Is Harry Potter unacceptable to watch as a christian?

Is Harry Potter unacceptable to watch as a christian?

• Yes, the bible states so.

• I'm split on the issue.

• No, its fine to watch.

Results are only viewable after voting.

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is under the title of fictional. But again, how much have we exercised our senses to discern good and evil. Gray angel, maybe that is why your name is thus, you see much grey areas. I look at most anything as if it is black or white. But the black and white witchcraft is not so. I see both as black from the same source.

My name is GrayAngel because of my late brother Grayson. And according to the Bible, there are many gray areas. Should you abstain from eating pork? Like the Jews, you could opt to do that, but it won't earn you any points in Heaven.

I have seen many movies taken from the bible. I would have to say that I have enjoyed most if not all of them and still enjoy some good bible movies presently. I also like to hear the audio bible on youtube. I can listen to it while I play a game, visit these forums, or while I sleep.

As for offense, I am hardly offended. I just consider the source. As for the bible, I am not offended by the word of God, but at times convicted. I think that is a major part of being a son of God.

If a movie about Biblical times presents itself as completely fictional, then you should take offense of it. It would be like watching the History channel on the life of Jesus. Someone who doesn't believe what they portray will show it in a way that makes it hard to believe.

This is what Harry Potter does. Nothing in it is anything like what someone who's serious about the occult would believe about it. It's about as believable as The Wizard of Oz. If you can find an actual group that believes what J. K. Rowling writes about is true, I would be impressed. But then again, there's also a group that believes Batman is real.

Upvote 0

bloodbought09

Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
united states
✟10,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So... A supposed ex-witch and a biased YouTube video told you so? How about an actual quote from a respectable source?

The latter, by the way, is quoting her out of context. She's describing her creative ability as something that comes naturally to here. It's the same for any good artist. She does not commune with demons.

But the natural person does not receive the things of God for they are foolishness to them. And cannot understand them, for they are spiritually discerned.

Those who are blinded by the prince of the power of the air may look for spiritual things. But since they have not received the love of the truth, they cannot receive true spiritual truth. But what they can receive is a lie.

What did Adam and Eve have? What did the serpent promise them? Here we can see that even those who have known the truth could be deceived. And how it must have bothered them to once know God but be separated from Him, having not the close relationship but just a memory of it.

As the end days unfold we will see the fruit of Harry Potter over time just as we have seen what is called Christian manifest whether it is light or darkness. Just as wheat and chaff grow up quite similar, when it is fully grown it is seen by what it truly is. It is quite apparent that this Harry Potter series is not of God now nor will it at all be. If we cannot see what something is at this time but it manifests later, I am sure it is not at all difficult for what is truly darkness will manifest itself as nothing but darkness later. And this may be manifest by whether we are blind ourselves.

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Which is why I don't watch inappropriate content or shows that promote the many immoral beliefs that are common in this age. But there is nothing potentially damaging about watching or reading Harry Potter. I've read every book and watched every movie, and my faith is still strong and healthy. I have no desire to cook newts in a pot or say silly words that have no actual magical power in the real world.

Yes, it's damaging to the spirit.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But the natural person does not receive the things of God for they are foolishness to them. And cannot understand them, for they are spiritually discerned.

Those who are blinded by the prince of the power of the air may look for spiritual things. But since they have not received the love of the truth, they cannot receive true spiritual truth. But what they can receive is a lie.

What did Adam and Eve have? What did the serpent promise them? Here we can see that even those who have known the truth could be deceived. And how it must have bothered them to once know God but be separated from Him, having not the close relationship but just a memory of it.

As the end days unfold we will see the fruit of Harry Potter over time just as we have seen what is called Christian manifest whether it is light or darkness. Just as wheat and chaff grow up quite similar, when it is fully grown it is seen by what it truly is. It is quite apparent that this Harry Potter series is not of God now nor will it at all be. If we cannot see what something is at this time but it manifests later, I am sure it is not at all difficult for what is truly darkness will manifest itself as nothing but darkness later. And this may be manifest by whether we are blind ourselves.

We have already seen the fruit of Harry Potter: a bunch of kids dressing up in colorful robes and getting excited about the newest fan craze. It will be and has already begun to lose its influence.

You're pretty fluent speaking in meaningless garbage designed to sound similar to scripture, but it doesn't have any affect on someone with a rational mind or who knows the Bible thoroughly enough themselves.

Are you trying to tell me I'm spiritually blind? I know what spiritual blindness looks like. I and many of the brothers and sisters who also happen to like Harry Potter are far from the masses of spiritual zombies that fill our seats every Sunday morning. To say that Harry Potter has blinded us would be quite a stretch.

Yes, it's damaging to the spirit.

Provide your evidence or I will dismiss this little comment as another useless opinion.

Upvote 0

bloodbought09

Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
united states
✟10,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My name is GrayAngel because of my late brother Grayson. And according to the Bible, there are many gray areas. Should you abstain from eating pork? Like the Jews, you could opt to do that, but it won't earn you any points in Heaven.

I eat pork occasionally, but there must be a reason why it is deemed unclean. But all food is sanctified by prayer and thanksgiving. Dietary laws are much different from the commandment.

If a movie about Biblical times presents itself as completely fictional, then you should take offense of it. It would be like watching the History channel on the life of Jesus. Someone who doesn't believe what they portray will show it in a way that makes it hard to believe.

I am sure we would both confess that the bible is not fiction. And I do think we could discern that the world may not understand the resurrection so they might portray Jesus in a way that is understood in the natural by logic and reason alone. They might even claim that He did not come in the flesh but we know by the bible that this is the spirit of the antichrist.

This is what Harry Potter does. Nothing in it is anything like what someone who's serious about the occult would believe about it. It's about as believable as The Wizard of Oz. If you can find an actual group that believes what J. K. Rowling writes about is true, I would be impressed. But then again, there's also a group that believes Batman is real.

Yes, and star trek and star wars. Many fanatics follow these series and many may well follow Harry Potter as well as fanatics. But the world will see us who follow Jesus Christ as fanatics as well. Some of us may even truly see those who say they follow Jesus Christ as fanatics as well, especially when it comes to Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, because we know how they twist scripture and how tweeked their doctrines are because of that twisting.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Yes, and star trek and star wars.

Are you saying that Star Wars and Star Trek are bad?

I certainly hope not! Out of all the movies I have ever seen, the Star Wars Saga is my favorite out of them all, followed by the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Balto.

Upvote 0

bloodbought09

Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
united states
✟10,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying that Star Wars and Star Trek are bad?

I certainly hope not! Out of all the movies I have ever seen, the Star Wars Saga is my favorite out of them all, followed by the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Balto.

It is all rubbish compared to knowing Jesus Christ.

As for Gandalf the grey and Gandalf the white, this wizard had to die in order to be clothed in white garments. As for the ring of power. I can see this represents the sin that has brought us into bondage and so easily besets us. That must be cast off into the fire to be burned up.

Not too crazy about both of these series myself at this time, though I once was. What does the future hold? You think you might have interest changes in the future? I know I have.

I like the movie "hotel for dogs". Got alot of Holy Ghost revelation watching that with my pastor and his wife. But then again, the pastor I watched it with has a tendency by the Holy Spirit to affect the atmosphere. He used to talk about how if you were walking with Jesus Christ, you could enter a room and darkness would say "I am out of here". We held baptism down at the beach at a time when there was much partying. Eventually, all who were there was the members of our church.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
It is all rubbish compared to knowing Jesus Christ.

That may be true, but it's not a sin to watch it.

Sorry, I will continue watching Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.

None of it is sin to watch.

Start talking inappropriate content, yeah, that's sin.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Here is some material from a Christian site that engages the brain as well as the spirit.

J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter novels were never primarily about magic. They were always primarily about sacrificial love. And in the final film, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, as in the more nuanced novel, Rowling's exploration of love takes us into fresh and fertile terrain.

The Potter story begins with Harry's mother's self-sacrifice for her infant child. It is this love that protects him from the Dark Lord's murderous intent. Harry is covered by his mother's blood - her life for his. Similarly, in the first novel, Ron risks death that others might live but survives, whilst Flammel, the owner of the Philosopher's Stone, consents to its destruction, and thereby foregoes his own immortality.

As the series progresses, Harry comes to realise that what distinguishes him from his enemy is his capacity to love. In the denouement, that capacity is tested to the limit, as he, like Aslan, like Jesus, deliberately puts himself in the power of his enemy.

Rowling's exploration of love and its costs, however, goes wider. Yes, the children are central but, unlike most children's fiction, the adults in the Potter stories are critical both to the action and the themes. So Harry's allies - surrogate families and godparents and teachers - are not just committed to a cause but committed to Harry. In particular, Dumbledore, Harry's headmaster and surrogate father, nurtures him, protects him, empowers him, loves him. Still, we discover, he had always known that, if Voldemort were to be defeated, Harry would have to die. What kind of love, the film asks, can nurture a child with that dread knowledge? What kind of love enables a loving 'father' to raise a son for a death so premature?

And what kind of love does Snape display? Not only working, at enormous personal risk, to defeat Voldemort but committed to the protection of Harry, the child of a man he despised and of a woman, now dead, whom he had loved from childhood but who had not loved him. Here is the nobility of an unrequited love that does not curdle to bitterness or revenge but does what the beloved would want, even though that love cannot be returned. Selfless faithfulness indeed.

True love, Rowling teaches us, comes in many forms. And she has thereby given us, it seems to me, one of the richest explorations of love ever offered in children's fiction.

Bravo, I say.

Harry Potter and the Subjects the Church Forgot

If you're undecided about whether the Potter books are essentially a 'good thing' or not, then the latest instalment, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, is unlikely to help you make up your mind. No darker than Potter 4 or 5 but much easier to read, it is a funny, engaging tale in which, if anything, Rowling's powers of characterisation are keener than ever.
Whilst the Pope and a number of other Christian commentators regard the series as a portal to the occult, Rowling has constructed a coherent fantasy world that has little, if any connection, with the worldviews or values of real witchcraft or Wicca.
Indeed, the first novel celebrates the willingness of three separate individuals to lay down their lives out of love for others. Similarly, throughout the series, it is not Harry's skill as a wizard that rescues him from death but his courage and loyalty, the sacrificial love of his mother and the selfless help of his friends and teachers.
It is, of course, entirely right that we should carefully critique the work of the most popular author of our age, but sobering that, back in the school room, our children are studying all kinds of often brilliant literary texts - humanist, existentialist, nihilist, materialist and expressly anti-God - with hardly a pamphlet on how to do so through Biblical lenses.
Alas, the Church's rapid engagement with Rowling is not an indicator of a wider engagement with literature or the national curriculum in general. [bless and do not curse] Sadly, it reveals the opposite: we are obsessed with the superficially 'spiritual', the fantasy world of witches and wizards, and have, on the whole, ignored the superficially 'secular' - from Aldous Huxley to Harold Pinter, from the theology of maths to the philosophy of history.
Christ, however, came to reconcile all things to himself - "whether things on earth or things in heaven". (Colossians 1:20) And that includes the ordinary as well as the extraordinary, the world of pots and pans and performance targets, as well as the world of cauldrons (leaky and sound), kettles, and the Care of Magical Creatures.
Mark Greene
LICC

Reactions: GrayAngel
Upvote 0

bloodbought09

Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
united states
✟10,354.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have already seen the fruit of Harry Potter: a bunch of kids dressing up in colorful robes and getting excited about the newest fan craze. It will be and has already begun to lose its influence.

You're pretty fluent speaking in meaningless garbage designed to sound similar to scripture, but it doesn't have any affect on someone with a rational mind or who knows the Bible thoroughly enough themselves.

Are you trying to tell me I'm spiritually blind? I know what spiritual blindness looks like. I and many of the brothers and sisters who also happen to like Harry Potter are far from the masses of spiritual zombies that fill our seats every Sunday morning. To say that Harry Potter has blinded us would be quite a stretch.

Provide your evidence or I will dismiss this little comment as another useless opinion.

Not saying you are spiritually blind. I agree there are many "spiritual" people sitting in the pews asleep. What is to say of taking of that cup and the blood of Jesus Christ in an unworthy manner? Not discerning the Lord's body.

I do not think you know the bible thoroughly. I do not even and know the amount of information I may not know. Makes room for more exciting things to learn. Rational mind? Is that anything like having the mind of Christ?

One more question. Are you around many people who have the gift of discerning of spirits?

You are offended. Forgive me. Did not mean to cause you to add insult to insult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not saying you are spiritually blind. I agree there are many "spiritual" people sitting in the pews asleep. What is to say of taking of that cup and the blood of Jesus Christ in an unworthy manner? Not discerning the Lord's body.

I have seen no adverse affects in myself or anyone else on account of Harry Potter. If I can be committed to Christ and like a movie-adapted book series, and if there are no negative consequences for it, then there is no problem.

I do not think you know the bible thoroughly. I do not even and know the amount of information I may not know. Makes room for more exciting things to learn. Rational mind? Is that anything like having the mind of Christ?

Jesus and His disciples had very rational minds, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to reason so brilliantly with their audiences. If you lack a good head on your shoulders, you will be lead around like tumble weed, moving wherever the wind blows.

One more question. Are you around many people who have the gift of discerning of spirits?

I've met a lot of "holy-ghost Pentecostals" who thought they had it, as well as people who thought they could prophesy and speak in the tongues of angels. I can't stand being around those people.

People who genuinely have the gift will not be so showy with it, and they will have better things to do with it than tell everyone what and what not to read.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I have seen no adverse affects in myself or anyone else on account of Harry Potter. If I can be committed to Christ and like a movie-adapted book series, and if there are no negative consequences for it, then there is no problem.

Jesus and His disciples had very rational minds, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to reason so brilliantly with their audiences. If you lack a good head on your shoulders, you will be lead around like tumble weed, moving wherever the wind blows.

I've met a lot of "holy-ghost Pentecostals" who thought they had it, as well as people who thought they could prophecy and speak in the tongues of angels. I can't stand being around those people.

People who genuinely have the gift will not be so showy with it, and they will have better things to do with it than tell everyone what and what not to read.

I agree 100% with what's posted in quotes.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here is some material from a Christian site that engages the brain as well as the spirit.

J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter novels were never primarily about magic. They were always primarily about sacrificial love. And in the final film, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, as in the more nuanced novel, Rowling's exploration of love takes us into fresh and fertile terrain.

The Potter story begins with Harry's mother's self-sacrifice for her infant child. It is this love that protects him from the Dark Lord's murderous intent. Harry is covered by his mother's blood - her life for his. Similarly, in the first novel, Ron risks death that others might live but survives, whilst Flammel, the owner of the Philosopher's Stone, consents to its destruction, and thereby foregoes his own immortality.

As the series progresses, Harry comes to realise that what distinguishes him from his enemy is his capacity to love. In the denouement, that capacity is tested to the limit, as he, like Aslan, like Jesus, deliberately puts himself in the power of his enemy.

Rowling's exploration of love and its costs, however, goes wider. Yes, the children are central but, unlike most children's fiction, the adults in the Potter stories are critical both to the action and the themes. So Harry's allies - surrogate families and godparents and teachers - are not just committed to a cause but committed to Harry. In particular, Dumbledore, Harry's headmaster and surrogate father, nurtures him, protects him, empowers him, loves him. Still, we discover, he had always known that, if Voldemort were to be defeated, Harry would have to die. What kind of love, the film asks, can nurture a child with that dread knowledge? What kind of love enables a loving 'father' to raise a son for a death so premature?

And what kind of love does Snape display? Not only working, at enormous personal risk, to defeat Voldemort but committed to the protection of Harry, the child of a man he despised and of a woman, now dead, whom he had loved from childhood but who had not loved him. Here is the nobility of an unrequited love that does not curdle to bitterness or revenge but does what the beloved would want, even though that love cannot be returned. Selfless faithfulness indeed.

True love, Rowling teaches us, comes in many forms. And she has thereby given us, it seems to me, one of the richest explorations of love ever offered in children's fiction.

Bravo, I say.

Harry Potter and the Subjects the Church Forgot

If you're undecided about whether the Potter books are essentially a 'good thing' or not, then the latest instalment, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, is unlikely to help you make up your mind. No darker than Potter 4 or 5 but much easier to read, it is a funny, engaging tale in which, if anything, Rowling's powers of characterisation are keener than ever.
Whilst the Pope and a number of other Christian commentators regard the series as a portal to the occult, Rowling has constructed a coherent fantasy world that has little, if any connection, with the worldviews or values of real witchcraft or Wicca.
Indeed, the first novel celebrates the willingness of three separate individuals to lay down their lives out of love for others. Similarly, throughout the series, it is not Harry's skill as a wizard that rescues him from death but his courage and loyalty, the sacrificial love of his mother and the selfless help of his friends and teachers.
It is, of course, entirely right that we should carefully critique the work of the most popular author of our age, but sobering that, back in the school room, our children are studying all kinds of often brilliant literary texts - humanist, existentialist, nihilist, materialist and expressly anti-God - with hardly a pamphlet on how to do so through Biblical lenses.
Alas, the Church's rapid engagement with Rowling is not an indicator of a wider engagement with literature or the national curriculum in general. [bless and do not curse] Sadly, it reveals the opposite: we are obsessed with the superficially 'spiritual', the fantasy world of witches and wizards, and have, on the whole, ignored the superficially 'secular' - from Aldous Huxley to Harold Pinter, from the theology of maths to the philosophy of history.
Christ, however, came to reconcile all things to himself - "whether things on earth or things in heaven". (Colossians 1:20) And that includes the ordinary as well as the extraordinary, the world of pots and pans and performance targets, as well as the world of cauldrons (leaky and sound), kettles, and the Care of Magical Creatures.
Mark Greene
LICC

Very well put. Spoken like someone who knows what they're talking about. When I compare what you have to say with what groups like the Goodlaugh Ministries argues, I can't help but chuckle a little.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not blind, but rather doctrinally naive, a simplistic gospel that focuses on some favourite sins whilst ignoring most others, that teaches a separation that prevents meaningful communication of the gospel to non believers, that reads into material all kinds of 'nasties' that ignore genre, themes, characterisation and literary skills.

Your comments, and those of Mark Greene illustrate a very real difference.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not blind, but rather doctrinally naive, a simplistic gospel that focuses on some favourite sins whilst ignoring most others, that teaches a separation that prevents meaningful communication of the gospel to non believers, that reads into material all kinds of 'nasties' that ignore genre, themes, characterisation and literary skills.

Your comments, and those of Mark Greene illustrate a very real difference.

John
NZ

Who are you referring to? You know I'm agreeing with you, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I never cared for when people try to find the good in every bad movie. To me they are making excuses to watch it. You can find both good and bad morals in any movie. If you skip over the bad lessons in a movie and just stick with the good...then ANY movie can be watched! This is why we are not to make excuses for these movies and instead ask ourselves is what we are watching REALLY what God would watch or are we just trying to find a loophole so we can watch what we want.

When our church has a giant sale to get money for the missionaries. One of the women that lead it was seeling her Harry Potter movies and book ends. When we asked her (not knowing they were hers) shoudl we allow that kind of stuff in the sale she said yes and got defensive about it after stating they were hers. Alot of people int he church questioned it being there. But then this lady removed any books that had any sort of adult themes like military, romance novels, books that depcited art and had breasts of a woman drawn hudreds of years ago.

And yet Harry Potter was allowed to be sold. Sad. I'd much rather my chlid read an art book and see a poorly drawn breast then watch something about witchcraft. I said it a few times in this topic but many here claim witchcarft isn't real or its not like what you see in the movies. But the question is have you met and REAL witches or warlocks? If not then you don't know whats out there.

One of our friends grew up and was a real witch. No she couldn't turn you into a toad or fly on a broomstick, but she said there was MANY dark things she can't even explain that she was able to do until she started to turn and become a christian at which point a battle raged in her body that almost killed her.

Even our old pastor who has been to so many countries said something like Voodoo is very real. Its yet another people just file under "myth". But he said if you seen what they do, it does not come from man or God!

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I never cared for when people try to find the good in every bad movie. To me they are making excuses to watch it. You can find both good and bad morals in any movie. If you skip over the bad lessons in a movie and just stick with the good...then ANY movie can be watched! This is why we are not to make excuses for these movies and instead ask ourselves is what we are watching REALLY what God would watch or are we just trying to find a loophole so we can watch what we want.

When our church has a giant sale to get money for the missionaries. One of the women that lead it was seeling her Harry Potter movies and book ends. When we asked her (not knowing they were hers) shoudl we allow that kind of stuff in the sale she said yes and got defensive about it after stating they were hers. Alot of people int he church questioned it being there. But then this lady removed any books that had any sort of adult themes like military, romance novels, books that depcited art and had breasts of a woman drawn hudreds of years ago.

And yet Harry Potter was allowed to be sold. Sad. I'd much rather my chlid read an art book and see a poorly drawn breast then watch something about witchcraft. I said it a few times in this topic but many here claim witchcarft isn't real or its not like what you see in the movies. But the question is have you met and REAL witches or warlocks? If not then you don't know whats out there.

One of our friends grew up and was a real witch. No she couldn't turn you into a toad or fly on a broomstick, but she said there was MANY dark things she can't even explain that she was able to do until she started to turn and become a christian at which point a battle raged in her body that almost killed her.

Even our old pastor who has been to so many countries said something like Voodoo is very real. Its yet another people just file under "myth". But he said if you seen what they do, it does not come from man or God!

So you'd rather have your kids staring at a woman's naked body than read a novel? Interesting...

And did this real witch by chance tell you she was inspired to become a witch by reading The Philosopher's Stone?

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Witchcraft is very real. But a story using imagery is not necessarily witchcraft. The apocalyptic books use very vivid imagery that is not meant to be literally real - ten headed beasts, composite animal characteristics and so on. Those images were written to convey an account of history.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Looking at this thread is kind of ironic, since I'm planning to use the Deathly Hallows to introduce the atonement in Sunday School shortly. (I teach 7th and 8th grades.) The parallels aren't perfect, but they are good enough to start a discussion.

Upvote 0