Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
In Buddhism there is the word "equanimity" which means we try to have equal compassion for all. I wonder if this is similar to God's love? (in a Christian sense)
My experience of humans is that their love is mainly based on personal preferences. This is often based on how much they have in common or have the same world view or their ability to connect with and understand each other.
Should we be trying to love like God loves? Well of course the answer is "Yes" but I'm not sure I fully grasp it. I find to hard to love all people equally. The dismissive egotist who has to have the final say for instance. How do I feel positive towards such behaviour? And when they do it so often?

Reactions: LaSorcia

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You can love the egotist without liking them.
Yeah Ok fair enough but what does that mean? "loving the egotist? The concept of God's love is beyond me. Do you mean acceptance? I still cant separate "Love" and "Like". Can someone explain what God's love is exactly?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think if we have really good self-esteem and are not bothered by what others think of us, then we can love others. Because anothers' hatred cannot affect how we feel about ourselves. If someone succeeds in making you feel small, how do you feel towards that person? Loving? I don't.

• Agree
Reactions: longwait
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah Ok fair enough but what does that mean? "loving the egotist? The concept of God's love is beyond me. Do you mean acceptance? I still cant separate "Love" and "Like". Can someone explain what God's love is exactly?
God's love is demonstrated on the cross, He loves us enough to die for us and make a way to be with Him forever.

There are people I do not like, but love as I want to see them saved and go to Heaven. But, I agree with Theory, we can't ever love like God loves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think if we have really good self-esteem and are not bothered by what others think of us, then we can love others. Because anothers' hatred cannot affect how we feel about ourselves. If someone succeeds in making you feel small, how do you feel towards that person? Loving? I don't.
I believe you can love people who hate you and make you feel small, whether or not you have a good self esteem is immaterial. Probably the people with low self esteem can love more because they acknowledge their own faults when made to feel small. I would think people with high self esteem would think they have no faults and get offended when made to feel small.

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I believe you can love people who hate you and make you feel small
Can you say that from experience? Can you give us an example? I just want to make this real if possible. If you're busy don't worry.

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I will give you some examples, I worked with abused children and some of it was horrific abuse- yet almost without exception, they loved their parents. These were children made to feel worthless. I could give you one example that would cut you to the quick- but rather not post it on the forum and pm you instead.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I will give you some examples, I worked with abused children and some of it was horrific abuse- yet almost without exception, they loved their parents. These were children made to feel worthless. I could give you one example that would cut you to the quick- but rather not post it on the forum and pm you instead.
When you see people being able to forgive like that, it really stops you in your tracks. I remember a father of a nurse in Australia who was kidnapped, raped, tortured and killed. He was able to forgive those monsters. I'm not sure I could do the same, if I were him. God must intervene sometimes, when we least expect Him to.
I wonder about the kids you described. maybe they haven't processed the trauma yet. Later in adult life, it might come back to haunt them. Prayers for them though and you for working with them.
PM if you like. No problem.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you see people being able to forgive like that, it really stops you in your tracks. I remember a father of a nurse in Australia who was kidnapped, raped, tortured and killed. He was able to forgive those monsters. I'm not sure I could do the same, if I were him. God must intervene sometimes, when we least expect Him to.
I wonder about the kids you described. maybe they haven't processed the trauma yet. Later in adult life, it might come back to haunt them. Prayers for them though and you for working with them.
PM if you like. No problem.
I think it must be God's love and forgiveness, it has to be. It is supernatural. I think they most likely had not processed it all the way, but there are adults who are victims of abuse and able to love their abusers. I no longer work there, some of those children are adults now. I wonder what became of them, and pray for them when they are in my mind. Thank you for praying for them and pray for people who work with abused children, it is a hard job spiritually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Galatea. You are a real inspiration!
Not really, or I'd been strong enough to stay there longer than five years! I think people who devote their lives to that type of work are inspirations.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
upload_2017-3-16_9-43-19.png

like this?

Upvote 0