✟887,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Grasping

I would disagree we are all his creation as he creates both sheep (vessels for honor) and Goats (vessels for dishonor).

John 8 is clear God is not everybody's Father... even though he is their creator.

In Him

Bill

Romans 9 is not about predestination. The verse you quoted is about those chosen by God to perform a specific task. Notice Paul uses Jacob and Pharaoh in this illustration. Jacob a vessel of honor and Pharaoh a vessel of dishonor.
Hebrews 6:4-6 (NRSV)
For it is impossible to restore again to repentance those who have once been enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit,
and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come,
and then have fallen away, since on their own they are crucifying again the Son of God and are holding him up to contempt.

The above verse also hints the justification. The Son of God may need to be crucified over again to justify the salvation of the unsavable.

Not true my friend

“And he did not enter heaven to offer himself again and again, like the high priest here on earth who enters the Most Holy Place year after year with the blood of an animal. If that had been necessary, Christ would have had to die again and again, ever since the world began. But now, once for all time, he has appeared at the end of the age to remove sin by his own death as a sacrifice. And just as each person is destined to die once and after that comes judgment, so also Christ was offered once for all time as a sacrifice to take away the sins of many people. He will come again, not to deal with our sins, but to bring salvation to all who are eagerly waiting for him.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭9:25-28‬

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good Day,BNR32

The text does not infer it, so any attempt to make such a presumption is based on silence.

We do know that the Father draws to overcome the inability of man to come, also we do know that the Father gives and the direct result of that action is the coming. That would be sufficient positive affirmation as to the drawing by the Father, and it's effect, so trying to build truth on silence is not very useful here.

In Him,

Bill

So when Jesus actually says He will draw all men to Him that’s not really what He means? Please excuse me for saying this brother Bill but it appears you are ignoring or disregarding this scripture. It stands to reason that God said He wants everyone to repent, come to the full knowledge of truth, and be saved and doesn’t want any to perish then He said he loves the world and sent His son to die so the world may be saved now he says He will draw all men to Him. These are all in line with one another.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know, because that’s not even an option. Sheep will always be sheep.

I beg to differ my friend.

John 15 explained in the proper context with the proper translations. So many people who believe in eternal security get way off course when they hit this stumbling block. This is because John 15:1-6 refutes the doctrine of eternal security. In order to understand this passage of scripture you have to really look at the context as well as the Greek definitions of the keys words used here. First I’ll start with the context. Who is Jesus speaking to? This message takes place right after the Last Supper. Judas has already left the upper room to go and betray Jesus and Jesus and His faithful 11 apostles are walking to Gethsemane late at night. So according to the scriptures only Jesus and His faithful 11 apostles are present during this message. So let’s examine Jesus’ message. I’m going to use the NLT version which I know many people will say is inaccurate but I will show you by the definition of the Greek words used that in this particular case the NLT is actually more accurate than the KJV,ASV,and ESV with one exception. In verse 9 the NLT adds the word “true” in front of the word “disciples”. I have removed the word “true” because it is not in the original Greek text and it is not my intention to add anything to the original text in order to support my position in this discussion. So let’s continue.

““I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me. “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! When you produce much fruit, you are my disciples. This brings great glory to my Father. “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love.”

John 15:1-10 NLT

First let’s examine verses 1 & 2.

““I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more.”

John 15:1-2 NLT

The Father “cuts off” every branch “of mine” that doesn’t produce fruit. Before we look at cuts off notice Jesus says “of mine”. These branches are believers. They are already grafted into the vine. We will see more evidence of this later in my explanation. So let’s look at the full definition of the Greek word used for the term “cuts off” which is aírō (G142).

Definition

1) to raise up, elevate, lift up a) to raise from the ground, take up: stones b) to raise upwards, elevate, lift up: the hand c) to draw up: a fish

2) to take upon one's self and carry what has been raised up, to bear

3) to bear away what has been raised, carry off a) to move from its place b) to take off or away what is attached to anything c) to remove d) to carry off, carry away with one e) to appropriate what is taken f) to take away from another what is his or what is committed to him, to take by force g) to take and apply to any use h) to take from among the living, either by a natural death, or by violence i) cause to cease

Notice the bold letters in the definition. To take off or away what is attached to anything. The branch is attached to the vine. When the Greek word aírō is used in reference to something that is attached to something the correct definition is removed or detached. The term taken away is also used which still implies the same thing. If someone is taken away from the vine (Jesus) they become detached or removed from Him which cannot result in salvation. Let’s continue there’s plenty more evidence to confirm this.

“You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.”

John 15:3-4 NLT

Here Jesus is saying to His 11 faithful apostles “remain in Me” “YOU cannot be fruitful UNLESS YOU remain in Me”. Now look at the implications here. These are very powerful words. Jesus is directing this message to His 11 faithful apostles whom we know without a doubt that Jesus knew they believed according to John 6:64. Jesus is implying that there is a possibility that they can fail to abide or remain in Him. According to the doctrine of eternal security this means Jesus is warning His apostles of doing something that is impossible for them to do. Why would Jesus warn them to abide in Him if they are incapable of falling away? Jesus knew they still have free will and they needed this message to stay the course. Notice in the first verse of the very next chapter while they are still walking to Gethsemane Jesus says to them ““These things have I spoken unto you, that ye should not be caused to stumble.”

John 16:1”. Let’s continue.

““Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.”

John 15:5 NLT

Two key things to focus on here. Those who remain in Jesus WILL PRODUCE MUCH FRUIT. Not might produce or may or can produce some fruit. Will produce much fruit. It is inevitable absolutely will happen of course if given the opportunity. The thief on the cross is an example of someone who didn’t have much of an opportunity to produce fruit or do good works. He did defend Jesus against the other criminals who were mocking Jesus. So he did produce some fruit but he was pretty limited considering he was nailed to a cross. But for those who have the capability to produce fruit and do not they will face the consequences of verses 2 and 6. Now the second point of focus is “apart from Me YOU can do nothing”. According to eternal security the apostles can’t be apart from Him because of 1 John 2:19.

“They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.”

1 John 2:19 KJV

So how does this make sense? Very easy 1 John 2:19 is speaking of antichrists as we can see in verse 18.

“Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.”

1 John 2:18 KJV

So what’s the difference between those who don’t abide and antichrists? Well antichrists lie and deny that Jesus is the Messiah and the Son of God and God Himself. Antichrists try to deceive people about Jesus and The Father. That’s very different from what we’re seeing here in a John 15. John 15 is about becoming lukewarm. Only believers can become lukewarm because nonbelievers were never hot with passion for Christ to begin with. 1 John 2:19 only tells us that true believers will never be antichrists. It doesn’t say that true believers cannot fail to abide in Christ. Ok let’s proceed to verse 6 in John 15.

“Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned.”

John 15:6 NLT

Now many who teach the doctrine of eternal security will say this is a parallel verse to 1 Corinthians 3:15. That is not correct. In 1 Cor 3:15 Paul is taking about believers who are “building” on the foundation of Christ. They are doing works. 1 Cor 3:15 is not about believers who are not doing works. John 15:1-10 is about believers who are not doing works. Maybe they were then stopped or maybe they’re new to their faith and haven’t started. I don’t know. I don’t see any indication in the scriptures. The bottom line is they’re not doing works. In 1 Cor 3 Paul is explaining how both he and Apollos did the work God assigned them and both will be rewarded according to their deeds. Their works will be tested by fire to see if it has any value. Whether their works have any value or not the builder will still be saved either way. By having value means did it bring glory to God. I don’t want to get too far into discussing 1 Cor 3 because this is getting long and a bit off track. Anyone can clearly see it is only referring to believers who have done works. So let’s look at the Greek definition of the word bállō (G906) which is translated to cast or throw which means

1) to throw or let go of a thing without caring where it falls a) to scatter, to throw, cast into b) to give over to one's care uncertain about the result c) of fluids

1) to pour, pour into of rivers

2) to pour out

2) to put into, insert

Grammar:

a primary verb; to throw (in various applications, more or less violent or intense):--arise, cast (out), X dung, lay, lie, pour, put (up), send, strike, throw (down), thrust. Compare ῥίπτω.

Basically it means to carelessly throw down or thrust in a violent or intense manner without regard.

Next let’s look at the word wither which is translated from the Greek word xēraínō (G3583)

1) to make dry, dry up, wither

2) to become dry, to be dry, be withered a) of plants b) of the ripening of crops c) of fluids d) of the members of the body

3) to waste away, pine away, i.e. a withered hand

To dry up or waste away.

Lastly let’s look at the definition of the word burned translated from the Greek word kaíō (G2545) which means

1) to set on fire, light, burning

2) to burn, consume with fire

Pretty basic definition as you would expect.

So let’s review and put it all into perspective. So we have Jesus warning His 11 faithful apostles to abide in Him even explaining the consequences of failing to abide while the doctrine of eternal security suggests it is impossible for the faithful 11 not to abide, at least not unto the point of loss of salvation. But look at the consequences Jesus described in the proper translation. They are cut off or removed from the vine (Jesus). That in itself cannot result in salvation without repentance. They are cast or thrown away (carelessly violently intensely without regard) to wither (dry up and waste away) then thrown (again carelessly violently intensely without regard) into the fire to be burned (set on fire or consumed by fire). For anyone who questions the definitions I’ve provided for these words you can search it for yourself using the Strong’s concordance reference numbers I provided. Just google Strong’s concordance then type in the letter and number and you can see the definitions for yourself. I provided the number right after the Greek transliteration. For example search “Strong’s Concordance G142 and you’ll get the information for the Greek word aírō which means to take away, lift up, etc. If you question whether or not these are the correct Greek words in the scriptures just google John 15 Greek Interlinear and you can see the original Greek texts with translations and the Strong’s Concordance reference numbers. Here’s a link to make it easier. KJV w/ Strong's Concordance - John 15

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, BNR32fan

Nope there is not nor would one expect it...

ISA 46:10 declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose.

James White covers 1 Timothy in context here:

1Ti 2:1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

Did Jesus offer his self a ransom (purpose) for all with out distiction, and the ransom of himself was uneffective to ransom most?

In Him,

Bill

No Jesus’ sacrifice will not save everyone but that doesn’t mean that God does not desire everyone to be saved. The scriptures plainly state it twice in 1 Timothy 2:3-4 and 2 Peter 3:9. I’m sorry I don’t have time to watch videos right now I’m at work.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So when Jesus actually says He will draw all men to Him that’s not really what He means? Please excuse me for saying this brother Bill but it appears you are ignoring or disregarding this scripture. It stands to reason that God said He wants everyone to repent, come to the full knowledge of truth, and be saved and doesn’t want any to perish then He said he loves the world and sent His son to die so the world may be saved now he says He will draw all men to Him. These are all in line with one another.

Good day, BNR32

You are excused.... "he said that about the type of death he would suffer" the death of the middle cross.

There are indeed in line with one another a real flawed presumption... leads to real bad illogical inferences, and then a conclusion that is just a factual mess.

It stands to reason I assume you mean yours. Having dealt with the out of context use of Peter as did others.

Lets have a look:

God wants every one to repent... not every one does, so you have a God there that is for all of eternity unfulfilled in his desires and purposes. I hope you can understand why a God like that is not one that could rightly called the God of Scripture.

Isa 46:10 declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose

What does Scripture say about repentance:

2Ti 2:23 Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.

It is granted, so if that is what he wanted... he would just Grant to everyone that granting would lead to the knowledge of truth and his purpose would be accomplished. Seeing that is not the case that is not his purpose.

John 3:16 - a Calvinist wrote a very good song based on this verse. I do remember my Baptist pastor being surprised by that little fact. I assured him God was not done with him yet.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

The "not perishing" are the ones in the dependent clause the who are doing the verb believing, very limited in scope. There is no connect between the Not perishing and the world.

Jesus came to save his people the ones the Father gave him out of the world, If God purpose in send his son to save the world ... well then he should have gave him the whole world.

He then would need to grant the gift of faith to every single person, but he did not.

2Th 3:1 Finally, brothers, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may speed ahead and be honored, as happened among you, and that we may be delivered from wicked and evil men. For not all have faith.

This represents what scripture has to say about what you say you find reasonable, but Scripture addresses these things from a different angle.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, BNR32fan

Nope there is not nor would one expect it...

ISA 46:10 declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose.

James White covers 1 Timothy in context here:

1Ti 2:1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

Did Jesus offer his self a ransom (purpose) for all with out distiction, and the ransom of himself was uneffective to ransom most?

In Him,

Bill

Ok that was a waste of 19 minutes of my life. What Paul means is to pray for all “kinds” of men?!! That’s not the context at all and not what the scriptures say. Paul was not an idiot he was a highly educated man who is well known for speaking clearly and precisely. Paul is clearly and literally saying to pray for ALL MEN because God desires that ALL MEN be saved!!

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok that was a waste of 19 minutes of my life. What Paul means is to pray for all “kinds” of men?!! That’s not the context at all and not what the scriptures say. Paul was not an idiot he was a highly educated man who is well known for speaking clearly and precisely. Paul is clearly and literally saying to pray for ALL MEN because God desires that ALL MEN be saved!!

Good day,

Context is king....

Strong's Greek: 3956. πᾶς (pas) -- all, every

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.

Kings and people in High place are kinds of people... or all kinds of people.

Does Jesus mediate for all men?
Did Jesus die to ransom all men?

Or does he do these things for all types of men.

He desires that which he can not have.... not true.

Would you suggest he try a little harder, or is he doing the best he can?

In Him,

Bill

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 9 is not about predestination. The verse you quoted is about those chosen by God to perform a specific task. Notice Paul uses Jacob and Pharaoh in this illustration. Jacob a vessel of honor and Pharaoh a vessel of dishonor.

Good Day, BNR32

I never said it was does not God have the freedom and the right to create Sheep, and Goats?

Here is Pauls question:
Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honored use and another for dishonorable use?

What say u??

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,524.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, BNR32

I never said it was does not God have the freedom and the right to create Sheep, and Goats?

Yes - but would a God who IS love create someone in his image, and yet who was destined to never know him? Is that what a loving father does - makes a woman pregnant and then completely rejects his child?
And if he DID, why would God condemn that person for not knowing him, when that is how he was created - destined to never know God? That person would be fulfilling what God had made them to do; not knowing, and living without, him.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes - but would a God who IS love create someone in his image, and yet who was destined to never know him? Is that what a loving father does - makes a woman pregnant and then completely rejects his child?
And if he DID, why would God condemn that person for not knowing him, when that is how he was created - destined to never know God? That person would be fulfilling what God had made them to do; not knowing, and living without, him.

Good Day, StrongInHim

Are you not falling in to the direct line of questions that Paul is addressing... those are the ones you are asking.

Rom 9:17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."
Rom 9:18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.
Rom 9:19 You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?"
Rom 9:20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?"

Can you as a creation, speak back to the creator, does he not have the right.

Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honored use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles

I hope you can see it is very dangerous to be on the other side of Paul here.

In Him

Bill

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
2 Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'I have noted what Amalek did to Israel in opposing them on the way when they came up out of Egypt.
3 Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.'" - 1 Samuel 15:2-3

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,524.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'I have noted what Amalek did to Israel in opposing them on the way when they came up out of Egypt.
3 Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.'" - 1 Samuel 15:2-3

That's not the same.
I believe that children who die before they can come to know God, go to be with him.

I'm talking about a situation where a man says to his wife, "I got you pregnant, and I'll allow you to have the child - but I don't want anything to do with it; it will not bear my name and will not inherit anything from me. I will accept and love the child from your second pregnancy, and maybe the third, but not this one". I highly doubt that any such man would be in line for a "father of the year" award - more likely, they'd be arrested for neglect.
This is what you are effectively saying that God does - creates a person/allows them to be born, knowing that he will reject them all their lives and they will go to hell.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,524.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, StrongInHim

Are you not falling in to the direct line of questions that Paul is addressing... those are the ones you are asking.

Rom 9:17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."
Rom 9:18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.
Rom 9:19 You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?"
Rom 9:20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?"

Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honored use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles

With respect, I would say that it is dangerous to teach that a God who IS love, 1 John 4:8, who is light with no darkness in him at all, 1 John 1:5, who is perfect, Matthew 5:48 and who made all mankind in his image, Genesis 1:26-27, could say, "I am going to deliberately create someone who will never know me, who I will never love and who I will eventually reject because they never knew, or accepted, me."

Consider: if someone is created like this, created to be a goat and never know God; when they die, they will have spent their entire lives living to be what God made them to be and obeying his will. Why would God then reject them for doing what he made them to do?

How many of us will become the people God wants us to be and live according to his will? We are his children, have his Spirit, are born again and have every spiritual blessing in Christ - yet we may still fail to do God's will and be the people he wants us to be.
Yet, apparently, there are atheists and non believers who were created by God to be atheists and non believers - and so are perfectly fulfilling the role, and purpose, that their creator has for them. So how could they be condemned for it?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That's not the same.
I believe that children who die before they can come to know God, go to be with him.

I'm talking about a situation where a man says to his wife, "I got you pregnant, and I'll allow you to have the child - but I don't want anything to do with it; it will not bear my name and will not inherit anything from me. I will accept and love the child from your second pregnancy, and maybe the third, but not this one". I highly doubt that any such man would be in line for a "father of the year" award - more likely, they'd be arrested for neglect.
This is what you are effectively saying that God does - creates a person/allows them to be born, knowing that he will reject them all their lives and they will go to hell.
I never said anything about Him rejecting them. Anyone who believes will be saved.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Amen friend I believe the reason God has chosen a synergistic means of salvation is because God desires our love and fellowship. While we are incapable of choosing God apart from His grace He has either given or will give everyone the ability to come to Him. John 3:16 makes it clear that God loved the world even while we were in disobedience. Which is why He sent Jesus so that the world may be saved. This doesn’t mean the world will be saved it means God made a way for everyone to be saved. The world may be saved. Like I said I believe the reason for this is because God desires our love. Love is the only thing we can offer God that is of any value to Him. So what makes love valuable? Is it the things a person who loves you says or does or is it the affection, devotion, compassion, joy, that a person gives of their own free will? Would love be as valuable if it was not freely given? Let’s say you cast a spell on your spouse so that she would be forced against her will to love you no matter what. Think about how you would feel when she says I love you. Would that have any value at all? Of course not because she hasn’t chosen to love you she is merely saying this against her will without any alternative. This same problem exists in Calvinism. If grace is irresistible then God has simply created beings who have no free will whether or not to choose to love God. If that were God’s intention then there’s no reason for this world at all. God could’ve created us in perfect obedience from the beginning if that were His plan. But God chose to make us autonomous, free to choose of our own desire. This is why this world is necessary as a breeding ground to cultivate humans who would choose to love God of their own free will so that we can live with Him in heaven in fellowship with Him. He as our loving Father and us as His loving children. Calvinism rejects that God loves the world, that Jesus was sent so the would may be saved, that God desires all to repent and be saved. Calvinism also makes God ultimately responsible for all sin and all who will not repent and turn to God and all who will burn in the lake of fire. These people never had the opportunity or even the ability to choose God according to Calvinism. It makes no sense that God would be angry at those who do not possess the ability to obey because He has not given them that ability and result in eternal punishment. I don’t see how anyone can come to this conclusion according to the scriptures.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, StrongInHim

In Him

Bill

God being omnipresent and omniscient can choose those who are headed for destruction of their own will for this purpose.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,524.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never said anything about Him rejecting them. Anyone who believes will be saved.

Yes - anyone who believes can, and will, be saved. Not a few who have been specially pre-selected beforehand.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yes - anyone who believes can, and will, be saved. Not a few who have been specially pre-selected beforehand.
Yes. Anyone. I’ve never said otherwise. If a goat believes, he will be save. He won’t believe. But if he did....

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,524.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Anyone. I’ve never said otherwise.

Sorry, I may have misunderstood what you were saying there.

If a goat believes, he will be save. He won’t believe. But if he did....

That's the bit I disagree with.
I don't believe that God created some people to be "goats", and with the deliberate intention that they would never know, or believe in, the One who made them.

We are all sinners and Christ died for sinners.
He, himself, said that anyone who believed in him would have eternal life - that offer is open to everyone, no exceptions.
Not all will respond to that offer and be saved.
Some people, sadly, may have been hurt/let down by the church and confuse God's generous love with what the church has to offer. Some may feel let down by/angry with God himself; maybe he hasn't answered their prayers in the way that they wanted. Some may have been told "it's great that you believe in God, but you also have to do X to be saved". Some may just not believe the Gospel - preferring to think instead that if they do good works, don't hurt anyone and go to church occasionally, that will be enough. And some of these people may continue to hold on to their position, and continue in their unbelief until they die. They may not want to change, may believe that being a Christian is about being religious and having to give up things that they enjoy, like drinking, or parties. They may refuse to believe even if confronted by evidence.
But that is not the same as saying that they cannot believe in God because they were made that way - by him, deliberately.

As I said, if it was; why would God condemn someone for doing, and being, the person he made them to do, and be?

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm inspired by George Whitfield in this thread. John Wesley preached against Whitefield's Calvinism (although they were dearly beloved friends). Wesley said that God would be unjust if he sovereignly chose to save only some and sovereignly chose to condemn others to hell. Here is how Whitfield responded:

Would God have been unjust to pass over every sinner and save none? If God is not unjust by saving none, then surely he is not unjust to mercifully save some while passing over others.

What do you say? Is God unjust to save some?
There are people in history who i think should not be given any salvation at all. In fact, allowing some of these historical madmen to be saved would be unjust.

Upvote 0