Is Harry Potter unacceptable to watch as a christian?

Is Harry Potter unacceptable to watch as a christian?

• Yes, the bible states so.

• I'm split on the issue.

• No, its fine to watch.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
It's an interesting question why Harry Potter didn't use more alchemical terminology and less terminology that could be confused with witchcraft, though there's a fair amount of alchemy as is. .

The witchcraft in Harry Potter is nothing like real witchcraft

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
It has been said before and ignored before.

Hence my obsessive need to keep pointing it out.

Without trying to violate the rules, rituals(spell work) involves alot of study, prep work and is much more than just one or two word latin incantations and its incredibly personal, what rituals spells work for one person wont have the same result for another

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
You've applied your critical thinking to say there is no witchcraft in harry potter, which is a ridiculous statement. Everything that movie is about is antithetical to what the bible teaches. If you enjoy watching stories about things our heavenly Father hates, I'd say you have a discernment problem. Even if I thought there was nothing wrong with Harry Potter, I still wouldn't watch it out of respect for the Father. But there are things which are wrong with it..I'll direct you to my next post.

Psst, real witch here. Who can say that what is propagated in Harry Potter bears no resemblance to real life witch craft

Upvote 0

tranz4md

Redeemed by His grace
Jun 6, 2011
✟15,434.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Instead of discussing it in a topic I made I thought I'd instead make a new topic just about this since this has been a big issue with christians. I think if someone watches Harry Potter they are sayings witchcraft is acceptable. Which is cleary against what God says.

Heres a good link about why Harry Potter is biblicaly unaceptable:
Is the “Harry Potter…” series truly harmless? • ChristianAnswers.Net

If you don't feel like reading its heres a section I cut out. If you can disagree with this then I dont' know what to say:

With that said I will bring up one last thing. I have this verse written down for a reason:

Now apply that verse to watch you just read about Harry Potter and ask yourself "Am I one of those who God will say he never knew me?". Heck this is why I use the verse in my own life and think about it deeply. I ask "Could I be one of those? If so what can I do to change something in my life!".

I have met people who have said that verse does not apply to them, but to me thats being prideful (which is also a sin). By saying it doesn't apply to you then you are saying you are a perfect christian that does not need to change. And we all know Jesus was the only perfect human (and ever will be) that lived on this planet.

Now I already now some will think I am judging them. But I am not, I am trying to help my fellow christians out! Its called reproving. And before someone claims I am judgemental please read my topic here about the diffrence between judgemental and reproving:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7634472/

Feel free to discuss anything I said although I cannot promise I will reply because the proof is sitting in my post. And lets try to not attack each other. Just like you, I am not perfect either. Nor do I claim to be by posting this.

In bold above... it seems many people in these forums want to attack any reproof given. The minute the truth of God is posted someone claims that person posting "The Word of God' is being judgmental. It just goes to show how many really don't want the truth of God in their lives.

I whole-heartedly agree with you. We are as brothers and sisters to reprove one another in love. It's for the love of Christ we share with each other here isn't it?

Upvote 0

Itagaki

You're Gonna go Far, Kid
Mar 19, 2012
✟15,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I prayed and God told me I can play Final Fantasy. I'm using a Black Mage in my party. :o

Blackmage-ff1-nes.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LisztLover

May 4, 2012
✟7,630.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'm a fairly conservative person, and even I don't see anything wrong at all with reading or watching Harry Potter. It's just a fantasy, it's not real. And I HIGHLY doubt that the Bible mentions anything about teenage wizard fantasies, so I think we're safe.

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was a kid, there was no Harry Potter. I think He-Man was the hot topic for a while amongst Christians with nothing better to do.

I find it sad that some Christian folk complain so loudly against the art of this world, but can't produce anything better themselves. We are made in the image of the Creator, and then complain that every creation of man is evil. And if I have to watch even one more movie starring Kirk Cameron...

Welp, I'd better get my paints out and get the plank out of my own eye.

Peace :)

Reactions: GrayAngel
Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In bold above... it seems many people in these forums want to attack any reproof given. The minute the truth of God is posted someone claims that person posting "The Word of God' is being judgmental. It just goes to show how many really don't want the truth of God in their lives.

I whole-heartedly agree with you. We are as brothers and sisters to reprove one another in love. It's for the love of Christ we share with each other here isn't it?

Thank you! :) Its very true. I was told when someone attacks you after reproving they do so out of anger, which is usually caused because they are feeling guilt from the Holy Spirit. But instead of admitting maybe they need to change, they instead attack you for pointing out what is what the bible says.

I've told people before on here. Its still your life, you can go watch inappropriate content movies if you want. You have to answer for it not me. I've done my part as a brother in the Lord and reproved you. Anyone who knows me on here, knows that I do not say anything if I have no proof from the bible I am right.

In this case though. Theres an actual verse that even says to stay away from witchcraft. So its not like I am making my own view up. We are to go by what the bible says. But I see its sadly common for people to find ways around a verse to sin. I've been told that be so many pastors its crazy!

Heck I know its true because I made excuses for some of my bad sinning before! This does not mean I am perfect, I say this because I know someone will be like "Get that log out of your eye!". Anyone who reproves should admit they sin just as well or else it would come off as judging.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[/font]
Thank you! :) Its very true. I was told when someone attacks you after reproving they do so out of anger, which is usually caused because they are feeling guilt from the Holy Spirit. But instead of admitting maybe they need to change, they instead attack you for pointing out what is what the bible says.

I've told people before on here. Its still your life, you can go watch inappropriate content movies if you want. You have to answer for it not me. I've done my part as a brother in the Lord and reproved you. Anyone who knows me on here, knows that I do not say anything if I have no proof from the bible I am right.

In this case though. Theres an actual verse that even says to stay away from witchcraft. So its not like I am making my own view up. We are to go by what the bible says. But I see its sadly common for people to find ways around a verse to sin. I've been told that be so many pastors its crazy!

Heck I know its true because I made excuses for some of my bad sinning before! This does not mean I am perfect, I say this because I know someone will be like "Get that log out of your eye!". Anyone who reproves should admit they sin just as well or else it would come off as judging.

You're an idiot. No offense. I'm just giving you some reproof. [/logic debunked]

You are being judgmental, and that's why people are getting mad at you. You're claiming that people who watch or read Harry Potter are rebelling against God and that we're not a spiritually adept as you are. Our anger has nothing to do with guilt but a natural hate for ignorance.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
[/font]

sorry but it is still your opinion. There is no witchcraft in harry potter. Talking in a foreign language that is taught at most schools is not witchcraft. So yeah the bible says stay away from witchcraft and I am but reading harry potter does not break that instruction. you are welcome to disagree just don't claim it as fact. it is like the article you posted in another topic that i proved the claims to be wrong about using nothing but the article itself as evidence. yet you still say it is true. You are so adamant that your right you won't even consider it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please read this and explain how it is wrong:
Harry Potter books (and movie) are quite popular now, and even more Harry Potter will be found in all kinds of marketing schemes to profit from this popularity. My objection to the book series is from the point of the worldview represented, and the participation of the "good guys" in occult practices specifically prohibited in the Bible. The following are practices that the Bible forbids believers from engaging in:

Occult Practices Forbidden in the Bible:
(# times mentionedverses)sorcery (5)1divination (13)2mediums (7)3conjuring spirits (5)4necromancy (2)5fortune telling (7)6witchcraft (2)7charming (2)8wizardry (2)9enchantments (2)10spiritism (1)11signs performed using evil powers (4)12astrology (1)13false visions (3)14spells (2)15occult books (1)

The Old Testament describes the punishment, given by God, for those who participate in occult practices. For both the one who practices and the one who hires the one who practices, the penalty is death (Exodus 22:18,1Micah 5:12,1 Leviticus 20:6,3Leviticus 20:27,3 1 Chronicles 10:13-14,3), indicating the seriousness of these offenses.

These prohibitions extend to both the Old and New Testaments. Occult practices by believers are condemned by Jesus in the books of Matthew and Mark,12Paul in the books of Galatians1 and 2 Thessalonians,12 and Luke (several times in the book of Acts).2, 4, 16

Some of those who practiced sorcery, when they became followers of Jesus Christburned their occult books.16 These days, however, many Christians are actually promoting these books to other believers, and finding "Christian" analogies and even the "Gospel" story in it.

The problem is that the "good" guys in Harry Potter are relying upon magic and sorcery instead of God for their power. The Bible states emphatically that doing evil to accomplish good ends is not acceptable.17
I have heard from many Christians that the Harry Potter series is fantasy, and so it is okay to indulge in it, since it isn't "real" witchcraft.

The problem that we Christians have is that we have believed the Disney lie that witchcraft is okay, or maybe just a minor sin. We have been indoctrinated by the years of slow introduction through the culture and videos into believing that it is okay to indulge in this stuff as long as we don't actually participate in it personally.

However, the Harry Potter stories take place in the fantasy land of Great Britain. Most would agree that this is a real place. Are all things that are classified as fantasy okay for a Christian to indulge in? Is it okay to play video games where the object is to murder everybody in sight, with blood and body parts flying everywhere? Is it okay for a Christian to read trashy novels where everybody is engaged in adulterous, incestuous or bisexual activities?

It is fantasy after all, so it must be okay to read these things? The fallacy of the fantasy excuse becomes apparent when we discuss areas of sin that are still considered sinful by the culture to which we have become acclimated.

Other Christian writers, such as C. S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia, have used fantasy and magic. The difference between C. S. Lewis and Harry Potter is the source of the power. In The Chronicles of Narnia, the source of the power is Aslan - the Lion representation of Jesus Christ. In Harry Potter, the source of power is unknown, but available to those who wants to use it.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lastly if your able to somehow think that article is wrong try this one. I've convinced some people with this article that their vie won Harry Potter was wrong after all:

There’s no denying that Harry Potter has taken the world by storm. About 11 years ago I picked up the books for the first time on my mom’s suggestion, and I was completely fascinated. It’s the best fiction I’ve ever read. However, a few years after I started my mom found a book that discussed why Christians should look into Harry Potter a little more closely before reading the books and watching the movies.

To be completely honest, I didn’t care at all. I loved the books and I wanted to read the upcoming book just as much. However, a little over a year ago I decided to really examine the issue for the first time. In the next few paragraphs I will discuss why I don’t plan on going to see the final two installments.

It’s quite clear that the Bible speaks out against sorcery and witchcraft. However, I (and the vast majority of Bible believers) found ways to defuse whatever the Bible says about sorcery by claiming that it had nothing to do with Harry Potter. So, in this post I want to first examine what the Bible says about sorcery and witchcraft before looking at the reasons given for why those Scriptures may not deal with Harry Potter.
In Galatians 5:20, sorcery is listed as part of the “deeds of the flesh” along with things like idolatry, drunkenness, and fornication. “Sorcerers” are named in a similar list in Revelation 21:8.

In Acts 19:19, those that practice magic brought their books and burned them when they turned to the Lord. In the Old Testament, Deuteronomy 18:10-14 warns the nation of Israel about the things they will face in their new land – like idolatry, child sacrifices, and witchcraft. 2 Chronicles 33:6 says that King Manasseh “practiced witchcraft, used divination, practiced sorcery and dealt with mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the sigh of the Lord, provoking Him to anger” (NASB). Clearly, in both the Old and New Testaments God was against sorcery, witchcraft, and divination

So, how does that not apply to Harry Potter? The first claim is the words mean something different than the kind of magic practiced in Harry Potter. Let’s look at the words. The Greek word (roughly transliterated) is pharmakeia. Yes, that’s where our word “pharmacy” comes from. Typically that leads people to say that this word is talking about drug abuse, thus it does not apply to HP.

While I can see why they make that claim, those that translated practically every English version of the Bible seemed to think that it had to do with more than drug abuse. BDAG, a definitive lexicon on New Testament Greek, defines it as “sorcery, magic” and “magic arts” (Bauer 1049). Clearly it implies more than just simple drug use. However, even if it did, would Harry Potter’s use of potions pass this test?

What about “witchcraft”? This one is a little tougher since it isn’t used in the New Testament. The Enhanced Strong’s Lexicon defines it as one who practices “soothsaying or spiritism or magic or augury” (Strong #6049). So, witchcraft is a much broader term than sorcery. It includes magic, but it basically is about fortune telling and divining the future. These (sorcery and witchcraft) terms have everything to do with the kind of magic practiced in Harry Potter.

The next claim is that Harry Potter is just fiction and this kind of magic isn’t real, so there’s nothing wrong with HP. First, just because it is fictional doesn’t get us off the hook. Remember, sorcery was listed as a deed of the flesh along with idolatry and sexual immorality. I don’t know of any Christian that would make a case for watching movies where fornicators and homosexuals are the heroes. I have a hard time seeing how just saying “it’s fictional” makes it acceptable. Second, this magic may not exist as much today (although there are still practicing witches and warlocks), but it clearly isn’t a completely foreign.

In Exodus 7, Pharaoh had sorcerers that would come out and try to match the miracles that God. This is why God felt it necessary to warn His people about men like these in Deuteronomy 18. King Nebuchadnezzar also kept a staff of magicians, sorcerers, and conjurers in Daniel 2:2. While some may claim that people can’t work these acts today, it hasn’t stopped the Wiccan “religion” from staying alive and well. It hasn’t disappeared completely, so saying that it is fiction or such a far-fetched idea that we need not worry about it doesn’t work either.

On top of what the Bible says about witchcraft, don’t forget that the Harry Potter movies have become increasingly dark. Having read the book, I’m pretty sure that the next two movies will involve murder, torture, cursing, and things of that sort that Christians should think twice about before viewing. I think that a lot of people (me in the past included) are willing to write off those blemishes in the movies and books because they like the story . Let us never become desensitized. At some point we have to go back to Philippians 4:8.

To conclude this post, I can’t say that I condemn Harry Potter outright. However, due to all of the things I discussed above, I don’t feel comfortable with being involved in the stories anymore. With the evidence against it I don’t want to take the chance. Like I said before, the stories are incredibly well-written and I really enjoyed them, so if anyone can justify it please share. If we can’t justify it by the Book, we shouldn’t do it.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
you still have not countered the point that what is done in harry potter is not magic.

the articles claims that Chronicles of narnia are ok because the source supposedly represents God is also not reasonable. It is still magic so therefore it is wrong.

The article says the source of magic in HP is not know. Big whoop! so what if it is unknown? That does not rule out that the story could have been written to represent the gospel.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
you still have not countered the point that what is done in harry potter is not magic
Despite the fact they call it magic. Just because Harry Potter does not do what for isntance Wiccans or Voodoo people do, does not mean its not magic. All power comes from either God or Satan. So if your watching a movie then you have to realize if the power isn't from God that HO has then its from the other side.

And I've posted articles from the women who wrote the books who said she BASED it on witchcraft she researched. Sure she made it more "fantasy" so people would be interested in it, but its still based on real world witchcraft ideas. Are you saying its not magic despite the fact there proof she admits its based on witchcraft?!?

I can agree that Narnia is magic and wrong too. But people think just because something has a christian theme that its ok. Or if it has something "nice" in it. You've never heard of "inappropriate content for christians" for a reason. Just as you've never heard of "Witchcraft for chrsitians".

Also if its not real magic or based on real witchcraft then explain why many ex-witches who are now christian are against the movie? They say JK Rowling simply took the message of witchcraft and twisted into some family friendy book to lure people away from the truth. The devil does the same thing, he twists everything so we see it "ok". Heck as we speak the devil is twisting it in your heads so you only see it as a good movie/book.

Here are the last quotes I will post:
“Clara Sessoms, who manages Living Water Christian Books in Marion, Ind. [says] ‘I don’t think people fully realize what they’re dealing with, and I think anyone who knows anything about spiritual warfare knows those books can open the door to spiritual bondage.’ ‘And I think it’s worse that children are the target,’ said Jessica Ruemler, a buyer for Living Water. ‘It opens the doors for young minds. You put sorcery in, what do you expect to get out?’”

“With the growing popularity of youth-oriented TV shows on witchcraft—‘Sabrina, the Teenage Witch;’ ‘Charmed;’ ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’—a generation of children is becoming desensitized to the occult. But with Hollywood’s help, Harry Potter will likely surpass all these influences, potentially reaping some grave spiritual consequences.”
I totally agree with this, it seems like half of every church I go to is into something like Buffy or Twilight....etc. I can admit I was into moives like Blade and Hellboy. I mean....Hellboy, a story about the devils offspring and I still watched it because they made it all "funny" and "relativly friendly". Its another movie where the world twists things we shouldn't watch so it is more appealing to us.

“J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series, has gone through an awful lot of research. She is very accurate (otherwise we would have witches all over the country and the world saying ‘this is not a true representation of our religion.’) This is a true representation of witchcraft, and the black arts, and black magic.

And yet we have people that say this is merely fantasy and harmless reading for our children. Actually, what makes this more dangerous is that it is couched in fantasy language, and children’s literature, and made to be humorous, and beautifully written and extremely provocative reading. and it just opens up children to want to have the next one. This is what is so harmful.”
In reagrds to this quote, the statement about no witches complained about it being innaccurate is a very good point. Because they ex-witches as I said above think Harry Potter is dangerous and to real when you peel back the kid firendly nature of it.

So if you still think its ok then I'm out of words really. Even if you want to say "its not witchcraft", it doesn't change the fact the movies deal with the occult as stated above. The truth will fall on deaf ears is what God tells us and this is so true in the case of Harry Potter. Theres evidence stacked against it but so many come up with their own reasoning why its not bad. Its like someone looking at inappropriate content for the first time "Its just one quick look! What can it hurt!" >.<

I'm done responding to this topic because lets face it. No one wants to admit they are doing something that God says not to. I have said all I can and now its up to God and the Holy Spirit to convict and try to change your view.

If anyone wants any more responses then I just point out my new signature below.

Upvote 0