Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
For some reason, a lot of conservative christians sing the praises of God's forgiveness, yet when they speak of homosexuality, they talk about it like it's a sin-level 2....

According to christianity, everybody has spiritual battles they face througout their lives, yet still end up in heaven, but I've never heard any christians speak this way about homosexuality...the only things I ever hear are "abomination" and "going to hell"...why isn't homosexuality viewed simply as another spiritual battle...?

PS..For the record, I have nothing against homosexuality. I realize that it's completely genetic...
http://www.skeptictank.org/gaygene.htm (sorry, have to post a link when using the word 'genetic', otherwise they'll close my thread)

therefore, I don't feel that homosexuality is a 'sin' or 'spiritual battle', I was just simply using key words that might represent the christian perspective....
This is not a genetic vs. non-genetic debate......the main subject matter is in the first two paragraphs...please post accordingly.

B

b*unique

Mod hat on
Moving to apropriate forum E&M

3.5 Controversial Topics to Be Discussed Only in Certain Forums

A. You will make posts regarding the following subjects only in Ethics & Morality, Liberal Theology, Christian Philosophy, or any subforums in the Congregation or Recovery* categories:

drug use
gambling
polygamy
extramarital or premarital sexual activity
homosexuality
transsexuality
abortion

Mod hat off

Upvote 0

Brennin

Wielder of the Holy Cudgel of Faith
Aug 2, 2005
California
Visit site
✟10,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
miniverchivi said:
For some reason, a lot of conservative christians sing the praises of God's forgiveness, yet when they speak of homosexuality, they talk about it like it's a sin-level 2....

According to christianity, everybody has spiritual battles they face througout their lives, yet still end up in heaven, but I've never heard any christians speak this way about homosexuality...the only things I ever hear are "abomination" and "going to hell"...why isn't homosexuality viewed simply as another spiritual battle...?

PS..For the record, I have nothing against homosexuality. I realize that it's completely genetic...
http://www.skeptictank.org/gaygene.htm (sorry, have to post a link when using the word 'genetic', otherwise they'll close my thread)

therefore, I don't feel that homosexuality is a 'sin' or 'spiritual battle', I was just simply using key words that might represent the christian perspective....
This is not a genetic vs. non-genetic debate......the main subject matter is in the first two paragraphs...please post accordingly.

Depends on what other sins you have in mind.

Upvote 0
A

ALIgator

Well, I have to say that I agree with you, homosexuality is blown way out of proportion by some Christians. All sins are seen as equal by God and all sins (other than blasphemy of the Holy Spirit) can be forgiven by God. I know that some people who are very vocal on this subject seem to believe that anyone from the liars to the murderers can be forgiven but the homosexuals are doomed. This is not true at all and there's absolutely no biblical support for it. I think that people believe it's different from other sins because it's obviously a lifestyle rather than just a one time thing like other sins can be, but this logic is faulty considering that most other sins can and do become part of people's lifestlye.

Anyway, I feel like I'm just kind of rambling now, but I wanted to let you know that not all Christians feel this way.

Ali~

Upvote 0

knightlight72

Soldier of Christ
Dec 11, 2003
Canada
✟1,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Abbadon said:
The way conservatives talk about it, you'd think it was genocide they were talking about.
this surprises me. As a "conservative" myself, I'd have to say that this seems not accurate.

When it comes to sin, God cannot stand the presence of any sin. It's virtually a level playing field.

However, with some sins, some people feel that since we do sin, that we should somehow accept sin as ok. I think this may be what is considered wrong when it comes to sins such as homosexuality. It's not a worse sin, but there are those who say this sin is ok. And I think that is what a "conservative" may be having issues with.

Upvote 0

Alencon

Senior Veteran
Apr 20, 2004
Visit site
✟10,600.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
knightlight72 said:
When it comes to sin, God cannot stand the presence of any sin. It's virtually a level playing field.
Wow, the All Powerful, Almighty Creator of the Universe cannot stand the PRESENCE OF ANY SIN. Wow, I wonder why he created them then?

That God cannot stand the presense of actions deemed sins by his not too bright creations (that's us) has got to be the single most bizarre statement I've ever heard. If he "cannnot stand" anything then he's not all powerful is he?

knightlight72 said:
However, with some sins, some people feel that since we do sin, that we should somehow accept sin as ok. I think this may be what is considered wrong when it comes to sins such as homosexuality.
If homosexuality is genetic, and the fact that it seems to have been present in a small fraction of the population since the dawn of recorded history seems to point that way, then it's as much a sin as having brown eyes.

The concept of Divine Command is a fallacy. The only worthwhile moral code is one in which men agree to punish that which is harmful to society and reward that which is beneficial to society.

I see nothing harmful in a homosexual relationship between two consenting adults. Therefore I see no reason to punish it or call it evil or call it a sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
miniverchivi said:
Is homosexuality worse than other sins?

No more so than being my being a drunkard (a recovering drunkard actually) or a liar, a braggart, a fornicator, an adulterer, a hater, a murderer (in my heart), thief, slothfull, rebellious, hard hearted, coveter, proudful, stiff necked , disbeliever, or any of the many other sins that I currently am or was guilty of.

Upvote 0

Amplifyme

Apr 3, 2006
Middle Georgia
✟7,720.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
miniverchivi said:

The Reality of it is that we all look at certain sin and put in a level of how bad it is. And sometimes people do it without realizing it. But The truth is that IN Gods eyes , Sin is Sin. Lying about something small is just as bad as homosexuality in Gods eyes. Because Sin does not have a level. Wrong is wrong. All sin had to be paid for. Jesus paid for it all. The ground to the cross is level. All Sinnners are welcome at the foot of the cross.

Upvote 0

knightlight72

Soldier of Christ
Dec 11, 2003
Canada
✟1,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Alencon said:
If homosexuality is genetic, and the fact that it seems to have been present in a small fraction of the population since the dawn of recorded history seems to point that way, then it's as much a sin as having brown eyes.
I understand the logic. However, just because something has been around since the dawn of recorded time, that just doesn't equate into genetics. Would clapping be genetic? We've had clapping for a very long time.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
miniverchivi said:

Homosexuality is no worse than adultery, pre-marital sex and lying to your mom about taking cookies. I can think of far worse sins that need more attention besides denying gay's rights, such as dumb judges passing off get out of jail free cards to pedophiles cause they're "too short" for prison.:doh: :mad:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
When the day comes (and it will, inevitably) that homosexuality and gay-marriage become commonplace and accepted as completely normal and then Armageddon fails to happen I wonder how the religious will explain it away?

Shouldn't nations like Canada be swirling the drain by now for accepting homosexuality as perfectly normal? LOL.

Upvote 0

Brennin

Wielder of the Holy Cudgel of Faith
Aug 2, 2005
California
Visit site
✟10,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Alencon said:
Wow, the All Powerful, Almighty Creator of the Universe cannot stand the PRESENCE OF ANY SIN. Wow, I wonder why he created them then?

He didn't.

Alencon said:

Non sequitur.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
miniverchivi said:

Firstly, I think you are using too broad a brush here. Like with any other topic, there are all sorts of Christian opinions about it.

What makes homosexuality such a special "sin", that some people concentrate on it more than on any other "sin" and prefer to discuss it with no end? It´s about the only "sin" that the majority can be almost be sure to never even be tempted by. Go figure.

On another note, many Christians don´t regard homosexuality itself a "sin" of a somewhat higher level. (The only unforgivable "sins" seem to be disobedience and lack of faith, after all.)
What they have a problem with is the growing tendency to be unrepentitive concerning this behaviour, the tendency in our society (and in some Christian movements) to leave the traditional view and religious restrictions behind and establish it as perfectly acceptable.
What they are concerned with is the fact that homosexuality (or homosexual activity, for that matter) is about to lose its status of being a "sin".

Upvote 0

maniaco

Feb 10, 2006
ipswich, england
Visit site
✟8,484.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
RomanSoldier said:
The Bible says they are all punishable by death. In fact, you are disobeying God's word if you don't kill homosexuals

woah...well i for one am glad people don't listen to that particular part of God's word...

Upvote 0