Is God's Word a progressive Word?

By_the_Book

Life lived by the Bible is life worth living.
Jul 25, 2022
St. Augustine
Visit site
✟30,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I see God's Word as spiritual. Meaning it is deep and full and even hidden. This is why we have the Spirit of Truth to lead and guide us into all truth.

God's Word does contain the law of double reference, meaning it can apply in more than one way to more than one group of people. God's Word is also filled with literal and spiritual meaning, or figurative meaning, and can be applied in more than one way. There is not simply one singular interpretation of a passage in Scripture, that's just not the way that God's Word works. It is alive and can take on different types of meaning but it never contradicts itself and it always supports itself.

All of that said, an individual must be extremely careful and not taking too many liberties with God's Word bringing it to a point of distortion.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Is God's Word a progressive Word?
Hello George, it seems to me that God's word is just like He is, "the same yesterday, today and forever" .. Hebrews 13:8.

However, though He and His word remain the same (~not~ progressive), the same cannot be said of us, His adopted children, who He sanctifies day by day to be less and less sinful and more and more Christlike, more and more like our unchanging Lord .. e.g. Philippians 1:6 :amen:

God bless you!!

--David

Psalms 119
89 Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven, standing firm and unchangeable.

Matthew 24
35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.

1 Peter 1 (Isaiah 40:6-8)
24 “ALL FLESH IS LIKE GRASS,
AND ALL ITS GLORY LIKE THE FLOWER OF GRASS.
THE GRASS WITHERS,
AND THE FLOWER FALLS OFF,
25 BUT THE WORD OF THE LORD ENDURES FOREVER.”
And this is the word which was preached to you.

Upvote 0

George Edward Banagis

Sep 22, 2022
Wilson
✟9,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello George, it seems to me that God's word is just like He is, "the same yesterday, today and forever" .. Hebrews 13:8.

However, though He and His word remain the same (~not~ progressive), the same cannot be said of us, His adopted children, who He sanctifies day by day to be less and less sinful and more and more Christlike, more and more like our unchanging Lord .. e.g. Philippians 1:6 :amen:

God bless you!!

--David

Psalms 119
89 Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven, standing firm and unchangeable.

Matthew 24
35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.

1 Peter 1 (Isaiah 40:6-8)
24 “ALL FLESH IS LIKE GRASS,
AND ALL ITS GLORY LIKE THE FLOWER OF GRASS.
THE GRASS WITHERS,
AND THE FLOWER FALLS OFF,
25 BUT THE WORD OF THE LORD ENDURES FOREVER.”
And this is the word which was preached to you.

I disagree. Like the faith of a mustard seed. The only faith a mustard seed can have is to grow. As we mature in God He reveals deeper mystery's, the hidden manna. The new wine (revelation) is better than the old). The Bible is pregnant with such hidden morsels. The Children of Israel of Israel gathered fresh new manna (food from God) (God's Word) daily. Yesterdays manna stinks.

Upvote 0

George Edward Banagis

Sep 22, 2022
Wilson
✟9,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God's Word does contain the law of double reference, meaning it can apply in more than one way to more than one group of people. God's Word is also filled with literal and spiritual meaning, or figurative meaning, and can be applied in more than one way. There is not simply one singular interpretation of a passage in Scripture, that's just not the way that God's Word works. It is alive and can take on different types of meaning but it never contradicts itself and it always supports itself.

All of that said, an individual must be extremely careful and not taking too many liberties with God's Word bringing it to a point of distortion.
What you see if you dig deeper it does contradicts the letter of the Word over the Spiritual Word. For the letter killeth and the Spirit quicken or makes alive.

Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟45,982.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What you see if you dig deeper it does contradicts the letter of the Word over the Spiritual Word. For the letter killeth and the Spirit quicken or makes alive.
That doesn't sound right to me. Are you implying some mystical knowledge that supercedes Scripture?

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I disagree. Like the faith of a mustard seed. The only faith a mustard seed can have is to grow. As we mature in God He reveals deeper mystery's, the hidden manna. The new wine (revelation) is better than the old). The Bible is pregnant with such hidden morsels. The Children of Israel of Israel gathered fresh new manna (food from God) (God's Word) daily. Yesterdays manna stinks.
That is not progressive, however. What God has us to see and understand about his Word changes, but his Word does not.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
As we mature in God He reveals deeper mystery's, the hidden manna.
Hello again George, these "deeper mysteries" were already part of His word, even before we discovered them and came to understand them, yes? So, while ~we~ are changed as we mature/grow in the knowledge and understanding of our eternal God and His eternal word, God & His word does not (change, that is).

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not progressive, however. What God has us to see and understand about his Word changes, but his Word does not.

I like this explanation Mark. Perhaps George means the same thing? Especially as it relates to the day in which we live. It is alive and has fresh revelation. I think of the disciples on the road to Emmaus after Jesus' crucifixion. Suddenly He opened their eyes to something that had been plainly there before them all the time. It took the time in which they lived to give it fuller meaning and the revelation of the Holy Spirit to bring it to light.

Upvote 0

George Edward Banagis

Sep 22, 2022
Wilson
✟9,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't sound right to me. Are you implying some mystical knowledge that supercedes Scripture?
Not supersedes scripture BUT is scriptural in a spiritual sense. You use the word "mystical" or mystery. The word mystery is used at least a dozen times in the NT and means sacred secret in the Greek. So yes the deep things of God are hidden.
Pro. 25: 2

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter. The glory of God speaks of something glorious. The hidden manna

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

George Edward Banagis

Sep 22, 2022
Wilson
✟9,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello again George, these "deeper mysteries" were already part of His word, even before we discovered them and came to understand them, yes? So, while ~we~ are changed as we mature/grow in the knowledge and understanding of our eternal God and His eternal word, God & His word does not (change, that is).

--David
No BUT our understanding should be changing.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,508.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Is this suppose to mean something relevant to this post?
Yes.It is very relevant. In the OP you asked if God's word is progressive, and you disagree with those of us who believe it is not. The Holy Spirit is renewing your mind and you think it is progressive "revelation". It is not. God does not change, and His word does not change. But the Holy Spirit in you will open your understanding. It isn't God's word changing. It is God renewing/changing/progressing your mind.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

George Edward Banagis

Sep 22, 2022
Wilson
✟9,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes.It is very relevant. In the OP you asked if God's word is progressive, and you disagree with those of us who believe it is not. The Holy Spirit is renewing your mind and you think it is progressive "revelation". It is not. God does not change, and His word does not change. But the Holy Spirit in you will open your understanding. It isn't God's word changing. It is God renewing/changing/progressing your mind.
That is pretty much what I said earlier.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

George Edward Banagis

Sep 22, 2022
Wilson
✟9,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its is not a matter of following your heart or some silly song you posted or speaking truth you heard some religious tradition. Truth is harsh and demands overwhelming though. God's peace is one way of knowing it is of God. Or something hidden or amazing staring you in your face your whole life in the Bible and God reveals a deeper hidden amazing revelation.

Upvote 0

George Edward Banagis

Sep 22, 2022
Wilson
✟9,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By the way God word is progressive it is like a river that flows
Here is a perfect example from the Bible that show us we need to be seekers of truth and not sit on what we know; most of these are hidden from the religious mind, carnal mind but God does reveal them to His babes/ His out called/His overcomers.

I cannot and will not fit God’s Word in a man made box; it is like a river that flows and gets deeper and deeper; in fact so deep at times you cannot no longer stand; that is where faith comes in.

Jeremiah 2:13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

Broken Cisterns is all they have; Jeremiah had it totally right. To look beyond those man made principles is so contrary to established creeds and doctrine; they are just like the Catholic Church in the Dark Ages. Luther was a man who was called of God; Luther was not perfect; but Luther did something most Christians refuse to do; hear God and walk with the principles God had given Him. Lutherans today hear Luther and walk with the principle Luther taught them, and do not comprehend God’s Spirit has moved beyond Luther and his dead creed and dogmas. The Bible is not a law Book; but a living moving book that goes beyond the principles man made established icons.

John 7:37-39 (New King James Version) On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. 38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” 39 But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing[a] in Him would receive; for the Holy[b] Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

Upvote 0