Is going to church really necessary?

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why do many Christians feel a need to go to church? I understand some may enjoy going to church, but it seems if someone doesn't want to, they are looked on by others as not real Christians. Is there some kind of a requirement to go to church in order to get to Heaven? Or is it enough to just love God in at home.

Ken

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament gives plenty of evidence about how the early Christians fellowshipped, observed the Lord's Supper, were instructed, how the congregation when assembled was to function, and more in this category. Therefore, we who believe the Bible to be God's word are hard pressed to justify simply absenting ourselves from all of that!

This isn't to say that missing worship sometimes or not being active in the optional aspects of church membership, or other of those kinds of things is wrong, but your post appeared to be about people who consider themselves to be Christian but want none of it.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. I learned more biblically in just a few years on my own in the Bible than I did in the many years in church. Fellowship is one thing but if you're not being fed, or are only being fed milk (salvation issues, etc) than it becomes a problem. One or two verses surrounded by one's own personal written sermon is not being fed imo when it comes to the Bible.
We need to be fed God's entire word, not man's and we need to get into the meat of God's word as Paul taught.

If you are being fed properly and can have fellowship with like minded people, obviously that's a good thing but I don't think it's a salvation issue.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do many Christians feel a need to go to church?
There is an experience that is peculiar to being a Born-Again Christian.
Jesus said,
If you love Me, keep My commandments.
And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper,
that He may abide with you forever—
the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive,
because it neither sees Him nor knows Him;
but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
" John 14:15-17 NKJV

and,
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name,
He will teach you all things,*
and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
" John 14:26 NKJV

It is like the difference between a computer that is on-line vs. one that is not. The latter has no clue and the former cannot explain the experience in theoretical terms. It is a different paradigm.

*Not the least of which is the importance of Church.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Other than fellowship, the sacraments are done in community. In general, there's just no such thing as a "lone ranger" Christian. We are united to Christ, and in Christ to each other. Whether "church" as it's commonly done is what was initially intended is debatable, e.g. a house church can be a legitimate Christian community.

Even those who think of their Christianity as them sitting at home reading their bible are dependant on the community that recorded the scriptures, passing the faith down.

Or, think about it this way, that vast majority of instances of the word "you" in the NT is in the plural form, unless the statement is directed to a specific individual (This is my impression from years of translating). That doesn't always come across in English translations, which is misleading and can tend towards individualistic readings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is going to a physical church required? No.
Do you need to mimic the behaviors of the early church? No.
Does the bible support gathering and fellowshipping with believers? Yes.

For some that means a physical church, small assemblies/groups, study groups, house church, or informal meetings.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟96,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Ken-1122

Great question.

understand some may enjoy going to church, but it seems if someone doesn't want to, they are looked on by others as not real Christians.

I know exactly what you mean. I had to deal with this attitude for years or feeling like an outcast because I didn't go or belong to any particular church.

Here is the truth of the matter. No, you do not need to go to church to be a Christian or a "good Christian". Church can bring its benefits for sure, but it can also bring about many disadvantages to, as we are in dark times.

This matter is between you and the Creator. Walk in truth and and a clear conscience before Him. If that means not going to church, then so be it. I went on that path many years ago and my faith and walk have never been stronger.

Now, many Christians we react badly to such advice and some will pull out the old quote "not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some" from Hebrews 10:25 - as if it were a commandment. (It's funny how some Christian's suddenly seem to be become legalistic when it gets to this verse and yet skimp over the 10 commandments...) But don't be dissuaded to the path the Creator, Yahweh, has laid before you as you understand - despite the "wise advice" coming from the pews.

In short, you are neither really better off or worse off going to church in these times. it has it's pros (fellowship) and cons (theology/teachings). Caveat: This is of course a generalisation and not true of every church.

However, whatever you choose to do - stay in the Bible as much as possible. Let that be your final authority in teaching, understanding and truth.

Love & Shalom

Reactions: JulieB67
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. I learned more biblically in just a few years on my own in the Bible than I did in the many years in church. Fellowship is one thing but if you're not being fed, or are only being fed milk (salvation issues, etc) than it becomes a problem. One or two verses surrounded by one's own personal written sermon is not being fed imo when it comes to the Bible.
We need to be fed God's entire word, not man's and we need to get into the meat of God's word as Paul taught.

If you are being fed properly and can have fellowship with like minded people, obviously that's a good thing but I don't think it's a salvation issue.
It sounds like the problem is essentially one of finding the right congregation, not whether congregational worship and membership is important.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do many Christians feel a need to go to church? I understand some may enjoy going to church, but it seems if someone doesn't want to, they are looked on by others as not real Christians. Is there some kind of a requirement to go to church in order to get to Heaven? Or is it enough to just love God in at home.

Ken

Because of the pandemic; many churches here in the PNW; are only having online services. I do believe God understands.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LightBearer

Veteran
Aug 9, 2002
Visit site
✟19,072.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
And let us not forget this admonition and encouragement.

Hebrews 10:24, 25 "And let us consider* one another so as to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you see the day drawing near."

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Ken

It's enough to just love God at home. If that weren't the case, a lot of elderly people and others who can't get to church won't be in heaven. Of course, that's absurd.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Ken
Christians are commanded (He actually uses the word "commandment" even) to "love one another" --

John 15:12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

And it becomes very clear in the text this isn't an extra good or addition, such as doing some extra charity for instance would be, but instead a central commandment to us that is primary.

Fellowship can take many forms, though. Not only inside a church. But, there are certain additional things we are instructed to do which also are done in church services.

Basically, since we are to love one another, we need to gather in some ways to do that, regardless. But a church is only one way. It could be at a home, a back yard, over the phone, and so on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Fellowship can take many forms, though. Not only inside a church. But, there are certain additional things we are instructed to do which also are done in church services.

Basically, since we are to love one another, we need to gather in some ways to do that, regardless. But a church is only one way. It could be at a home, a back yard, over the phone, and so on.

That sounds good, and the principle is right, but the New Testament says much that rules out confining one's fellowship to the backyard BBQ, etc. while deliberately having nothing to do with the congregation and its functions (corporate worship, the sacraments, instruction in the faith, etc.).

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That sounds good, and the principle is right, but the New Testament says much that rules out confining one's fellowship to the backyard BBQ, etc. while deliberately having nothing to do with the congregation and its functions (corporate worship, the sacraments, instruction in the faith, etc.).
Yes, was that clear enough in my post? Maybe not. I'll edit just a tiny bit by italicizing that sentence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, was that clear enough in my post? Maybe not. I'll edit just a tiny bit by italicizing that sentence.
Now I see it better. When you wrote--

I guess I read that part in red as saying it's optional and that the backyard gathering would serve just as well, but you must have been speaking more generally about fellowship, adding to the opportunities without taking anything away from church attendance.

My apologies.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now I see it better. When you wrote--

I guess I read that part in red as saying it's optional and that the backyard gathering would serve just as well, but you must have been speaking more generally about fellowship, adding to the opportunities without taking anything away from church attendance.

My apologies.

Remembering of course that a 'church' doesn't have to look a certain way, as we know the early church gathered in homes, and many Christians on Earth still do. So, church can be anywhere, in a home, at a regular church building, in a park, in a circle around a campfire.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Remembering of course that a 'church' doesn't have to look a certain way, as we know the early church gathered in homes, and many Christians on Earth still do. So, church can be anywhere, in a home, at a regular church building, in a park, in a circle around a campfire.
Yes, I would have thought that in the first place if you hadn't gone on to add "backyard" and "over the phone." ;)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like the problem is essentially one of finding the right congregation

Probably. But I have yet to find a church that strictly teaches from God's word, chapter by chapter and verse by verse. As I mentioned there's usually a verse or two followed by a written sermon in there somewhere. One could spend a lifetime in certain churches and never move past the milk if that was the case. I think we could do without all of that and stick to just teaching God's word. Hopefully, Christians are studying on their own but I know many that feel as if they get enough through their churches and that's it.

Again, fellowship is great if you're truly getting fed. I don't have a problem with that.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably. But I have yet to find a church that strictly teaches from God's word, chapter by chapter and verse by verse. As I mentioned there's usually a verse or two followed by a written sermon in there somewhere. One could spend a lifetime in certain churches and never move past the milk if that was the case. I think we could do without all of that and stick to just teaching God's word. Hopefully, Christians are studying on their own but I know many that feel as if they get enough through their churches and that's it.

Again, fellowship is great if you're truly getting fed. I don't have a problem with that.
There are many that do though, and I know if you want more than just 1 or 2 or a few verses, you will definitely get more in a Lutheran church, every Sunday, for one.

Upvote 0