Is God your supreme delight? We are His...

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me, sadly and regrettably: no. There are pleasures which are more visceral and which I respond to more readily. I wish that the pursuit of God were my chief and sweetest delight. I wish that my drive towards God would make every other drive and instinct pale in comparison. I would love to be so caught up in God that i forget to eat and sleep, that these things assume the status of drudgery. I would love for the sound of God's name to make my hair stand on end and my heart snap to attention.

But all of that can be said of God's view of us. There is nothing passive, aloof or detached about God. All of this is response. We are flowers opening up to be pelted by ray after ray. The sun does all the fury, the flower drinks and sways along to it's circuit.

Seems rather easy: open and float, but try as I might, I just can't. Advice, stories would be appreciated

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reader,

Salvation is all of God.
Discipleship is all of you, with God's help.

If you , reader, are having issues with commitment to holiness, or being "all in" for God, then its because you have a focus problem.
The problem is that the devil has your focus.

See, within Christianity, the devil's main ability is to capture your focus.
Understand, when the devil has your focus, he has your time, he has your mind.
And whomever owns your time and your mind, owns you.

We are told to "renew" our minds, and part of that process is realizing our Focus.
What are you focused on?
What do you spend most of your MIND TIME focused on. ?
The devil will have you focused on you, and then on achieving pleasure.
That's his Game.
Recognize his Game, and disconnect from his Game and turn your focus to the things of God.

If you are not bible studier, or perhaps you are not into "christian stuff", maybe you are not a fan of going to church..... then turn your mind a lot during the day, to Jesus.
Turn your focus to Jesus.
Just think about this beautiful Savior many times a day.
See the Cross. See the Blood of Jesus. See the Resurrection. See Him feeding 5,000. See Him walking on water.
A mind stayed on Jesus is a mind kept in peace.

Its all about FOCUS.

Who has yours?
Just notice how you spend MOST OF YOUR TIME, and you will find out who is your master and your Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
For me, sadly and regrettably: no. There are pleasures which are more visceral and which I respond to more readily. I wish that the pursuit of God were my chief and sweetest delight. I wish that my drive towards God would make every other drive and instinct pale in comparison. I would love to be so caught up in God that i forget to eat and sleep, that these things assume the status of drudgery. I would love for the sound of God's name to make my hair stand on end and my heart snap to attention.

But all of that can be said of God's view of us. There is nothing passive, aloof or detached about God. All of this is response. We are flowers opening up to be pelted by ray after ray. The sun does all the fury, the flower drinks and sways along to it's circuit.

Seems rather easy: open and float, but try as I might, I just can't. Advice, stories would be appreciated
Maybe you can let it be some comfort, that God has so designed things that, in a sense, we are not even complete beings until we see him as he is. Our faith with which we first believed was not ours to generate, but by the Spirit of God. So it is with our remaining in Him --this too is the work of God, or it is vain. That righteousness for which we so hunger and thirst, we will be filled with when we see finally see his face.

And before somebody jumps in here and says I lie, saying that we need not work, NO! I am not saying we need not work. I am saying that our work is not sufficient to accomplish what God is doing --just as in salvation. We are fitful, silly and weak, not to mention ignorant and stupid. We don't understand much, compared to what the Spirit of God knows, does and is, in us.

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our faith with which we first believed was not ours to generate, but by the Spirit of God. So it is with our remaining in Him --this too is the work of God, or it is vain. That righteousness for which we so hunger and thirst, we will be filled with when we see finally see his face.

Mark Quayle

Im not quite following your idea of becoming born again.
You state that our faith that we give to God, that He accepts to justify us, is not really our free will, but its God making us believe?
How can that be correct, when people go to hell for being Christ Rejectors, if its not their choice?
How can your name be taken out of the Lamb's book, if you didnt choose to reject Christ?
Would God be just to blame you and judge you, if what you are being blamed and judged for, God caused you to do?
Freewill, does this not exist to you?
If it doesn't, then who chose your breakfast this morning? Who will choose what you watch online or on TV today? And if you watch a "R" rated movie, will you say that God chose this for you to watch because he caused you to watch it ?

Ive dealt with Buddhists, who are into the "everything is predestined", but they edit it a bit.
They say that its mostly only the matters of spirituality that are destined, but the small stuff, like what you will say next, or if you chose Coke or Pepsi today, isn't really "pre-determined".

Also, you mention the "righteousness that we thirst for"".

Well, if we are "made righteous"...and if all the born again are the "RIGHTEOUSNESS of God, in Christ".... And if "As Jesus is so are the born again, in THIS world"....then how could the born again be any more righteousness, then to be made righteous by the blood of Jesus?
If our righteousness is EQUAL to God's, made so by "the Gift of Righteousness", and equal to the BLood Atonement then how can we ever be more righteous?

Upvote 0

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mark Quayle

You appear to be saying virtually the same thing. I'm puzzled as to why you think that there is conflict between your views. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting:

Salvation is all of God.
Discipleship is all of you, with God's help.

Our faith with which we first believed was not ours to generate, but by the Spirit of God. So it is with our remaining in Him --this too is the work of God, or it is vain.
I am not saying we need not work. I am saying that our work is not sufficient to accomplish what God is doing --just as in salvation

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
You state that our faith that we give to God, that He accepts to justify us, is not really our free will, but its God making us believe?

What do you mean, by 'our faith that we give to God'? Are you talking about placing our trust in him? I don't believe in free will, if it means uncaused. To me that is logical nonsense. Everything is caused, except first cause.

But salvific faith is the gift of God, to us, not us to him. We don't generate it, the Spirit of God generates it in us.

How can that be correct, when people go to hell for being Christ Rejectors, if its not their choice?
How can your name be taken out of the Lamb's book, if you didnt choose to reject Christ?

I didn't say we don't choose. I didn't even imply it. We do have a will, and real, choice, with real, even eternal, consequences.

Would God be just to blame you and judge you, if what you are being blamed and judged for, God caused you to do?
Freewill, does this not exist to you?
To ease your mind, think of this: apart from any consideration of God's work or existence, the law of causation is pervasive --everything that happens is a result of what was before it-- even our choices. And God was first cause, so putting him at the front of the chain of causation changes nothing concerning whether one's choices were caused.

God is the only one with absolute free will. But we do have will, and choice. We do choose according to our will. But that does not deny causation.

If it doesn't, then who chose your breakfast this morning? Who will choose what you watch online or on TV today? And if you watch a "R" rated movie, will you say that God chose this for you to watch because he caused you to watch it ?

Ive dealt with Buddhists, who are into the "everything is predestined", but they edit it a bit.
They say that its mostly only the matters of spirituality that are destined, but the small stuff, like what you will say next, or if you chose Coke or Pepsi today, isn't really "pre-determined".

Also, you mention the "righteousness that we thirst for"".

Well, if we are "made righteous"...and if all the born again are the "RIGHTEOUSNESS of God, in Christ".... And if "As Jesus is so are the born again, in THIS world"....then how could the born again be any more righteousness, then to be made righteous by the blood of Jesus?

If our righteousness is EQUAL to God's, made so by "the Gift of Righteousness", and equal to the BLood Atonement then how can we ever be more righteous?

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean, by 'our faith that we give to God'? Are you talking about placing our trust in him? I don't believe in free will,.

Is it possible for God to require you to BELIEVE< and this not be free will if you do?

Its not logical for God to ask you to believe, and then you only do it, because He causes it.

That can't function as reality.

"God asks me to believe in Jesus, and then He makes me believe it">

See, if He makes you, then He would not have asked you.
There would be no asking, as there would be no need to ask.

Also, God would not be just or right, if you ended up in Hell for "Christ rejection", because you didnt believe, .... because He would not allow it.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Why did God say to some (lukewarm) that He would vomit them out of His mouth if He feels about all of us no matter what evil we do?

What would help is to drop
the very flattering view that God feels that way about us no matter what. The Bible says He delights in those who fear Him, not everyone. Jesus said the Father loves those who obey Him (fear Him.) If we believe that our behavior makes no difference to God and our closeness to Him, we are mistaken. Shall I post a scripture?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Is it possible for God to require you to BELIEVE< and this not be free will if you do?

Its not logical for God to ask you to believe, and then you only do it, because He causes it.

That can't function as reality.

"God asks me to believe in Jesus, and then He makes me believe it">

See, if He makes you, then He would not have asked you.
There would be no asking, as there would be no need to ask.

Also, God would not be just or right, if you ended up in Hell for "Christ rejection", because you didnt believe, .... because He would not allow it.
Do you have a default point, a positional status from which he is not allowed to cause you to act?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Aw, this is relatable. I'm kind of full of fear at what my spiritual journey will entail next. It has been a journey. Spiritually speaking I'm walking with a limp half wanting to hide from our Lord and his mission for me, but at the same time knowing He is our only hope. Ignoring him or becoming apathetic is an option and easy until its not, lol. Que the Misty Edward's song with the lyrics "You won't relent until you have it all..."

Let me tell ya. I've had to come to terms with something because the Lord started off giving me kind of a sunburn level reprimand that led to spiritual gut punches. I tried to ignore or justify but yesterday was a doozy. Today I just listened to a chunk of Psalm in my car. When Psalm 119 and others deliver spiritual blows, you know things have gotten too too far. I don't know what is next for either of us but I encourage you to take in the Word while doing something for someone else ASAP. The Lord gave me a way out of my rut (which I kind of liked because it was safe but knew was wrong) but it involved both his Word and doing a certain kind thing for someone else.

For me, it comes down to disobedience or fear or unwise priorities. However you gently whisper it, it be sin. It makes us dull, dry, and thirsty for the Lord with guilt and frustration. That is my opinion anyway. Sorry if this was a bit raw. Tears are still crusty on my face threatening to come back.

In sum, get with God even if it feels like surface reading and ceiling prayers at first. Persist persist persist. All the while, plan an act of service for someone else that is sacrificial. And, of course put away whatever you have to. Come clean/reprioritize. Whatever you have to. May you be blessed!

*Edited to change Psalms to Psalm
*Edited out my illegal semicolon too. I've said it before. I'm not into proofreading. ;)

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Eftsoon
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Dear ones,
I understand you have tried as you might but you just can’t. Don’t you want to understand why you can’t?

This is what we have heard:
For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God,
for it ( the mind that is set on the flesh ) does not submit to God's law;
indeed,
it
(the mind that is set on the flesh) cannot. -Romans 8:7
Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. -Romans 8:8

So what you can do, that please God; this is what we have heard:

For those who identify with their old nature set their minds on the things of the old nature,
but those who identify with the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. -Romans 8:5 CJB

Having one’s mind controlled by the old nature is death, but having one’s mind controlled by the Spirit is life and shalom. -Romans 8:6 CJB

So dear ones, when you identify yourself with the Spirit, your mind set on the things of the Spirit.

How you might identify yourself with the Spirit ? This is what we have heard:

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." -John 4:24

It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. -John 6:63

By what we have heard, we know God is Spirit and the words that our Lord Jesus Christ have spoken are Spirit and Life.

So we identify ourselves with the Spirit ; we identify ourselves with God ; we identify ourselves with words that our Lord Jesus Christ have spoken, that is Spirit.

Dear ones, also, consider what apostle Paul have said:
For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man's gospel. -Galatians 1:11
For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it (the gospel) through a revelation of Jesus Christ. -Galatians 1:12

So dear ones, we need to know that the gospel that apostles have received is through a revelation of Jesus Christ. That means that we need to receive what apostles told as the Lord Himself spoke to us.

As we also have heard:
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, -2 Timothy 3:16

So all scripture was written by the Spirit of God.

So dear ones, when we set our minds on the things of the Spirit; we set our minds on the things that our Lord Jesus Christ have spoken, including what He has spoken through His Holy apostles and prophets in the Holy Scripture.

When our minds have been ruled by the Spirit of God, then we have life and peace that comes from the Lord.

So we whose mind on the things of the Spirit are of the Spirit, that please God.

So what we should do then? Hear and learned what our Heavenly Father have taught so that we can come to our Lord Jesus Christ.

As our Lord Jesus have said:
No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. -John 6:44
It is written in the Prophets, 'And they will all be taught by God.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me' -John 6:45

This is what our Heavenly Father have said:
My son, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. -Proverbs 4:20
Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. -Proverbs 4:21
For they are life to those who find them, and healing to all their flesh. -Proverbs 4:22

So dear ones, let us treasure His words in our hearts and keep them in our minds so that we don’t sin against Him, that please our Lord our God.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I think your description of how David and Abraham and even Jesus is not how it is experienced by human beings. The word “God” is the sweetest word in the English language to me. But He asks us to do justly to others, not forget about all but him. He asks us to love mercy when they fail to do justly by us, not forget to eat or sleep so our bodies are useless. He asks us to walk through our normal duties humbly with Him.

But it isn’t experiencing the thrill of love for Him, a kind of loving the thrill not the object of the thrill. It’s loving Him enough to obey Him. That is the measure. And from experience I can tell you that obeying Him and His response to that is highly motivating to continue that one’s whole life.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dear ones,
I understand you have tried as you might but you just can’t. Don’t you want to understand why you can’t?

For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God,
for it ( the mind that is set on the flesh ) does not submit to God's law;
indeed,
it
(the mind that is set on the flesh) cannot. -Romans 8:7
Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. -Romans 8:8

So what you can do, that please God; this is what we have heard:

For those who identify with their old nature set their minds on the things of the old nature,
but those who identify with the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. -Romans 8:5 CJB

Having one’s mind controlled by the old nature is death, but having one’s mind controlled by the Spirit is life and shalom. -Romans 8:6 CJB

So dear ones, when you identify yourself with the Spirit, your mind set on the things of the Spirit.

How you might identify yourself with the Spirit ? This is what we have heard:

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." -John 4:24

It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. -John 6:63

By what we have heard, we know God is Spirit and the words that our Lord Jesus Christ have spoken are Spirit and Life.

So we identify ourselves with the Spirit ; we identify ourselves with God ; we identify ourselves with words that our Lord Jesus Christ have spoken, that is Spirit.

Dear ones, also, consider what apostle Paul have said:
For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man's gospel. -Galatians 1:11
For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it (the gospel) through a revelation of Jesus Christ. -Galatians 1:12

So dear ones, we need to know that the gospel that apostles have received is through a revelation of Jesus Christ. That means that we need to receive what apostles told as the Lord Himself spoke to us.

As we also have heard:
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, -2 Timothy 3:16

So all scripture was written by the Spirit of God.

So dear ones, when we set our minds on the things of the Spirit; we set our minds on the things that our Lord Jesus Christ have spoken, including what He has spoken through His Holy apostles and prophets in the Holy Scripture.

When our minds have been ruled by the Spirit of God, then we have life and peace that comes from the Lord.

So we whose mind on the things of the Spirit are of the Spirit, that please God.

So what we should do then? Hear and learned what our Heavenly Father have taught so that we can come to our Lord Jesus Christ.

As our Lord Jesus have said:
No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day. -John 6:44
It is written in the Prophets, 'And they will all be taught by God.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me' -John 6:45

This is what our Heavenly Father have said:
My son, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. -Proverbs 4:20
Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. -Proverbs 4:21
For they are life to those who find them, and healing to all their flesh. -Proverbs 4:22

So dear ones, let us treasure His words in our hearts and keep them in our minds so that we don’t sin against Him, that please our Lord our God.
I think the easier answer is because we don’t obey Him. Obey Him in daily tasks and it all falls into place.

Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the easier answer is because we don’t obey Him. Obey Him in daily tasks and it all falls into place.

Dear ones,
Having purified your souls (minds) by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, -1 Peter 1:22

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their MINDS on the things of the Spirit. -Romans 8:5

So having our souls ( minds/emotions/will) in obedience to the truth THROUGH the Spirit of God in sincere love for the brethren ; we love one another fervently from pure hearts.

That is how we are called to live according to the Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dear ones,
Having purified your souls (minds) by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, -1 Peter 1:22

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their MINDS on the things of the Spirit. -Romans 8:5

So having our souls ( minds/emotions/will) in obedience to the truth THROUGH the Spirit of God in sincere love for the brethren ; we love one another fervently from pure hearts.

That is how we are called to live according to the Spirit.
That’s not in disagreement with what I said it’s just the actual DOING what Gods wants a man to do today can be lost in all the theological language.

“Live according to the spirit” is vague but “forgive your friend” is specific and measurable.

If we ask someone “have you purified your soul by obedience to the truth for a sincere love for the brethren” what do you think they will say? If we ask, “have you forgiven your mother” that’s a clearer matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a default point, a positional status from which he is not allowed to cause you to act?

Well, consider.

If God does not allow free will and God causes everything, then this means that Eve was forced to Eat the apple, and Adam had no opportunity to do anything else.
So, when a person steps off the edge of the theological cliff and begin to BLAME God for everything, saying that God caused it all, then that means the person is literally accusing God of causing Lucifer to fall, and Adam and Eve to do the same.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,273.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, consider.

If God does not allow free will and God causes everything, then this means that Eve was forced to Eat the apple, and Adam had no opportunity to do anything else.
So, when a person steps off the edge of the theological cliff and begin to BLAME God for everything, saying that God caused it all, then that means the person is literally accusing God of causing Lucifer to fall, and Adam and Eve to do the same.
The term 'forced' is forced into this discussion. The truth is, we all, Eve too, decide. Just how does God cause? --it is pretty simple, actually. Chain of causation demands first cause be the first cause of everything else. If God did not cause, then he is not first cause.

But for the sake of argument, let's say God did not cause, but decisions are caused by whatever means. Logic demands they are caused, somehow, though we choose as we do. What difference then, does it make, if God is at the head of the chain of causation? Either way, we still choose, and that, according to our own wills.

Oh! You want FREE will? What do you mean by that, actually? Be more specific than the dictionary, which carefully does not choose a side. If you mean uncaused choice, you will find it hard to prove. You have chosen chance over causation --science and philosophy will both call you illogical.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

You know, I don't see any "open and float" advice in Scripture...

Instead, I see a relationship described in God's word between each of us and God within which our love and enjoyment of God grows over time.

Christ said, "For where you treasure is, there will your heart be also." (Matthew 6:21) In other words, the investment of my time, energy and money (my "treasure") in a particular thing determines how much of my heart that thing will possess. The more I invest in a thing, the more of my heart that thing will obtain. Certainly, this is true in any human relationship. People can't be drawn together if they never interact, if they never speak with one another, if they don't take the time to be with and know the other person. So, too, with God. If one won't invest in one's relationship with Him, one shouldn't be surprised when He seems distant and uninteresting.

We are, of course, drawn to investment in relationship with others by virtue of the pleasure we take in their company (excepting the necessity of work relationships, or other necessary relationships one has with one's doctor, or dentist, etc.). There are, though, certain...protocols we follow when beginning a friendship with someone. I don't, for example, simply bust in on a neighbor, inviting myself into their home, intruding upon them unannounced, helping myself to their stuff just as I like. This behaviour would be sure to ruin any chance of friendship, I think.

So, too, with God. He has conditions under which we approach Him and come to enjoy Him in friendship. Most obviously, God is, well, God. We can only interact with Him in light of this fact. And so, we have to approach Him as an inferior, as one entirely dependent upon Him for everything, as His creature and servant, humble and submitted to Him. This is the only dynamic under which we can come to enjoy God fully.

Romans 6:13
13 Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.

Romans 6:22
22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life.

Romans 8:14
14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

Romans 12:1
1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

James 4:6-10
6 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.
10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

1 Peter 5:5-6
5 ...Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,

It is not the common practice of modern Christians to live in daily, even moment-by-moment, submission to God. As a consequence, these same Christians experience a very shallow, frustrating interaction with God, constantly struggling with other competing interests in their attempts to draw close to Him. God would alter their desires, transform their heart so that they desire Him above all else, but He will not compel such a transformation. They must yield themselves to Him before His transformation of them occurs. Submission, then, is absolutely essential to Christian living, to enjoying God.

God is also, of course, absolutely holy. (1 John 1:5) This fact orders our approach to Him. We can't expect delightful, joyful interaction with God when our lives are full of unconfessed sin we are not willing to forsake. (See: Psalms 66:18; Isaiah 59:2; 1 Peter 3:12) God's holy nature confines our interactions with Him, making it impossible for us to enjoy Him so long as we dabble willfully in the sin He despises.

But Christians today have this idea that sin is no big deal. They think "grace covers it all" so that they can be mired in the filth of the pigpen of sin and approach God without issue. Well, their sin cannot dissolve their relationship to God as His child, but just as happened with the Prodigal Son, the Christian's sinful waywardness totally halts their intimate communion with their Heavenly Father. It is not possible, then, to accommodate sin in one's life and deeply enjoy our holy, holy, holy God Almighty.

Finally, our interactions with God are necessarily constrained by His truth (John 4:24; John 14:17; John 17:17-19; Romans 1:18; 2 Corinthians 4:2, etc.). If one approaches God with a false view of who He is, and how one may interact with Him, the result will be frustration, confusion and fleshly attempts to manufacture sensual "experiences" of God. Too often, Christians don't really know who God is, holding contorted, pop-culture ideas about His love, His holiness, His justice and His essential nature. As a result, they try to relate with God according to these contorted ideas and find, of course, He is not there. The false God they try to know does not exist.

When, however, a person comes to God as He is, attending to the "protocols" of approaching God Almighty, they find Him the most incredible, delightful, peace-giving Person imaginable. They discover God is truly good, that He transforms them just as He promised, filling their lives with Himself and all of the awesome richness and joy that entails.

Psalm 16:11
11 You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eftsoon
Upvote 0

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You know, I don't see any "open and float" advice in Scripture...

Instead, I see a relationship described in God's word between each of us and God within which our love and enjoyment of God grows over time.

Christ said, "For where you treasure is, there will your heart be also." (Matthew 6:21) In other words, the investment of my time, energy and money (my "treasure") in a particular thing determines how much of my heart that thing will possess. The more I invest in a thing, the more of my heart that thing will obtain. Certainly, this is true in any human relationship. People can't be drawn together if they never interact, if they never speak with one another, if they don't take the time to be with and know the other person. So, too, with God. If one won't invest in one's relationship with Him, one shouldn't be surprised when He seems distant and uninteresting.

We are, of course, drawn to investment in relationship with others by virtue of the pleasure we take in their company (excepting the necessity of work relationships, or other necessary relationships one has with one's doctor, or dentist, etc.). There are, though, certain...protocols we follow when beginning a friendship with someone. I don't, for example, simply bust in on a neighbor, inviting myself into their home, intruding upon them unannounced, helping myself to their stuff just as I like. This behaviour would be sure to ruin any chance of friendship, I think.

So, too, with God. He has conditions under which we approach Him and come to enjoy Him in friendship. Most obviously, God is, well, God. We can only interact with Him in light of this fact. And so, we have to approach Him as an inferior, as one entirely dependent upon Him for everything, as His creature and servant, humble and submitted to Him. This is the only dynamic under which we can come to enjoy God fully.

Romans 6:13
13 Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.

Romans 6:22
22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the fruit you get leads to sanctification and its end, eternal life.

Romans 8:14
14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

Romans 12:1
1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

James 4:6-10
6 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.
10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.

1 Peter 5:5-6
5 ...Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,

It is not the common practice of modern Christians to live in daily, even moment-by-moment, submission to God. As a consequence, these same Christians experience a very shallow, frustrating interaction with God, constantly struggling with other competing interests in their attempts to draw close to Him. God would alter their desires, transform their heart so that they desire Him above all else, but He will not compel such a transformation. They must yield themselves to Him before His transformation of them occurs. Submission, then, is absolutely essential to Christian living, to enjoying God.

God is also, of course, absolutely holy. (1 John 1:5) This fact orders our approach to Him. We can't expect delightful, joyful interaction with God when our lives are full of unconfessed sin we are not willing to forsake. (See: Psalms 66:18; Isaiah 59:2; 1 Peter 3:12) God's holy nature confines our interactions with Him, making it impossible for us to enjoy Him so long as we dabble willfully in the sin He despises.

But Christians today have this idea that sin is no big deal. They think "grace covers it all" so that they can be mired in the filth of the pigpen of sin and approach God without issue. Well, their sin cannot dissolve their relationship to God as His child, but just as happened with the Prodigal Son, the Christian's sinful waywardness totally halts their intimate communion with their Heavenly Father. It is not possible, then, to accommodate sin in one's life and deeply enjoy our holy, holy, holy God Almighty.

Finally, our interactions with God are necessarily constrained by His truth (John 4:24; John 14:17; John 17:17-19; Romans 1:18; 2 Corinthians 4:2, etc.). If one approaches God with a false view of who He is, and how one may interact with Him, the result will be frustration, confusion and fleshly attempts to manufacture sensual "experiences" of God. Too often, Christians don't really know who God is, holding contorted, pop-culture ideas about His love, His holiness, His justice and His essential nature. As a result, they try to relate with God according to these contorted ideas and find, of course, He is not there. The false God they try to know does not exist.

When, however, a person comes to God as He is, attending to the "protocols" of approaching God Almighty, they find Him the most incredible, delightful, peace-giving Person imaginable. They discover God is truly good, that He transforms them just as He promised, filling their lives with Himself and all of the awesome richness and joy that entails.

Psalm 16:11
11 You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I'm absolutely fragged at the moment. I can't respond to everything, but crucially I can address your objection to 'open and float'.

For me, opening up to God is not an easy process at all. Referring back to the analogy of the flower, after being locked up tight for a lifetime, the inner petals, anthers, stigma will all be incredibly sensitive. Sunlight would be like hot oil. Opening up to God isn't a pleasant thoughtless process, endurance and pain are part of the process.
The floating (following the circuit of the sun) comes when God's will and our will align and move in sync.
Throughout all this we give up self-determination and, progressively - with much difficulty - we settle into a heavenly pattern of motion.

Upvote 0