Is God punishing me?

123flower

Apr 22, 2012
✟25,520.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
My ocd is making vows to God. Last year I've made a silly vow. The vow was I think not ocd related. It felt genuine. But still very silly, something a normal person would not make. In the beginning I've tried fulfilling my vow, but I couldn't and it gave me stress. So I came to this forum and have read other similar stories of people and came to the conclusion that it is an illness. So I didn't keep my promise anymore. Shortly after that I had pains on different parts on my body. I experience pain for almost a half year now. Every time it's a different pain. I had toothache, neck pain, back pain, leg pain, arm pain, foot pain, headaches, ear pain, stomach pain. The pain comes for hours till a day. Sometimes a couple of days. Sometimes I have weeks without pain and then a new pain comes. The pain is mostly sharp, stingy, dull or bursts of pain. It comes suddenly and in attacks.

For the last couple of years I've gained a bit of weight. Then when the pains started I've tried eating more healthier. Because of that I've lost weight and reached my normal weight again. Also, I've experienced some stress and loneliness and sometimes I'm depressed. The blood test said I've lacked some vitamines so I have medicine for that. Also my physiotherapist said my body is tense.

So is God punishing me for breaking my vow? Or is it just a coincidence and is it all related to how my life is right now?

chapmic

Follower of Jesus
Supporter
Sep 16, 2014
✟50,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God is not punishing you, when the pains cry out to him to heal you. You can use this to get a closer relationship with God which is what he wants. Also don't make vows, Jesus said in the Gospel of Matthew not to make vows. The vows are making you feel guilty when you do not complete them. Jesus is forgiving and wants you to grow closer to him by your faith and love. I will be praying for you and God bless!

Upvote 0

chihwahli

Apr 29, 2012
✟20,987.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We don know each other, but I like to give a short notice:

God is loving and righteous. Punishment is not the right word if God permits a degree of illness and pain, etc. Above all God is loving, if you remember that Jesus , His Son suffered all the illnesses and sins of men. But that was not even the worst, the worst was that he was cut off from God's presence. We live in the time period of grace.
And we should remember that God is loving and righteous.

Anything in your thinking, choices, heart that is against God's will, should be placed under authority of Christ.

Our thinking is the main battlefield at this moment. Thoughts in your brain originate from 4 different sources: from God himself (He speaks to your newborn spirit and your newborn spirit to you, that's why you perceive it as: I think), from you what you want and think, from the flesh, from the devil.

If you let negative sources like your flesh or devil rule your mind it can make you sick. Why? Such thoughts become strongholds in your thinking and rule over you.
In your choice making, thinking, etc. And eventually what you think goes it's way down to your heart. Negative thinking can cause bodily problems.

The important thing to do is: evaluate your own thoughts and heart, pray about it.
ASk God to show you, if there are thoughts, feelings, etc, that have to be changed.

I was just in a Christian 10 day, fast and prayer place. Some old pains in your heart could cause you problems too. Pains that have not been cleaned up, but have become a stronghold in your live. A stronghold is this case is a negative thought or experience. To survive people tend to wrap that pain in with lies, to make it bearable. But that causes problems. Some common pains: a child is born, but not really wanted.
Or never experienced a mother or fathers love.

About your vows, if it's good to keep, tell God that you want to keep it again.
There is always a way to go back To our Heavenly Father. If you cannot keep it , because of some issues, be honest to God. People can give good advice, but God gives the best....

With God there is no such thing as coincidence or luck.

God bless you in Jesus name amen.

Upvote 0

strwy

JESUS is my rock & the ONLY way
Apr 10, 2015
✟8,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, HE is love

Here are just some instances in the New Testament where Jesus publicly demonstrated compassion on the people who were with Him or came out to find out about Him out of pure curiosity: 1. The woman at the well 2. Mary, the Prostitute
3. Mary and Martha regarding Lazarus
4. Feeding the 5000
5. Children
6. Blind man
7. Roman Soldier
8. Matthew the Tax Collector
9. Paul first known as Saul who persecuted Christians
10. The leader’s daughter who was dying/dead.
In each of these instances, Jesus showed His true nature regardless of the lifestyle, race, religion, gender or age.

Ragarding #1 it was strange enough for Jesus to talk to the woman at the well because her faith was different than His. –
Samaritans were completely forbidden by the Jews – in the Jews’ eyes, Samaritans were sinners - but that had no bearing on Jesus compassion on her.
So Jesus showed compassion on a person who was first a woman, second a sinner and third a Samaritan.



Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:

But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

John 4:13-14King James Version (KJV)
_____ (¯`v´¯)_ _____ (¯`v´¯)
____ (¯`(♥)´¯) _____(¯`(♥)´¯)
___¶¶ (_.^._)¶¶__¶_¶¶(_.^._)¶¶
_¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶__¶¶¶¶¶(¯`v´¯)¶
¶¶¶¶ .........LOVE,....¶¶¶(¯`(♥)´¯)¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶....Strwy.....¶¶¶(_.^._)¶¶
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶(¯`v´¯)¶¶¶¶¶
_¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶(¯`(♥)´¯)¶¶¶
___¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶(_.^._)¶¶
______¶¶¶¶¶¶(¯`v´¯)¶¶¶¶¶
________¶¶¶(¯`(♥)´¯)¶¶
___________¶(_.^._)¶
____________ ¶¶¶¶¶
_____________¶¶’

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
My ocd is making vows to God. Last year I've made a silly vow. The vow was I think not ocd related. It felt genuine. But still very silly, something a normal person would not make. In the beginning I've tried fulfilling my vow, but I couldn't and it gave me stress. So I came to this forum and have read other similar stories of people and came to the conclusion that it is an illness. So I didn't keep my promise anymore. Shortly after that I had pains on different parts on my body. I experience pain for almost a half year now. Every time it's a different pain. I had toothache, neck pain, back pain, leg pain, arm pain, foot pain, headaches, ear pain, stomach pain. The pain comes for hours till a day. Sometimes a couple of days. Sometimes I have weeks without pain and then a new pain comes. The pain is mostly sharp, stingy, dull or bursts of pain. It comes suddenly and in attacks.

For the last couple of years I've gained a bit of weight. Then when the pains started I've tried eating more healthier. Because of that I've lost weight and reached my normal weight again. Also, I've experienced some stress and loneliness and sometimes I'm depressed. The blood test said I've lacked some vitamines so I have medicine for that. Also my physiotherapist said my body is tense.

So is God punishing me for breaking my vow? Or is it just a coincidence and is it all related to how my life is right now?

1Jn 2:2 GNB
(2) And Christ himself is the means by which our sins are forgiven, and not our sins only, but also the sins of everyone.

that includes broken vows; God doesn't punish anyone - Jesus took our punishment so that we could take His blessing.

Mat 5:33-37 KJV
(33) Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
(34) But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
(35) Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
(36) Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
(37) But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

stop making vows; strive instead to hear God's leading and follow it.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi 123,

The tenseness and pains in your body may be due not to the breaking of the vow, per se, but more deeply, to taking the responsibility and stress of your salvation onto yourself. And this works mentality can also be reflected in a propensity to make vows. I think that that is the reason Jesus tells us not to make them: "for you cannot make one hair white or black" -Matt 5:36. The true work of God is done by Him working in us (Php 2.12-13). As His colaborers our job is to be in yielded submission and let Him take the lead and do the work. That's not to say our part is always easy, but at its root the pressure is taken off us:​
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” -mt 11.28-30

So maybe this is all a wake-up call to return to your continual sabbath rest in Christ (Heb 4). Let the peace of Christ return to yourself, and rejoice in the salvation He so freely has given you in love.

God bless,
Paul

Upvote 0