Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Again, we cannot ignore the harm by it that is isn't seen yet. And, we DO have factual statements made by pagans themselves as to the heavy traffic that HP has brought.
This statement is very similar to Celtics about her kids, "since my kids didn't get preoccupied with paganism, then it isn't wrong". That's not a litmus test for what is evil.
I can lift up anything in the bible that God forbids or warns us about, and if ONE person isn't utterly destroyed by it, then can we say it's not harmful or God was wrong in what He warned us to stay away from becuz it didn't personally ruin ME or some people I know?

That's not how we're to live.

K, but we've given the quoted statement BY a pagan administrator that proves the fact that there IS a high insurgence of interest in witchcraft/paganism by HP. It IS claimed. That hasn't seemed to change anyone's mind so far...

Again, "only if it harms some" (and it indeed HAS!) seems to be what's relevant to how we observe evil today. Relativism. Yes, inappropriate content is bad for him... but it didn't make ME a sex addict, so it's ok for ME.
While they're blind to all the ways it damages a person & opens them up to demonic attack in other ways.
We cannot SEE into the spirit realms to know what we've opened up to being attacked spiritually.
I'm talking about the subtle stuff & how we start losing interest in intimacy with God, stop praying as much (or altogether), stop reading our bible, start entertaining wrong thoughts that cause us to slowly drift away from our original beliefs on things of God, etc etc.

THAT is what I'm talking about. That stuff we don't see being done. But the occult material we have or read or watch CAN open us up to that directly.

Again, if people don't see a big Red Satan literally poking them w/ a pitchfork, they think nothing's wrong with what they dabble in. & the reason I know this is becuz that's exactly how I got sucked into spiritual oppression & rebellion to God. That's how it works.
I couldn't see it or feel it, it was just slowly changing me without me even being aware until it finally hit the fan.

We need to obey God despite what we visibly see or feel.

Again, "I have to feel something"... the "satanic input" is IN the material itself - why do Christians have it? Yet you have to "feel" it's a problem to BE a problem? :scratch:
:sigh:

I have told her about them, but her ministry has been in missions and she travels to other countries with missions groups. Her and I did hang out together on another chat ministry for about a month when there was some heavy Satanic stuff going on there against the Christians.
Where GOD IS, Satan will be at work. Always.

She also believes these forums are very dangerous (namely to new believers & the naive) and really doesn't want a ministry or time spent in forums.
I agree with her 500%.

Amen, sister!

Upvote 0

Danyc

Nov 2, 2007
✟9,970.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Is their a particular reason you have "come to know her"?
the books are fruitless, and imitative of sin. Yet you have invested enough time in them, that you feel you know the author?
Fruitless? Many of my notions towards morality have been influenced and bolstered by the lessons in those 7 books. I have come to know her because an author's self comes through in their writing, their opinions influence their work. I frequent her website, know and read the interviews she has with people about the books and about her personal life. I've grown up being familiar with thse books and what and how she says things. I think I have a little understanding of her views by now. I'm am a little bit offended at your remarks, because the books are most definitely NOT 'fruitless'.

Have you ever felt that close to the author of the Scriptures?
How can I? It's impossible to know those authors closely. I don't know them, haven't read anything they said outside the Bible. Everything they write is basically like recording history: 'Then Jesus did such and such, then this happened, then this and then that'. Whenever they do talk about themselves, it's always in glory of God, it's not about themselves. I don't know how you could possibly ask me if I could feel 'close' to an author of the Scriptures.

No I don't support them, they along with Chronicles of narnia, as well as Lord of the rings are all derivative, and inspired from pagan beliefs, and lore, They like harry potter have served to acclimate all people into a familiarity and comfort with the occult rather than an aversion to it.
Truth be told, almost EVERYTHING even remotely interesting anymore is inspired by pagan beliefs and lore. If we absolutely rejected anything and everything from the cultures of the world, we would live in a very humdrum world indeed.

If you are exposed to the occult on a daily basis, even if its a fictional derivative of it, it Lulls you into a sense of familiarity , and with familiarity comes friendship, and the friendship with the world, and its ways is called enmity with God.
I guess it doesn't, seeing as I still read HP on a regular basis and I still don't even hardly believe in magic and wizards or any of that. I guess I'm just lucky, right?

911 is another good example of a false sense of comfort, The US Government had foreknowledge of the desire of the terrorist to perform the attacks long before they actually happened, combined with previous attacks, as well as the constant rhetoric (which is still occurring to this day) They did not at the time discern it for the threat it ended up being.
This is foolish. Are you saying that the US Government should have somehow known that people were going to hijack a plane and crash it into the towers that day? How could they possibly know? And even if they did think it might happen, what would they do, shut down the Towers for 10 years until the conflict is resolved? Shut down the Pentagon until the threat is over? Won't ever happen.

Harry potter is a forerunner of other occult , and frankly satanic sources of entertainment.
Hollywood can, does, and will tap any and every source it can to achieve revenue, many say harry potter is inaccurate, I say I guarantee you all that someone is seeking to bring real, and verifiable occult to the big screen now, I only wonder what your responses to it will be once it does occur.

Harry Potter is nothing compared to the satanically inspired horror movies that come out every year and have been coming out for decades.

I would also love everybody in this thread to actually READ THE BOOKS. You already know the evils, as you claim, so it obviously wont matter if you read them. You will understand the lessons it has to teach, the good in it, it is truly an amazing book, it is easily a defining span of time in my childhood.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
Fruitless? Many of my notions towards morality have been influenced and bolstered by the lessons in those 7 books. I have come to know her because an author's self comes through in their writing, their opinions influence their work. I frequent her website, know and read the interviews she has with people about the books and about her personal life. I've grown up being familiar with thse books and what and how she says things. I think I have a little understanding of her views by now. I'm am a little bit offended at your remarks, because the books are most definitely NOT 'fruitless'.

So you admit the books influence you. But you don't think they can influence little children? Or that they will only influence people for the good? The aspect of witchcraft and communing with the dead, these ideas won't influence or effect little children? But the other aspects you've mentioned will?

Eh?

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
So you admit the books influence you. But you don't think they can influence little children? Or that they will only influence people for the good? The aspect of witchcraft and communing with the dead, these ideas won't influence or effect little children? But the other aspects you've mentioned will?

Eh?
Wow, JWNEWMAN, you're something else. It's pretty clear that you aren't involved in any of these arguments for the sake of honest debate. You aren't engaged in anything but twisting people's words. Intellectual honesty is appreciated here, and you aren't doing an exceptional job of displaying it. Really, if this is the sort of behavior you're going to exhibit, take it elsewhere.

Hint: when you start using phrases like "So you admit," when you're well aware that the person didn't admit to anything, you're screwing around.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
Wow, JWNEWMAN, you're something else. It's pretty clear that you aren't involved in any of these arguments for the sake of honest debate. You aren't engaged in anything but twisting people's words. Intellectual honesty is appreciated here, and you aren't doing an exceptional job of displaying it. Really, if this is the sort of behavior you're going to exhibit, take it elsewhere.

Hint: when you start using phrases like "So you admit," when you're well aware that the person didn't admit to anything, you're screwing around.
If you've been listening to this debate the side that supports HP as a good read for Christian children claim it's harmless. Yet they make a point of saying it does good. So the evil depicted is harmless but the good depicted is not without effect?

That appears to be a double standard to me.

As to the reason I'm in this debate, I'm concerned about the attitude regarding the dangers of the occult and sin in general that some of us have. Hopefully, debates like this will help to curb that trend.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian

It appears to me by your reply you're simply attacking me because you don't like me. You don't think that is transparent?

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
The Harry Potter series are all about a young lad, BORN WITH magical powers, who goes to a school to learn how to use his powers for GOOD, and his fight against an evil wizard.

So if Harry Potter is evil like people say, does that make Voldemort the good guy? :scratch:

mistake....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Danyc

Nov 2, 2007
✟9,970.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single

Eh?
I'm getting tired of your quickness to berate me without completely understanding the meaning and context of my posts.

Which do you think will influence me? Moral lessons of goodness, friendship, loyalty? Or the very unbelievable practices of young wizards in a fictional world? Noting that, if I tried them or anything like them, they would not work? I wasn't stupid as a child, sorry.

As you guys haven't read the books, here's an excellent summary of the themes in the first Harry Potter book, straight from SparkNotes Study Guide:
The Value of Humility

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone emphasizes the virtue of humility by showcasing the extraordinary modesty of its hero and by making this modesty an important part of Harry’s success in obtaining the Sorcerer’s Stone. Harry’s humility is no doubt ingrained in him during his ten miserable years of neglect and cruelty with the Dursleys. But Harry does not stop being humble when he gains fame, wealth, and popularity at Hogwarts. His reaction to the discovery that everyone seems to know his name on the train to Hogwarts does not make him primp and pose, but rather only makes him hope that he can manage to live up to his reputation. In this respect, he contrasts sharply with Draco Malfoy, who prides himself on his family reputation and downplays achievement.

Similarly, when it becomes apparent that Harry has an astounding gift for Quidditch, his reaction is not to glory in his superstar abilities, but rather to practice more industriously than before. When Harry breaks Quidditch records by catching the Golden Snitch in the first five minutes of the game, he does not even pause to appreciate the applause of the crowd, but rushes off. Harry’s refusal to glorify himself is instrumental in getting the stone because he differs from wicked wizards like Quirrell in that he desires only to find the Stone for the common good, not to use it to acquire personal fame or fortune. If Harry were less humble, he would be unable to seize the stone. He is the extreme opposite of Voldemort, who strives only to achieve his own selfish goals.

The Occasional Necessity of Rebellion

Hogwarts is a well-run institution, with clearly spelled out rules that are strictly enforced. Midlevel teachers and school administrators like Professor McGonagall constantly police students for violations, and the rules are taken seriously. Even at the highest level of the Hogwarts administration, there is a clear respect for the rules. Dumbledore is a stern taskmaster. He makes a very gentle and warm welcome speech to the first-year students, but he throws in a few menacing reminders about the prohibition of visits to the Forbidden Forest and the third-floor corridor. None of these Hogwarts rules ever seems arbitrary or unfair. On the contrary, we generally approve of them, feeling that in a world imperiled by misused magic, strict control over student behavior is necessary.

Even so, it soon becomes clear that Harry is unable to abide perfectly by the rules. He enters the third-floor corridor in the full knowledge that it is forbidden territory, and he dons the invisibility cloak to inspect the restricted-books section of the library. After the flying instructor has clearly prohibited broomstick flying until she returns, Harry does not hesitate to take off after Malfoy to retrieve Neville’s stolen toy. And Harry approves of infractions of the rules by others as well. When Hagrid reveals that he is engaged in an illegal dragon-rearing endeavor, Harry not only fails to report Hagrid to the authorities, but actually helps Hagrid with the dragon.
Harry’s occasional rebellions against the rules are not vices or failings. Rather, they enhance his heroism because they show that he is able to think for himself and make his own judgments. The contrast to Harry in this respect is the perfectionist Hermione, who never breaks a rule at the beginning and who is thus annoying to both Harry and us. When she eventually lies to a teacher, showing that she too can transcend the rules, Hermione becomes Harry’s friend. One of the main lessons of the story is that while rules are good and necessary, sometimes it is necessary to question and even break them for the right reasons.

The Dangers of Desire

As the pivotal importance of the desire-reflecting Mirror of Erised reveals, learning what to want is an important part of one’s development. Excessive desire is condemned from the story’s beginning, as the spoiled Dudley’s outrageous demands for multiple television sets appear foolish and obnoxious. The same type of greed appears later in a much more evil form in the power-hungry desires of Voldemort, who pursues the Sorcerer’s Stone’s promise of unlimited wealth and life. While Voldemort and Dudley are obviously different in other respects, they share an uncontrollable desire that repels Harry and makes him the enemy of both of them. Desire is not necessarily wrong or bad, as Dumbledore explains to Harry before the Mirror of Erised—Harry’s desire to see his parents alive is touching and noble. But overblown desire is dangerous in that it can make people lose perspective on life, which is why Dumbledore advises Harry not to seek out the mirror again. Dumbledore himself illustrates the power and grandeur of one who has renounced desires almost completely when he says that all he wants is a pair of warm socks. This restraint is the model for Harry’s own development in the story.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
I'm getting tired of your quickness to berate me without completely understanding the meaning and context of my posts.

I'm not berating you. I'm pointing out that no one seems to really want to address these issues directly.

Witchcraft is Anti-Christ. If a 5, 8, 10, 12 year old child is exposed to Witchcraft and it is depicted as a good thing in a book and or movies as popular as HP series it will likely have an influential effect on these children. Causing curiosity and desire to explore the craft depicted in the books/movies.

The above is an obvious truth. It's very interesting how aggressively and passionately these books and movies are being defended by people who claim Christ is first in their lives.

I don't think the two are compatible.

Upvote 0

Danyc

Nov 2, 2007
✟9,970.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not berating you. I'm pointing out that no one seems to really want to address these issues directly.

Witchcraft is Anti-Christ. If a 5, 8, 10, 12 year old child is exposed to Witchcraft and it is depicted as a good thing in a book and or movies as popular as HP series it will likely have an influential effect on these children. Causing curiosity and desire to explore the craft depicted in the books/movies.

The above is an obvious truth. It's very interesting how aggressively and passionately these books and movies are being defended by people who claim Christ is first in their lives.

I don't think the two are compatible.

How is it depicted as a good thing or a bad thing? It is simply depicted.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.