know what He has said.

As to being a sinner, and telling someone of their sins, that too is not wrong to do when it is done with the right intention. Certainly one should not commit a sin and feel nothing wrong with himself commiting a sin, but feels it is wrong when another sins. I think that may be what you refer to, and that is what is being called a hypocrite. However, failing at perfection, and trying to point out that someone is also failing is not an issue. That is what we are called to do; help each other grow closer to God, even when we fail ourselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheGMan

Follower of Jesus of Nazareth
Aug 25, 2005
London
✟9,761.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Robbie_James_Francis said:

I'd add to this that it is something about which there is wider disagreement. Everyone agrees, I think, that murder is bad but if you believe that homosexual acts are bad then it's a position you have to argue and defend. This is always going to entrench people's views about it and tilt them towards a more extreme view.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2002
✟16,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
YellowSapphire said:
Short answer: nope. I don't get the obsession with it, or the other sex sins. Where's the movement to illegalize Cheezy Poofs because of gluttony?
I think the social conservatives are concerned firstly with regular poofs. The cheesy ones are next in line.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
TheGMan said:
Some people seem to be entirely incapable of being bored by the idea of boys doing certain things to other boys.

Well, assuming by 'boys' you meant 'men' ;) I'd have to say that statement would accurately reflect myself ... but not for the same reason as those who think homosexuality is a sin :p

Upvote 0