Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It contains good and helpful information. However, it is a lot like Wikipedia. While it contains useful information, the articles are neither scholarly nor peer-reviewed. This is not to say they are wrong, but do not ever cite it as a scholarly source, because it is not. The bibliographies, although many times shallow, can be helpful. Definitely use it if you want to get a flyover of a certain subject, but do not expect it to be thorough or scholarly.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I've found it helpful on many occasions, but you should never just take their word for it, or any website's word for it.

They often provide a lot of Bible passages as back up, which is good. (Though some websites will quote lots of verses and twist the passages, so you have to be wary! But I haven't seen gotquestions doing that yet)

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its reliable about 80-85% of the time, but just about all their article is what theology school teaches.

On The main topics of controversy or division like the Sabbath, Feast Days, The Law, Dietary Laws, etc, all of their articles are the recycled teachings you see from theology school with the use of a bunch of scriptures that are cherry picked out taken out of context.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Its reliable about 80-85% of the time, but just about all their article is what theology school teaches.

On The main topics of controversy or division like the Sabbath, Feast Days, The Law, Dietary Laws, etc, all of their articles are the recycled teachings you see from theology school with the use of a bunch of scriptures that are cherry picked out taken out of context.
Well most of us haven't gone to theology school, so that could be a good thing? lol

Reactions: SAAN
Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And "theology school" (which we grownups call seminary) is bad because...?

Do you have evidence that they take verses out of context?

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well most of us haven't gone to theology school, so that could be a good thing? lol

About thirty years ago, I was a social worker in some of the poorest parts of Appalachia. Some of the Godliest pastors and preachers I knew then had no formal training and some barely even finished eighth grade. But they were taken under the wing of Godly men and taught. So, clearly, seminary is not a requirement.

However, having attended SBTS I have to be honest and say that it prepared me both in knowledge of the scriptures and fitness for ministry I don't believe I would have learned on my own. I know men who have gone to Westminster and Masters who say the same thing.

I taught at a small Bible college in Maryland for several years and we're currently in the process of establishing a similar school here

So I'm always skeptical of people who ridicule "theology school".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And "theology school" (which we grownups call seminary) is bad because...?

Do you have evidence that they take verses out of context?

Yes , because all you have to do is read the bible for yourself in order without cherry picking and you will see many teaching in modern Christian now a days is completely out of context.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes , because all you have to do is read the bible for yourself in order without cherry picking and you will see many teaching in modern Christian now a days is completely out of context.

That's not evidence That's just another evidence-less claim

Upvote 0

sculleywr

Orthodox Colitis Survivor
Jul 23, 2011
Starke, FL
✟22,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
That's just restating the claim. I could specifically give instances showing them cherry-picking, but it's a claim you made, not me

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not evidence That's just another evidence-less claim
I really am not about to search through all my previous posts for that. I say this because I used to go to them all the time on topics, until I decided to read the bible from front to back to verify for myself and realize how they are in error on some topics.

But overall, it is still a very good website to me, and I do agree with it on a good 80-90% plus of its topics. I do think they are way off on topics regarding the Law, The Sabbath, Dietary Laws, and a few others, but still a pretty good site on the majority of topics that arise.

But if i get to in detail, all it will do is move this thread to the Sabbath and Law section.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I used to refer to it as a new christian. It then read the whole bible through myself and didnt need to use it anymore. I think its fallible. It does have some bias.

I once submitted a question and they were very wishy washy with their answers. Giving some scripture but ignoring others.

However if it gets people into reading the Bible then thats a good thing.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its call maturity and study for your own approval.

2 Timothy 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Actually, maturity says just the opposite: that in order to study for understanding means that there may be resources by more mature and knowledgeable people who can help you to learn and understand.

"I can do it myself!" is the battle cry of a five year old who doesn't want daddy holding the bike while he peddles.

Likewise, "study" means relying on a host of resources.

Upvote 0