Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Television is the opiate of the masses.
:thumbsup:

TV is soma.

Also, if God (are we referring to only the Christian God here?) is the opiate of the masses, best inform the wackjobs over at WBC and various and sundry other nutbars who carry out violence in his name.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,782.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From Merriam-Webster: Opiate: a drug (as morphine, heroin, and codeine) containing or derived from opium and tending to induce sleep and to alleviate pain; broadly : narcotic

Christianity posits the potential of hell; atheism posits the inevitability of absolute endless unconsciousness. Hmm, which one tends to induce sleep and alleviate pain? :idea:

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,782.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
On an unrelated note, let me tell you how wonderful the ignore list can be: super wonderful.

Ignore list = atheism. In Japanese TV lingo: "Super Wonderful Happy Funtime Good Show!"

Upvote 0

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
Where's the fun in that?

Ok, honestly, I'm pretty tenacious about reading things before I address them, and I've read a great deal of anti-religious material from Voltaire, Nietzsche, Freud, Russell, and all the rest. Reading Marx is not high on my list, however, because there's virtually no one left who takes him seriously outside a few pockets of left-wing academics. His approaches to psychology, history, economics, government, and almost everything else turned out to be flat wrong. This is evidenced by many things, but most clearly by the utter failure of those countries that tried to build a society along the lines given in his books. I may read a bit of Marx for historical interest at some point, but certainly not for any other reason.

I think Marx is probably pretty important if you're into Hegel, but who the hell can read Hegel?

Upvote 0

Valerian Red

peacefuleye
Feb 26, 2009
United States
Visit site
✟7,798.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it makes people feel better about things outside their control, that ended up getting twisted into a means or ruling over people once it was organized.
That was Freud's thesis. But what of the God who brings invasion, famine, ruin and judgment, here and hereafter? Isn't the world a lot less scary without him?

Upvote 0