Is Harry Potter unacceptable to watch as a christian?

Is Harry Potter unacceptable to watch as a christian?

• Yes, the bible states so.

• I'm split on the issue.

• No, its fine to watch.

Results are only viewable after voting.

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Instead of discussing it in a topic I made I thought I'd instead make a new topic just about this since this has been a big issue with christians. I think if someone watches Harry Potter they are sayings witchcraft is acceptable. Which is cleary against what God says.

Heres a good link about why Harry Potter is biblicaly unaceptable:
Is the “Harry Potter…” series truly harmless? • ChristianAnswers.Net

If you don't feel like reading its heres a section I cut out. If you can disagree with this then I dont' know what to say:

But in the Potter series, the line is not so clear. The “good” guys practice “white magic”, while the bad guys practice the “Dark Arts”. Readers become fascinated with the magic used (explained in remarkable detail). Yet God is clear in Scripture that any practice of magic is an “abomination” to him. God doesn’t distinguish between “white” and “dark” magic since they both originate from the same source.

Deut. 18:10-14:
“There shall not be found among you anyone who …practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you. You shall be blameless before the LORD your God. For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the LORD your God has not appointed such for you.”

Furthermore, if one were to use the reasoning that such objectionable material can be included in fantasy literature, then “that line of reasoning would tell you that you could include in fantasy any violence, inappropriate contentography, whatever you wanted, and still defend those books by that very same statement.”

The problem is, witchcraft is not fantasy; it is a sinful reality in our world.
“J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter series, has gone through an awful lot of research. She is very accurate (otherwise we would have witches all over the country and the world saying ‘this is not a true representation of our religion.’) This is a true representation of witchcraft, and the black arts, and black magic. And yet we have people that say this is merely fantasy and harmless reading for our children. Actually, what makes this more dangerous is that it is couched in fantasy language, and children’s literature, and made to be humorous, and beautifully written and extremely provocative reading. and it just opens up children to want to have the next one. This is what is so harmful.” [12]
Harry Potter: Witchcraft Repackaged studies elements of Rowlings’s imagery and writings, including the use of the “Potter” name in Pagan religion , shapechanging , meditation, human sacrifice, feminine power, Wicca (the religion of witchcraft) , the tools, spells and curses used in witchcraft , Christian youth and their involvement, communicating with the spirit world, reincarnation, situational ethics in witchcraft, the lightning bolt as a power symbol, broomsticks and witches’ hats as phallic symbols, dabbling in divination and sorcery, recruitment, teaching children dark arts, Scholastic Inc.’s involvement, and more.

With that said I will bring up one last thing. I have this verse written down for a reason:
Matthew 7:21:
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Now apply that verse to watch you just read about Harry Potter and ask yourself "Am I one of those who God will say he never knew me?". Heck this is why I use the verse in my own life and think about it deeply. I ask "Could I be one of those? If so what can I do to change something in my life!".

I have met people who have said that verse does not apply to them, but to me thats being prideful (which is also a sin). By saying it doesn't apply to you then you are saying you are a perfect christian that does not need to change. And we all know Jesus was the only perfect human (and ever will be) that lived on this planet.

Now I already now some will think I am judging them. But I am not, I am trying to help my fellow christians out! Its called reproving. And before someone claims I am judgemental please read my topic here about the diffrence between judgemental and reproving:
http://www.christianforums.com/t7634472/

Feel free to discuss anything I said although I cannot promise I will reply because the proof is sitting in my post. And lets try to not attack each other. Just like you, I am not perfect either. Nor do I claim to be by posting this.

mindfulness

Fear the Reaper - He's comin' for You.
Feb 5, 2012
Hell, seventh level
✟1,114.00
Faith
Calvinist
Yes, because it's crap. Not because the content is offensive or it bothers God, but simply because it's Harry Potter and Harry Potter is lame and for children. Otherwise, it doesn't matter unless you have a very weak conscience crafted by men and their doctrines.

Upvote 0

Prayer Circle

Feb 4, 2012
OK, Why am I in this handbasket?
✟1,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think it's unacceptable.
I watched the first movie because of the preview that included Owls in a library. It was an intriguing scene and since I'd never read the book series, I thought to check it out for all the hype it was getting.

I watched another on the sequels, can't remember which one it was, because my favorite actor Gary Oldman was to have a part that was more than what was simply his image previously.
After that, I had had my fill.
However, the story of how the author of the series came from dire straights unto her present status is a true blessing for her and her children. So that creative writing inspiration that she received was a glorious gift, no matter what one thinks of the movies Hollywood chose to craft in their own way after.

Upvote 0

Ant1986

Jan 20, 2012
London
✟7,692.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find it funny that people only apply this standard to Harry Potter and not to films like Star Wars which is heavily influenced by Hinduism.

If you want to watch it, watch it. If you don't then don't. I can't stand people attempting guilt trip people because they watched a fictional film.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I find it funny that people only apply this standard to Harry Potter and not to films like Star Wars which is heavily influenced by Hinduism.

If you want to watch it, watch it. If you don't then don't. I can't stand people attempting guilt trip people because they watched a fictional film.

I've seen an interesting analysis of Harry Potter suggesting that it's based on Christian traditions. Star Wars was intended to be kind of generic humanity, but I agree that it comes out looking more like Eastern religion.

It's pretty clear that the basic ideas of what is right and wrong in Harry Potter are consistent with Christianity. The Harry Potter version of witchcraft is pretty explicitly based on renaissance alchemy and related ideas. These ideas were held by most of the renaissance scientists. The alchemists were Christians, and would have greatly resented being confused with witches.

It's an interesting question why Harry Potter didn't use more alchemical terminology and less terminology that could be confused with witchcraft, though there's a fair amount of alchemy as is. I assume she thought that the kind of fictional witchcraft she used would be more familiar to audiences and thus work better. Of course if you know about it, the renaissance background is quite clear. Starting with the philosopher's stone and the costumes. I assume people know that the original title of the 1st book was Harry Potter and the Philospher's stone. It was changed to the Sorcerer's stone for American audiences because it was assumed that we were too stupid to recognize the reference.

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I see no issue with it. It is fiction and as long as it is explained that this is a fairy tale and is not what we believe then it is fine. I have read all the books and have watched the movies and they are great writing the literature is great. I would just be happy my child is reading lol since most kids don't these days. I don't know a single person who read those books and thought afterwards they could be a wizard that is just insane. Everyone who reads them who is normal knows it is just a fiction book with a great story line.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So then everyone believes its ok to watch "fiction" about withcraft? Then you say its not real too.

Despite the fact the bible points out we should have nothing to do with witchcraft and that it is very real. So in the case we can watch anything with gore, swearing, violence, child abuse, rape...etc as long as its "fiction"? I didn't realize God added this new verse in the bible:
"You shall not partake in witchcraft of any sort.....unless its fictional." >.>

Is witchcraft any less evil just because its in a fictional movie? I have to admit when I first came to this forum I thought I was maybe to blind or bad as a christian, but after seeing many people post now it seems I don't have as many issues as I thought. Which is probably why when I prayed about it I felt lead by God to help people here. In some ways I want to avoid this forum because I can see there are many wolves in sheeps clothing. But none the less I shall stay because I was told to by God.

Did anyone even read that article I posted? Or is everyone just thinking they know better and not reading it. The article takes a direct verse from the bible that says we should not have anything to do with witchcraft....in any way. By seeing the movie your saying you support witchcraft. You wouldn't support a raunchy nearly NC-17 rated movie becaues you know its bad, but for some reason this is diffrent.

This reminds me of alot of topics on here where christian try to "reason" why its ok to do something that the bible clearly states you should not. Are you running your life according to Gods rules or your own? I may not be perfect but if someone posted a verse that shown what I was doing was wrong, I'd listen and accept it. Not ignore it because that means I am telling God "Sorry God, but I know whats right more then you do!". >.<

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it's okay to watch. J.K Rowling did put Christian themes into the story. Love is a big theme. It doesn't encourage you to practice sorcery. It's about fighting temptations and overcoming trials using good powers.

Unless your kids worship HP more than Jesus, I'd say it's good to just enjoy. It's nothing to get too serious over.

Upvote 0

mindfulness

Feb 5, 2012
Hell, seventh level
✟1,114.00
Faith
Calvinist
So then everyone believes its ok to watch "fiction" about withcraft? Then you say its not real too.

Despite the fact the bible points out we should have nothing to do with witchcraft and that it is very real. So in the case we can watch anything with gore, swearing, violence, child abuse, rape...etc as long as its "fiction"? I didn't realize God added this new verse in the bible:
"You shall not partake in witchcraft of any sort.....unless its fictional." >.>

Is witchcraft any less evil just because its in a fictional movie? I have to admit when I first came to this forum I thought I was maybe to blind or bad as a christian, but after seeing many people post now it seems I don't have as many issues as I thought. Which is probably why when I prayed about it I felt lead by God to help people here. In some ways I want to avoid this forum because I can see there are many wolves in sheeps clothing. But none the less I shall stay because I was told to by God.

Did anyone even read that article I posted? Or is everyone just thinking they know better and not reading it. The article takes a direct verse from the bible that says we should not have anything to do with witchcraft....in any way. By seeing the movie your saying you support witchcraft. You wouldn't support a raunchy nearly NC-17 rated movie becaues you know its bad, but for some reason this is diffrent.

This reminds me of alot of topics on here where christian try to "reason" why its ok to do something that the bible clearly states you should not. Are you running your life according to Gods rules or your own? I may not be perfect but if someone posted a verse that shown what I was doing was wrong, I'd listen and accept it. Not ignore it because that means I am telling God "Sorry God, but I know whats right more then you do!". >.<

This topic inspires me to ask about video games. Stand by for new topic...

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm split on the christian value thing. There is a christian movie review site out there and they do movie review. No matter how terrible the movie they try to find "biblical" values in it. Although they usually don't reccomend seeing it. You can find biblical balues in lots of bad things. Doens't mean its safe to watch, play...etc. I've heard many reasons why its ok to watch the movie. Such as what you said about using the powers for good. But that is a statement that cancels its self out. How can witchcraft be used for good? It comes from the devil and only has one purpose.

Lets ask a better question, since people are ignoring bible verses that talk about this. What would Jesus do? If you even have to think about that for a second then it means your trying to rationilze a answer to continue in sin. If you honestly think Jesus would watch Harry Potter then we have two diffrent bibles abotu Jesus.

As always I never have an issue admitting my past sins. For example I loved video games. But I had made it my idol. But like most ar doing here I ignored what people said was wrong about games because I knew what was right and wrong and no on could tell me otherwise. Then after having a friend talk to me for weeks on end about where I was as a christian. I started looking at my life in very aspect. That thought kept entering my mind "What would Jesus do?". Would he play this game or that? I ended up cutting back my gaming habit to almost nothing. I got rid of ANY games that I know GOd would not play. Anything that had anything close to evil in it.

Then I started going through my movies, then my posters then my books...etc. And after I got rid of all that bad stuff in my life I felt Gods blessings and grace on me. It literally felt like I a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I felt like a new person with a new attitude. Sadly most never really notice they are messing up badly as a christian. They just kind of stick to the basics like "Sex is bad before marraige" or "Abortion is bad". But they never go past the surface the christianity. Again I point out the day of judgement many will cry for the Lord, but he will say he does not know you.

I reccomend people instead of focusing on other things in life, take a week of rest or just a day and focus on your life. Read your bible. Pray and fast. Tell someone like a pastor some of the things you do and see what he says. See what God says. Because I know where most of you are at right now because I was there too. Your in your comfort zone as a christian. You don't want to be told your messing up, as christians God is right, we tend to have to much pride. We want to think were living the just like Jesus. For some its painful just to admit maybe they need to work on their lives.

I know many comments from this post forward (and I guarentee they will be posted) will say I am wrong in what I am saying. I don't know you. I've not been where you are. I'm being judgemental....etc. Because those are the comments I made to posts like this years ago when I was not living as good as I should have. I can take those comments, its ok. I forgive you for disliking what I am saying. I pray for all of you and pray that one day you will look back on this and say "What was I thinking saying he was wrong. He was just trying to help!".

And its true. I don't hate you. I don't dislike you. I am not doing this to try to hurt you or pretened I am better then you. I am doing this because I love you as my brothers and sister in the Lord and I want to help you just as I was helped. Thats my motive. And I can say all this because I know God sees my heart as a type. He can see my concern. So while I have done nothing wrong I will apologize anyways to anyone who thinks less of me.

This is what I found when I looked up an article about confronting someone about what they are doing:
Have you ever corrected someone, only to be attacked for it? Were there any signs in their life in the first place that may have told you that they were not actually a teachable disciple of Jesus Christ?

Have you responded badly to someone’s correction of something that you did wrong? Are you a true and teachable disciple of Jesus Christ?

As you can see I am the person in the top statement. Many of you are the ones in the bottom statement. If you care to read the article do so here:
Confronting Sin in Yourself: Accepting Correction « Daily Discernment

I shall now stop talking because this reponse is surley like 100 pages long. I've spoken what I had to say and now its up to God to take care of the rest. Peace my brothers and sister. :)

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
^

Whatever we do, we should do for Jesus.

So when we watch HP, we should thank the Lord for the source of entertainment, right?

However, I was feeling still iffy after I wrote my last post, and after I read yours, I did a bit of research on what other Christians thought about HP.

The truth is, C.S Lewis also wrote about Narnia and magic, although the good power source came from the Lion who represented Jesus, whereas in HP, no one really knows where the source of power came from.

I don't know much about Harry Potter because I only read bits of the series and watched some of the movie series.

But I have to say that Christians shouldn't celebrate Halloween either because it lets the kids indulge in mindless rituals of collecting candies and dressing up as zombies or witches, or whatever roles or monsters are out there. Halloween doesn't let Jesus into the kid's hearts. Free candies in their stomach, however...

So would Harry Potter remind kids of Jesus? Would the kids just see HP as HP and not much Christian themes in it? JK Rowling did state that she did put Christian themes in her book, but she also put some pagan themes in it, no doubt.

However, an article that I found did mention that Daniel also read pagan books but didn't defile himself with it. He let the Lord guide him. But I'm pretty sure that Daniel had 'no choice,' because the land he lived on was ruled by pagans, so he was asking for the Lord's wisdom.

I would have to say that when your kids become more mature, they will start exploring more about books and stuff out there in the world. HP will definitely be one of them, so keep them close to Jesus. It's like talking to them about drugs or sex. You have to take lots of precautions about them. Something so 'simple' can easily be overlooked and potentially become threatening.

My friends really love HP, and they're not really Christian. The definitely worship it a lot because they post pictures of it around on the internet and adore it like crazy. That's where the problem begins. If HP takes over your heart instead of Jesus and the goodness of the Lord...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindfulness

Feb 5, 2012
Hell, seventh level
✟1,114.00
Faith
Calvinist
Exactly how much money, paypaled directly, would inspire you to spare us another topic about video games?

Ooh, paypal... lol That's a sweet offer... I'm cheap today, how about fifty yen? :D

Has gaming been a big problem around here?

Upvote 0

chaoticfirefly

reform jew
May 20, 2011
Visit site
✟109,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The author, J.K Rowling is a Christian and she said, at one time, "To understand Harry Potter, you must understand my religion."

But, anyways, I'm biased because I grew up with Harry Potter, so I find it acceptable because it's not about the magic, it's about the story Rowling tells, the message that lies with it.

Upvote 0

mindfulness

Feb 5, 2012
Hell, seventh level
✟1,114.00
Faith
Calvinist
Oh my, yes. Anything that promotes discussion that centers around moderate to heavy self flagellation is big around here.

Oh. I just meant because of the magic thing. Most games involve heavy occult themes, so it is pertinent to the discussion here about "witchcraft" or whatever. I wouldn't do it, I'm not trying to upset anyone here. :)

Upvote 0