Is God's "Free" Gift of Salvation Really Free?

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"free gift" is greek for "charisma" (χάρισμα) which comes form the verb "charis" (χάρις) meaning grace. This is the same word used to describe spiritual gifts in 1Cor12:4 "Now there are varieties of [charisma], but the same Spirit." Rather than "free gift" it is the product of grace. try... "For the wages of sin is death, but the product of God's grace is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." When I read that to me there is a suggestion of abiding in his grace rather than receiving.
concider that "gift" and "free gift" troughout romans 5 is used interchangebally - being transaltison either of dorema or charis. "free gift" is just a translation, and its not a very good one, but since these are two different words in greek talking about the same thing, they chose two different translations. But gift - there is no need to explain that it is free -if its not it is not a gift. Salvation is a gift according to scripture. It means it must also be free, or its not a gift. There are other verses to with different wordings that says the same thing, "by grace trough faith" for instance. If tis not free, then its not by grace or trough faith, it is trough works. Jesus tells us to give it out freely. He tells us eternal life is there to "freel"y drink, paul tells us our justification is freely given to us etc.

Reactions: bugkiller
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not arguing that salvation can be earned, but my question has to do with a Christian's obligation to God for His gift of salvation.

Does the reception of God's gift create an obligation for us? Are we obligated to give something in return for having received the free gift of God?
God's gift is free, but it's a gift that can be accepted or rejected, as with any gift. A problem I see in Christianity is the notion that man has no obligation. Either we just plain object to obligations, seeing them as demeaning, an objection which, it could be said, was Adam's sin, or we believe we're offending God by suggesting that anything we do in fulfilling an obligation towards Him means that He might need help in getting us saved. And yet we do agree that a response of faith, at least, is called for-and that those who don't possess this virtue aren't allowed into God's kingdom (whether because the gift of faith wasn't given them to begin with or because they rejected it). Either way we seem obligated to at least believe.

But we have to understand that God isn't in competition with us-He's always wanted the very best for man. And part of that "best" is simply or us to choose rightly, to become consciously, willingly, obedient. This is what He desires to accomplish, without forcing us, just as He did not force Adam to obey in the beginning. God draws man, with grace, towards justice, and the first just act for man is faith. We're here to be changed, to be educated first of all, not merely a portion of us saved as otherwise undeserving wretched worms; we're here to have our wills "adjusted", molded, transformed, rectified-to be justified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LadyCrosstalk

Aug 19, 2006
✟30,242.00
Faith
Christian
I'm not arguing that salvation can be earned, but my question has to do with a Christian's obligation to God for His gift of salvation.

Does the reception of God's gift create an obligation for us? Are we obligated to give something in return for having received the free gift of God?

"Nothing in my hands I bring--simply to the Cross, I cling..." We do not pay for salvation in any way--indeed, we cannot. Our debt of sin has been completely paid by the Blood of Christ. When we realize just how powerfully loving that gift is, we are typically overwhelmed with gratitude to our Savior. It is out of that gratitude and love for Him, in return, that we seek to please Him, which He enables by the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. Doing good should never be out of any sense of obligation or the gift really hasn't been free, has it? When I counsel someone about their salvation, I always advise them to avoid thinking that they can EVER do anything which can please God, without the enabling that His Spirit gives. Jesus said, "Without Me, you can do nothing..."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stephen Douglas

Feb 8, 2016
New Kent Virginia
✟21,287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the problem is with the word "obligation". It appears to be something negative when it is actually the most wonderful thing on earth. Jesus said that his yoke was easy but it is still a yoke. We also know from the apostle Paul that we have two choices. To be slaves to sin or slaves to Christ!

Yes, we are debtors, Yes we are obligated. But this obligation is free (if you can get your head around that one).

Doug

Upvote 0

ldibart

Jan 14, 2012
✟10,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wouldn't say it's really free, because people say that the only alternative is eternal torture in hell. Sounds less "free gift" and more "gun to your head at the edge of a cliff".

... I did not intend that half-rhyme, by the way. XD
LOL It sure does sound a bit forced I always thought ahahahah.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What very few professing Christians truly know is the real born again experience. Salvation is not earned based on the merits of a believer. It totally by The Grace of God The Father that anyone is saved. It's God's desire that everyone be saved. When a person is born again, The Word of God is made very clear. The Word of God that follows includes the thoughts of man and not just his actions.

1Cor.6
  1. [9] Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Until a person is born again, being obedient to God's Word in heart mind and soul would be impossible. It is Christ who grows us and is The Author and Finisher of our faith.

Upvote 0

LadyCrosstalk

Aug 19, 2006
✟30,242.00
Faith
Christian
What very few professing Christians truly know is the real born again experience. Salvation is not earned based on the merits of a believer. It totally by The Grace of God The Father that anyone is saved. It's God's desire that everyone be saved. When a person is born again, The Word of God is made very clear. The Word of God that follows includes the thoughts of man and not just his actions.

1Cor.6
  1. [9] Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Until a person is born again, being obedient to God's Word in heart mind and soul would be impossible. It is Christ who grows us and is The Author and Finisher of our faith.

I agree. I sincerely adore my grandchildren, but I would hate the idea that they felt an obligation to do good works to try to pay me back for loving them. I would want them instead to have the same love for others that I have in my heart for them.

• Agree
Reactions: marineimaging
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If I may say one more thing. The gift offered by God to all of mankind, to each and everyone, does not require a PhD in religious theory or Greek or Hebrew...,. It is offered to the "least of these". To the sheepherder in the field. To the mother who has been beaten all her life. To the son who is blind and cannot see to read. To the father who never attended a minute of school. To the uncle in prison who does not know how to read or write, do math, launch a rocket or use a cell phone. Those children in the garbage heap who were abandoned because of the the color of their skin. The children killed in the womb by a doctor and nurse who lied to the mother about how it was just a glob of tissue. And even to the mother who listened to the lies and didn't know better until it was too late. I thank our God in Heaven that He is that easy to know. To Love. To be a part of His eternity, and it is free to those willing to accept Jesus as Lord. Christ is not His name. It is his title.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jamespyles

Jun 30, 2011
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟17,448.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Actually, it not only takes confessing Christ but actually leading a transformed life as evidence that you have indeed been saved. Not exactly free, since it requires mental assertion and behavioral changes.

Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry but I don't just read only the KJV, I also pull up the Greek as well.

Well, of course. With the internet, anyone can "pull up the Greek." That doesn't mean that person knows Greek, though. "Pulling up the Greek" is just enough Greek to be incredibly dangerous.

"Will" is not even close to the correct application. Far from it in fact.

What linguistic or scholarly evidence do you have to support this? I gave you a lengthy explanation as to why what you say just simply is not so, yet you only say in reply, "No," and offer a bunch of English (not Greek, which is the issue, here) verse that are very irrelevant to the matter at hand, which is not theological, but Greek syntax. The subjunctive mood does not of itself indicate conditionality; that function is shown by the particles εἰ, ἄν, and ἐάν, each combined with the subjunctive. Read any standard Greek grammar, and you will see this.

In addition to what I said of my own knowledge earlier, I actually have scholarly resources to back up my claims. Here is Daniel Wallace, one of the world's premier Greek scholars:

"It is not correct to call this [i.e., the subjunctive mood] the mood of uncertainty" (emphasis in original).[1] Of course, the subjunctive mood can show uncertainty, but not in every context, and to generalize such "is an overly simplistic definition in light of its usage in the NT."[2]

He even explicitly puts John 3:16 under the "purpose-result ἵνα clause," which is exactly what I said:

"A purpose-result ἵνα indicates both the intention and its sure accomplishment...The fact that the subjunctive is all but required after ἵνα does not, of course, argue for uncertainty as to the fate of the believer" (emphasis in original).[3]

He says the same thing in another work:

"We must not suppose that this use of the subjunctive necessarily implies any doubt about the fulfillment of the verbal action on the part of the speaker."[4]

[1] Daniel B. Wallace, The Basics of New Testament Syntax: An Intermediate Greek Grammar (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2000), 201.
[2] Daniel B. Wallace, Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1996), 461.
[3] Wallace, The Basics of New Testament Syntax, 206.
[4] Wallace, Greek Grammar, 472.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

If there is any stipulations on God's free Grace. Then it is no longer Grace, but works (Galatians). And as Children of God we will to God (Romans 6). But even these works do not save us. Its by God in Christ Alone that saves us. An event in time & history when God came down to us in Christ to not abolish the Law, but to fulfill it. Born under the Law in the flesh to kill sin in the flesh. By living the perfect rightouesness required by the Law. And not only then Christ raisr for our Justification. But for our Sanctification too! 1 Cor. 1:30.

Once you say that moral improvement is necessary to be saved. Then it is no longer Grace, but works. Now if you say that the is a rule of life of the believer. Because the believers is no longer under its condemnation. But freed from it, so now being freed from its curse. Live to God. Because God had done everything to save you.

Do you know what the Marrow Controversy is?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Does scripture ever refer to salvation as "free" ???

Upvote 0

Rob84

Apr 25, 2016
Alabama, USA
✟18,229.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is not "free" in the sense of modern day bargain language and the regurgitated and empty rhetoric I have heard in churches all my life. Everything cost something in some way; that is nearly a universal law it seems. "Nobody comes to the father except through me." That in itself is a conditional statement. If we dumb it down as far as it can go, God's grace is offered through the condition that you have faith in Christ. Many people like to say, "God's grace is offered freely, all you have to do is have faith in Christ." No, "freely" is sales pitch language. Define "faith." We know it's more than belief. I argue that it is loving Christ. And Jesus said if we love him we will obey his commandments. The number of commandments is often whittled down to "love God" and "love your neighbor," but again, that's the sale's pitch version. Those two commandments break down into a lot more that a person must do in order to really live out those two summaries (I feel they "must" at the very least be working to constantly improve and not making excuses). None of this is "free" with the exception that it only costs you your life that He gave you, your time that He gave you, and the constant effort that comes from the free will God have also given you. Yeah... it's "free" all right... it'll only cost you your life. At the end of Philippians 1:12 Paul states that his "imprisonment is in the cause of Christ." He actually says a lot of things in Philippians 1 that in no way imply grace as free. If you want it, you need faith in Christ; if you have faith in Christ, it is more than simply saying you have it and signing the back of a business card. All of these things are interconnected.

Hopefully all that makes sense and I don't sound like a complete idiot :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Isaiah 55New King James Version (NKJV)
An Invitation to Abundant Life
55 “Ho! Everyone who thirsts,
Come to the waters;
And you who have no money,
Come, buy and eat.
Yes, come, buy wine and milk
Without money and without price.
2 Why do you spend money for what is not bread,
And your wages for what does not satisfy?
Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good,
And let your soul delight itself in abundance.
3 Incline your ear, and come to Me.
Hear, and your soul shall live;

Upvote 0

surrender1

Jun 1, 2011
✟20,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What does "gift of salvation" mean? Where is that in scripture?

Upvote 0

4meta

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2013
✟29,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Salvation is earned; it is not free. Please would someone show scripture(s) stating that salvation is free. If salvation is based on faith then you must show works to God. Faith without works are dead. (James 2: 14-26). Faith alone does not get you salvation. If one believes in God, that individual will do what God has asked. And what did God asked of us to do? God asked us to LOVE Him & how are we to LOVE God?

1 John 5: 1-5
1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Ecclesiates 12: 12-13
13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

If salvation is free then why does our bible say the following?
Revelation 20: 12-15
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Faith is justified by your works (obedience) to God (James 2: 14-26). How else would God know who truly believe in Him if you do not perform the deeds He has set us to do? That's what makes your salvation earned. If you believe in God, you will do what He had commanded us to do. God commands us to LOVE Him which means to obey Him.

Salvation is not free! If it was, God would not had Paul to say this...
Phillipians 2: 12

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Your works are deeds!
Romans 2: 6-11

6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

11 For there is no respect of persons with God.

Ephesians 2: 8-10
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Grace allows us to obtain salvation by our faith in God. If we have faith in God, we would do what was asked of us. In the OT, God said the duty of man is to obey His commandments. In the NT, God tells us to love him by keeping his commandments. Obedience is loving God. So do I think salvation is free? No. Anybody can obtain salvation but at what price are you willing to pay.

What's the price for salvation? What are you willing to give? Jesus want your life!
Matthew 16: 24-25
24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

James 4: 7-10, 14-15
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

will

8 Draw nigh to God, and he draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

9 Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness.

10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.

15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.

1 John 2: 15-17
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Salvation is not free.

Upvote 0