Is God Sovereign Over All Things?

Is God Sovereign Over All Things?

• Yes. Of course! What a dumb question.

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • No. There are things which He has no control over.

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Christodoulos,

I expected you to being up the tired and discredited claim that the teaching of Ecclesiastes 9:11 need not be taken seriously because it is wisdom "under the sun."
In fact, it reflects standard OT teaching about Chaos as a force that is not yet tamed by God and therefore allows us to be victimized by Chance. Don't confuse the distinction between God's active will versus His permissive will and the distinction between physical suffering that results from divine judgement from physical suffering from natural disasters that does not reflect God's will, but rather inspires His sympathy and compassion.

The horrid nonbiblical God conjured by recent posters on this thread is a major reason why honest and morally sensitive seekers, who might otherwise become devout Christians, reject the God of the Bible as morally monstrous and therefore a mythical human construct mirroring human selfishness and delight in violence. The reason for my blunt dismissal of this unethical vision of God is my desire to remove evangelistic barriers to a fascination with a loving and just God. For that reason, I plan to start a new thread on "A Loving God Versus Unfair Suffering."

Reactions: Wordkeeper
Upvote 0

Christodoulos

Jun 9, 2017
Dudley
✟11,277.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christodoulos,

I expected you to being up the tired and discredited claim that the teaching of Ecclesiastes 9:11 need not be taken seriously because it is wisdom "under the sun."
In fact, it reflects standard OT teaching about Chaos as a force that is not yet tamed by God and therefore allows us to be victimized by Chance. Don't confuse the distinction between God's active will versus His permissive will and the distinction between physical suffering that results from divine judgement from physical suffering from natural disasters that does not reflect God's will, but rather inspires His sympathy and compassion.

The horrid nonbiblical God conjured by recent posters on this thread is a major reason why honest and morally sensitive seekers, who might otherwise become devout Christians, reject the God of the Bible as morally monstrous and therefore a mythical human construct mirroring human selfishness and delight in violence. The reason for my blunt dismissal of this unethical vision of God is my desire to remove evangelistic barriers to a fascination with a loving and just God. For that reason, I plan to start a new thread on "A Loving God Versus Unfair Suffering."

"standard OT teaching", with you as the sole authority!

Upvote 0

Christodoulos

Jun 9, 2017
Dudley
✟11,277.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christodoulos,

do you believe in a literal, conscious hell, for the unsaved lost?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Christodoulos,

NM

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Si_monfaith

Let God alone answer through us
Feb 27, 2016
Australia
✟25,925.00
Country
India
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
God can never be seen as the author of sin or evil regardless of the truth that all human choices originate in Him. Why?

If man hadn't chosen the knowledge of good and evil in the garden of eden, man could not know that whatever God did was evil or sin.

It was not God's will for man to possess the knowledge of good and evil. Only God can help you to not think in terms of the knowledge of good and evil.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If man hadn't chosen the knowledge of good and evil in the garden of eden, man could not know that whatever God did was evil or sin.

Ok that's a new take on it.

Are you saying that God isn't perfect? But there was this tree of knowledge in the Garden. And once man ate of it which was not God's will for him to do, man saw the reality of things? We knew what Good and Evil was and saw that there was both in God and in ourselves?

It was not God's will for man to possess the knowledge of good and evil. Only God can help you to not think in terms of the knowledge of good and evil.

And that we should just kinda forget about it...?

Ignorance was Bliss?

I'm trying to wrap my head around this one, I've actually never heard it before.

• Agree
Reactions: bling
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there a single rogue molecule in the universe, which is not under His direct control?
no

He made it all; plus He is managing it to stay in existence.

God is the All-Worker, Creator, Father of spirits, All-loving, Family caring and sharing love > "God is love" (in 1 John 4:8&16)

Upvote 0