Is having a child by insemination bad?

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You know seeking a sperm donor... I always thought a family needs 2 loving parents and I still agree with that. A friend of mine said she may go that route.,,.I told her it was stupid.... I do believe a child should have 2 parents but I guess when someone has so much love to give ....they don't want it to go to waste ...

If I desired kids really really bad ..if probably consider this but I thank God I don't have a burning desire for children...however I may adopt... And side question..can single people adopt?

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
You know seeking a sperm donor... I always thought a family needs 2 loving parents and I still agree with that. A friend of mine said she may go that route.,,.I told her it was stupid.... I do believe a child should have 2 parents but I guess when someone has so much love to give ....they don't want it to go to waste ...

If I desired kids really really bad ..if probably consider this but I thank God I don't have a burning desire for children...however I may adopt... And side question..can single people adopt?
I would not recommend it. A child is put at a serious disadvantage if they only have one parent. The family unit should always consist of one father, one mother, and the child(ren).

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bad idea. She ought to wait. It's not fair a child having one parent. To do it deliberately isn't fair. Not when there is a good chance of finding a husband in the future. Besides there a lot of things (eg morals, discipline) that a child learns naturally of their father.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I would NOT recommend adoption, especially of a child over 2-3 years old. That's the formative years of development, and if they're older they turn out like awful little sociopaths who ruin things and have no capacity for love or compassion.

I speak from some form of experience on the latter having witnessed it and now kind of consider myself an anti-adoption advocate since then.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Older adoptive kids can have challenges but that doesn't mean they always turn out sociopathic. Nor does it justify artificial insemination, necessarily.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I would NOT recommend adoption, especially of a child over 2-3 years old. That's the formative years of development, and if they're older they turn out like awful little sociopaths who ruin things and have no capacity for love or compassion.

I speak from some form of experience on the latter having witnessed it and now kind of consider myself an anti-adoption advocate since then.
Why do you say they'll be sociopaths?

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would guess she is saying it from a lack of love at a formative age, or the seoaration from a mother figure.

Before I had children it was always my plan to have one and adopt one. If I didn't have too many kids (3 lol) I would adopt if I was in a place to offer something. You never know when my kids grow up maybe I still can. I wouldn't be put off by a difficult child. All the more reason to love it. Could save it from a life of misery and drugs, prison and worse.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would guess she is saying it from a lack of love at a formative age, or the seoaration from a mother figure.

Before I had children it was always my plan to have one and adopt one. If I didn't have too many kids (3 lol) I would adopt if I was in a place to offer something. You never know when my kids grow up maybe I still can. I wouldn't be put off by a difficult child. All the more reason to love it. Could save it from a life of misery and drugs, prison and worse.

Sam91 pretty much has it spot-on. Due to not having a loving figure in their lives, and often being shuffled from home to home, the child doesn't have any trust in even the family that decides to care for them in the long run. No matter what effort the family puts into raising the child and tries to have the child reciprocate, the child will be disobedient, run away, threaten to hurt or kill the people in the family, not care about anyone, and even when they're an adult have all that effort be for nothing and have them go not caring about anyone because they don't have the physical brain capacity to, thus they're sociopaths.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Sam91 pretty much has it spot-on. Due to not having a loving figure in their lives, and often being shuffled from home to home, the child doesn't have any trust in even the family that decides to care for them in the long run. No matter what effort the family puts into raising the child and tries to have the child reciprocate, the child will be disobedient, run away, threaten to hurt or kill the people in the family, not care about anyone, and even when they're an adult have all that effort be for nothing and have them go not caring about anyone because they don't have the physical brain capacity to, thus they're sociopaths.
Wow...welp, guess I'm getting a pet.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm too compassionate. I think they at least deserve to have a chance to be turned around.

I don't think every child would be a sociopath but it takes an insightful parent to be able to take on the challenge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm too compassionate. I think they at least deserve to have a chance to be turned around.

I don't think every child would be a sociopath but it takes an insightful parent to be able to take on the challenge.
That's true. I think I'm better off with a pet maybe.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow...welp, guess I'm getting a pet.
Pet's are a better choice. Cheaper and take a little less looking after. Don't answer back either or say they hate you. Actually my teenage son said a few weeks back (on a day trip) no wonder you have no friends. I am so thankful to the the Lord, the giver of patience. That was one of the most hurtful things ever. It's because I'm busy all the time raising these children that I never accept invites to do things with other ladies. > . <

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Yeah, it's just a matter of said chance not only not being taken, but outright rejected.

However, my cousin was adopted when he was a little baby and he had absolutely none of those problems because he was adopted from that young age, and most of the time I even forget he was adopted.

That's true. I think I'm better off with a pet maybe.

Good choice there—both dogs and cats are really good pets, and so are bunnies, actually. :)

By the way, despite what some may think, you can train cats. :)

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Wow, I'm certainly glad God didn't reason that way when he adopted me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Theres wrong with adopting as a christian. However as other said its hard to raise a child by yourself. They cost alot. So on and so forth. And of course only one parent may affect your childs future. For now a pet is a great idea instead. Costly vet bills if you ever need to take them there, but very much a good companion.

just got to figure out what kind of pet you want. Dogs are fun, but they have to go out to do their "buisness" at all hours. They bark. Their fur can get dirty. They require alot more attention. Cats are more laid back, you don't have to focus on them 24/7. However every cat is different in terms of affection. Some like laps. Some don't. Some will set next to you, some will not. Our cats have always been fun and loving but I think it has to do with how we raise them.

Then you get into other pets like reptiles, rabbits, birds and so on. Each has good and bad. They often don't live as long as cats/dogs though.

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Were you adopted when you were less than 3 years old?

Irrelevant. Adoption (at any age) is one of the clearest expressions of God's redeeming love for his own children, especially in cases when we think the conditions are unfavorable, uncomfortable, or entail hard work. Do adoptions go wrong? Sure. Do they end badly sometimes? Sure. Do they work out a lot? Absolutely. Do they re-enact the Father's unconditionally adopting us? Without doubt.

It's just that, in my opinion, your portrayal of adoption—regardless of what anyone has personally been through—is scripturally without warrant, wildly overstated ("...awful little sociopaths who ruin things and have no capacity for love or compassion..."—really?), and, frankly, unconvincing. The reasons you gave against adopting are simply unreasonable. And, they are reasons which I am joyful God did not consider when he adopted me. I think we should do the same, frankly.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Irrelevant. Adoption (at any age) is one of the clearest expressions of God's redeeming love for his own children, especially in cases when we think the conditions are unfavorable, uncomfortable, or entail hard work.

God can do anything to correct such behavior. Humans cannot.

Do adoptions go wrong? Sure. Do they end badly sometimes? Sure. Do they work out a lot? Absolutely. Do they re-enact the Father's unconditionally adopting us? Without doubt.

I would't consider hell's existence "unconditionally".

It's just that, in my opinion, your portrayal of adoption—regardless of what anyone has personally been through—is scripturally without warrant,

Not everything is answered by Scripture.

wildly overstated ("...awful little sociopaths who ruin things and have no capacity for love or compassion..."—really?), and, frankly, unconvincing. The reasons you gave against adopting are simply unreasonable. And, they are reasons which I am joyful God did not consider when he adopted me. I think we should do the same, frankly.

I know for a fact it's not wildly overstated, because the things that I listed is exactly what I have experienced. It can't be "wildly overstated" if it's something that I have personally experienced. If I said that without having ever experienced it myself then you'd be right, but that's not the case.

Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I know for a fact it's not wildly overstated, because the things that I listed is exactly what I have experienced. It can't be "wildly overstated" if it's something that I have personally experienced. If I said that without having ever experienced it myself then you'd be right, but that's not the case.

It doesn't matter what you've experienced. Taking your personal experience—one person out of 7.5 billion people—and declaring it as the norm is textbook overstatement—and, when such overstatement is used in other contexts, it is the foundation racism, prejudice, violent religious acts and other moral atrocities. For example, if I were to take my personal experience of the nasty Russian woman I dealt with at work the other week and then conclude, "All Russian people are nasty," somebody would then (rightly) say, "Your assertion is wildly overstated." I could, by your logic which you just utilized against me, respond to them by saying, "I know for a fact it is not wildly overstated, because I personally experienced a nasty Russian the other week." You see how dangerous that logic is?

I have absolutely no doubt you have bad experiences with adoption, and I am very sorry for that. Those are real experiences, and I do not in any way want to diminish that. However, to take your personal experience and paint all of reality with it is not only myopic, but unethical, and simply false. What about those people who have experienced the exact opposite as you? Is their experience merely an illusion, and yours the true experience? Surely you would not affirm that, because that would not only be itself an illusion, but pretty arrogant, and I know you are not arrogant.

The trump card of personal experience is one of the downfalls of modernism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0