• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is good health an obligation?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do we as Christians or as citizens have a duty to care for our health? It has been said that "the health of the people is the strength of the nation". Are we 'strong' as a nation regarding health? Every enterprise except the medical industry depends upon the health of the people (and even that is in jeopardy because of the breakdown of the health of its workers), which begs the question regarding the current Covid caused crisis and the willingness of people to get vaccinated and engage in other reasonable behaviors.

The nation went into this pandemic in poor health, thus the many deaths and other effects of the infections. Will we come out of it with some determination to improve our health in the future?

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Do we as Christians or as citizens have a duty to care for our health? It has been said that "the health of the people is the strength of the nation". Are we 'strong' as a nation regarding health? Every enterprise except the medical industry depends upon the health of the people (and even that is in jeopardy because of the breakdown of the health of its workers), which begs the question regarding the current Covid caused crisis and the willingness of people to get vaccinated and engage in other reasonable behaviors.

The nation went into this pandemic in poor health, thus the many deaths and other effects of the infections. Will we come out of it with some determination to improve our health in the future?

The body is a gift from God and to be good stewards of what we are given applies not only to things external to us but also to ourselves, as we have been given existence, so caring for our health is an obligation on us.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Considering gluttony is a sin, and what 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says, I'd say yes, we do have a responsibility to God for taking care of the gift He has given us with our bodies.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟151,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If it is an obligation, I can't say, it may just be culling the herd.
I picked these sources so those who worship at the throne of the lamestream media would have less cause to argue/dismiss the source. CDC and ABC
Existing conditions which exacerbate kung flu effects.
CDC COVID-19 and Your Health
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released new data last week that shows the majority of people who have died from COVID-19 had pre-existing medical conditions.

Only 6% of deaths have only COVID-19 listed in the death report, according to the CDC.

"For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned," the report said. "For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death."
CDC data shows majority of people who died from COVID-19 had pre-existing conditions - ABC17NEWS

The overwhelming majority of adults hospitalized in the United States after being infected with the coronavirus suffered from one or more pre-existing conditions, a new study shows, with more than 99% of COVID patients who died having at least one pre-existing condition. CDC study: More than 99% of COVID victims had preexisting conditions

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do we as Christians or as citizens have a duty to care for our health?

I believe God cares just as much about our bodies as He does about our soul.....and as Christians we are told that, "Whether ye eat or drink or whatsoever ye do, do ALL to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31. So yes, if we claim to be Christians, we have a DUTY to take care of our health.

No, I don't believe anything will change. Sadly, we've become a very lazy Nation. It takes WORK to be healthy. The vast majority of people don't exercise and they have almost ZERO self-control....so I don't believe there will be any improvement in the health of our Nation.

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I definitely believe God wants us to be good stewards of our body we were blessed with. I'm not sure if it's an obligation though. Not taking care of your health won't keep you out of heaven. It will make your life harder/more difficult but won't bar you from heaven.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It depends on what level one is taking about, which can go anywhere from someone who's athletic, has an excellent diet and vitals etc. To someone who's in very bad shape, smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish, takes narcotics etc.

Some people who are thin and run a lot still end up needing quintuple bypass surgery, like David Letterman. And then there's people like me who are overweight, but have a very healthy cardiovascular system.

Upvote 0