Is God omnipotent?

Is God omnipotent?

• Yes, God has power over everything and WILLS everything.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Yes, God has power over everything but DOESN'T will everything.

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • No, God doesn't have power over everything.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, God has power over everything and WILLS everything that is possible.

• Yes, God has power over everything but DOESN'T will everything that is possible.

• Total voters

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have started this thread to show that all Christians believe God is omnipotent. Christians just have a different view of what omnipotens means.

It's like when an agnostic friend asked me if God could make a squared circle. I said: "No!" Then he said that God wasn't all mighty. If God can't do illogical things that is against His nature, that doesn't have to mean He isn't all mighty. Me and my friend just had different views of what all mighty means, it doesn't mean his or my view must be more correct.

We'll see what the poll says, if my thinking is right.

Edit: I just used the squared circle example to show we can have different meaning of the same word, and that one view doesn't have to be more correct than the other. The choice "God Wills everything"- alternative in the poll was not meant as He wills impossible things, but that He wills everything possible. Added two new choices, since I can't change old ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: public hermit

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If God had power over peoples sin then no one would have sin. God has Providence in that he can organize us even though we are free to be ourselves. That's why there is a hell and there is a heaven. the Kingdom of God has not fully come about because even though God is willing man is not always willing.

God is certainly omnipotent but I don't know if there is a correct choice for me to select in the poll since God Wills man's freedom and man's Freedom can give birth to evil, which God does not will.

God has sovereignty in ways that we certainly do not have but God does not have sovereignty over my own freedom because if my freedom was his then I would not exist, only God would. If I had no freedom I could never thirst or hunger for righteousness or wisdom and so I could never receive the truth and grace of God which sets me free and which enlightens my own freedom to be in harmony with God.

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have started this thread to show that all Christians believe God is omnipotent. Christians just have a different view of what omnipotens means.

It's like when an agnostic friend asked me if God could make a squared circle. I said: "No!" Then he said that God wasn't all mighty. If God can't do illogical things that is against His nature, that doesn't have to mean He isn't all mighty. Me and my friend just had different views of what all mighty means, it doesn't mean his or my view must be more correct.

ye it's play on words tbh
yes God is powerfull
and no He can't do all things

it's not like he wills something and it doesnt happen cuz he lacks power to do it , its just that he can't will against his own nature

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

omnipotent

well .... He created the universe and everything in it .... so of course He is
omnipotent

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus Christ is the Lord of all. God has all in control in relation to Jesus and God's purpose with Christ.

Love is almighty to do whatever love pleases to do.

God is almighty to do what He pleases to do, for His love purpose. He is in control of evil, for His love benefit . . . including like how He used the crucifixion of Christ for His all-loving good.

And what matters for us is that God shares this power with us, in His love and peace almighty, guiding us so we are unstoppable to do what God is committed to doing with us . . . including overcoming evil howsoever He pleases >

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:21)

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @zoidar, by omnipotence we mean that God can do anything .. that can be done.

Can He make a square circle? No, because that cannot be done (unless He changes the nature of the universe itself such that a geometric shape with four corners and four even sides is referred to as a circle instead of a square).

Can He make a rock so big that He can't lift it. No, because (again) while God can do ANYTHING than can be done, He cannot do what cannot be done.

God bless you!

--David

• Agree
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I did not vote because there is another way to look at His Omnipotence. Our Father does have limitless power and He does have a "will" over everything. He willed man to have a choice.
Be blessed.

• Agree
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Can God lie or, horrible thought, commit suicide? Perhaps He could but I think we can categorically say that he wouldn't because they would be against His nature.

There are also logical puzzles such as can He create a universe that contains both an immovable object and an irresistible force. There may be some good philosophical answers to this but on the face of it it seems that He can't.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ye it's play on words tbh
yes God is powerfull
and no He can't do all things

it's not like he wills something and it doesnt happen cuz he lacks power to do it , its just that he can't will against his own nature

I just used the squared circle example to show we can have different meaning of the same word, and that one view doesn't have to be more correct than the other. The choice "God Wills everything" in the poll was not meant as He wills impossible things, but that He wills everything possible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,054.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I did not vote because there is another way to look at His Omnipotence. Our Father does have limitless power and He does have a "will" over everything. He willed man to have a choice.
Be blessed.

I think the second alternative fits that. God wills people to have a free choice, but he doesn't will everything they choose, does He?

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...It's like when an agnostic friend asked me if God could make a squared circle. ...

Even I could do that, so it should not be a problem to the one who made this world.

I believe God is omnipotent and so can do whatever He wants and has power over all.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's like when an agnostic friend asked me if God could make a squared circle. I said: "No!" Then he said that God wasn't all mighty.

But this is just a trick with words, not a real possibility. Since it doesn't actually exist as a possibility, we cannot ask for it to be done.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the second alternative fits that. God wills people to have a free choice, but he doesn't will everything they choose, does He?
He can not will free choice then turn around and will those very choices. So no.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nothing is above God. God is before and greater than possibility. We Mortals are confused and believe that anyone can go against God because we see a tiny sliver of reality. A greater view of reality will show that the greater workings are all in unity with God and darkness was a hiccup that Grace danced with.

Upvote 0