Birmingham
✟9,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
“And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature” (Mark 16:15)

The phrase, “παση τη κτισει”, means, “to every creature”. The use of the singular, “παση” is important, as it means that the Gospel Message is not simply a “general” one, but to “every” human being!. This is exactly what the Apostle Paul says in Colossians 1:23, “if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the Gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister”

There are some who will argue from their theology, that all this means, is, that inatially the Gospel Messsage was intended for the Jews only, and thereafter to the Gentiles also. However, while this is true, this does not mean that there is any “limitation” on who the Gospel was to be preached to. The entire world consists of just two groups, Jews and Gentiles. If you were the one, then you were not the other. But, this is the sum-total of the entire human race, and not the “majority”, or any other distinction.

What is The Gospel Message that we are to proclaim to the entire human race? Paul tells us this in 1 Corinthians 15:

“Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the Gospel which I preached to you... For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures” (1, 3, 4)

Here it is very clear, that the Gospel Message that we are to proclaim to the entire world, is, “Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures”

The Gospel Message is a universal one, to be proclamied to not just some select groups, but to the entire human race, as the Bible clearly tells us. It is important to know what this Message consists of Biblically. “that Christ died for our sins”. It is clear from this, that the OUR must include the entire human race that this Gospel Message is to be proclaimed to. There is nothing here to suggest that it is only for the “elect”! Paul says in verse 11, “Therefore, whether it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed”. That this Message had to be “believed” in, “by which you are also saved” (verse 2). In Acts chapter 13 we read of Paul’s preaching the Gospel to some Jews, “Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, “It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles” (v.46). These Jews “rejected” this Gospel Message, and “considered themselves unworthy of eternal life”, not what God “considered”. Here we have the two groups, the Jews, and the Gentiles (non Jews), who are the entire human race.

It is the One Gospel Message of Salvation from sins in the Lord Jesus Christ, that is to be proclaimed to the entire human race. There is no indication that this Message is to be proclaimed to any “select” few, as some falsly teach. This Gospel, Good News, is only that of Salvation, and not of damnation, which is not really “Good News” for anyone. If, as some suppose, that the Gospel of Salvation is intended for the “elect” only, then why does the Lord Jesus Christ, the Apostle Paul, and others, use universal language, which is clearly for the entire human race? Paul is very clear of this in Romans 11:32, “For God has shut up all in disobedience, so that He may show mercy to all”. God has “concluded” that the entire human race (τους παντας) is guilty of “disobedience”, the very sin that Adam and Eve were guilty of. Again, contextually we read of the Jews and Gentiles, which, as we know, are the sum-total of the human race. There is no exception. Paul then goes on to say, “that He may show mercy to all”. Notice that the Greek here is identical to the first part, “τους παντας”. This does not teach universal salvation, which is very clear from Paul’s use of “ελεηση”, which is in the subjunctive mood, “MIGHT (not WILL) show mercy”. The sinner must “repent and believe in the Gospel” (Mark 1:15), before they can be saved, as these are the two “conditions” that God has placed for any sinners salvation.

If the Gospel Message is universal, as the Bible clearly teaches, then, it must mean that the Death of Jesus Christ is also universal, as Paul has told us what this Gospel is, “that Christ died for our sins”, which is clearly universal! To suggest otherwise, is to say that God is insincere, when He commands “that the Christ would suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations (παντα τα εθνη), beginning from Jerusalem” (Luke 24:46-47) Both the Jews and the Gentiles, the entire human race!

“He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him” (John 3:36)

Last edited:

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Probably not to cats ...

Two dogs and a cat appeared in heaven and were seeking admission. God Himself decided to hear their appeal from His judgement seat.
The St Bernard said "I was a valued rescue dog and helped find those nuns after the avalanche."
"Fine then, you're in," said God.
The collie said, "I was always faithful to my master and brought the family together when they were down."
"Sounds wonderful," said God. "Welcome."
Then it was the cat's turn. "Why should we let you in?" asked God.
"Well actually, I think you're in my chair."

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟461,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
do you mean the OP, or comments?

I just don’t get what it has to do with the SOP of this forum. We’re traditional Christians like Anglicans, Assyrians, Baptists, Congregationalists, Eastern Orthodox, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Moravians, Oriental Orthodox, Presbyterians, Reformed, Roman Catholics, and Waldensians, among other traditional denominations; we are the people who celebrate liturgies and read the Bible using lectionaries; our churches are the traditional mainline churches, so of course we believe the Gospel offer is genuine.

If anyone here rejected the authenticity of the Good News they would not be Christian.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Two dogs and a cat appeared in heaven and were seeking admission. God Himself decided to hear their appeal from His judgement seat.
The St Bernard said "I was a valued rescue dog and helped find those nuns after the avalanche."
"Fine then, you're in," said God.
The collie said, "I was always faithful to my master and brought the family together when they were down."
"Sounds wonderful," said God. "Welcome."
Then it was the cat's turn. "Why should we let you in?" asked God.
"Well actually, I think you're in my chair."
:D

Upvote 0

In-Christ-Alone

Feb 28, 2021
Birmingham
✟9,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just don’t get what it has to do with the SOP of this forum. We’re traditional Christians like Anglicans, Assyrians, Baptists, Congregationalists, Eastern Orthodox, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Moravians, Oriental Orthodox, Presbyterians, Reformed, Roman Catholics, and Waldensians, among other traditional denominations; we are the people who celebrate liturgies and read the Bible using lectionaries; our churches are the traditional mainline churches, so of course we believe the Gospel offer is genuine.

If anyone here rejected the authenticity of the Good News they would not be Christian.

you have failed to grasp what I have said in the OP!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bpd_stl

Mar 2, 2021
St. Louis
✟10,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
“And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature” (Mark 16:15)

The phrase, “παση τη κτισει”, means, “to every creature”. The use of the singular, “παση” is important, as it means that the Gospel Message is not simply a “general” one, but to “every” human being!. This is exactly what the Apostle Paul says in Colossians 1:23, “if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the Gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister”

There are some who will argue from their theology, that all this means, is, that inatially the Gospel Messsage was intended for the Jews only, and thereafter to the Gentiles also. However, while this is true, this does not mean that there is any “limitation” on who the Gospel was to be preached to. The entire world consists of just two groups, Jews and Gentiles. If you were the one, then you were not the other. But, this is the sum-total of the entire human race, and not the “majority”, or any other distinction.

What is The Gospel Message that we are to proclaim to the entire human race? Paul tells us this in 1 Corinthians 15:

“Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the Gospel which I preached to you... For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures” (1, 3, 4)

Here it is very clear, that the Gospel Message that we are to proclaim to the entire world, is, “Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures”

The Gospel Message is a universal one, to be proclamied to not just some select groups, but to the entire human race, as the Bible clearly tells us. It is important to know what this Message consists of Biblically. “that Christ died for our sins”. It is clear from this, that the OUR must include the entire human race that this Gospel Message is to be proclaimed to. There is nothing here to suggest that it is only for the “elect”! Paul says in verse 11, “Therefore, whether it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed”. That this Message had to be “believed” in, “by which you are also saved” (verse 2). In Acts chapter 13 we read of Paul’s preaching the Gospel to some Jews, “Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, “It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles” (v.46). These Jews “rejected” this Gospel Message, and “considered themselves unworthy of eternal life”, not what God “considered”. Here we have the two groups, the Jews, and the Gentiles (non Jews), who are the entire human race.

It is the One Gospel Message of Salvation from sins in the Lord Jesus Christ, that is to be proclaimed to the entire human race. There is no indication that this Message is to be proclaimed to any “select” few, as some falsly teach. This Gospel, Good News, is only that of Salvation, and not of damnation, which is not really “Good News” for anyone. If, as some suppose, that the Gospel of Salvation is intended for the “elect” only, then why does the Lord Jesus Christ, the Apostle Paul, and others, use universal language, which is clearly for the entire human race? Paul is very clear of this in Romans 11:32, “For God has shut up all in disobedience, so that He may show mercy to all”. God has “concluded” that the entire human race (τους παντας) is guilty of “disobedience”, the very sin that Adam and Eve were guilty of. Again, contextually we read of the Jews and Gentiles, which, as we know, are the sum-total of the human race. There is no exception. Paul then goes on to say, “that He may show mercy to all”. Notice that the Greek here is identical to the first part, “τους παντας”. This does not teach universal salvation, which is very clear from Paul’s use of “ελεηση”, which is in the subjunctive mood, “MIGHT (not WILL) show mercy”. The sinner must “repent and believe in the Gospel” (Mark 1:15), before they can be saved, as these are the two “conditions” that God has placed for any sinners salvation.

If the Gospel Message is universal, as the Bible clearly teaches, then, it must mean that the Death of Jesus Christ is also universal, as Paul has told us what this Gospel is, “that Christ died for our sins”, which is clearly universal! To suggest otherwise, is to say that God is insincere, when He commands “that the Christ would suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations (παντα τα εθνη), beginning from Jerusalem” (Luke 24:46-47) Both the Jews and the Gentiles, the entire human race!

“He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him” (John 3:36)

I have re-read your post a couple times, in case I missed something.

Frankly, I don't see any sort of question posed to discuss. Please clarify what exactly you are asking.

Upvote 0

In-Christ-Alone

Feb 28, 2021
Birmingham
✟9,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have re-read your post a couple times, in case I missed something.

Frankly, I don't see any sort of question posed to discuss. Please clarify what exactly you are asking.

it is very detailed and easy to follow. what problems are you having understanding what I have written?

Upvote 0

bpd_stl

Mar 2, 2021
St. Louis
✟10,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
it is very detailed and easy to follow. what problems are you having understanding what I have written?

Well, you seemed to answer your own "question"...

[...]
[...]
The Gospel Message is a universal one, to be proclamied to not just some select groups, but to the entire human race, as the Bible clearly tells us. It is important to know what this Message consists of Biblically.

It is the One Gospel Message of Salvation from sins in the Lord Jesus Christ, that is to be proclaimed to the entire human race. There is no indication that this Message is to be proclaimed to any “select” few, as some falsly teach.
[...]

I don't think any educated Christian, regardless of confession/denomination, believes that the Gospel was meant only for the Jews or a select group. Who "falsely" teaches this?

Upvote 0

In-Christ-Alone

Feb 28, 2021
Birmingham
✟9,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, you seemed to answer your own "question"...

I don't think any educated Christian, regardless of confession/denomination, believes that the Gospel was meant only for the Jews or a select group. Who "falsely" teaches this?

you obviously don't know about Reformed/Calvinistic theology?

Upvote 0

bpd_stl

Mar 2, 2021
St. Louis
✟10,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
you obviously don't know about Reformed/Calvinistic theology?

I do. Now we're getting somewhere. No offense, but you should have stated that upfront. Perhaps stalwart Calvinists on this forum should weigh in now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

In-Christ-Alone

Feb 28, 2021
Birmingham
✟9,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do. Now we're getting somewhere. No offense, but you should have stated that upfront. Perhaps stalwart Calvinists on this forum should weigh in now.

I am NOT Reformed or Calvinistic in my theology, which I find an offense to the Lord on their teaching, that salvation is only for a select few. This is anathema!

Reactions: bpd_stl
Upvote 0

bpd_stl

Mar 2, 2021
St. Louis
✟10,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I am NOT Reformed or Calvinistic in my theology, which I find an offense to the Lord on their teaching, that salvation is only for a select few. This is anathema!

I agree whole-heartedly! Christ came to save ALL people, no exceptions.

Upvote 0

In-Christ-Alone

Feb 28, 2021
Birmingham
✟9,780.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christ came to save ALL people, no exceptions

is this really true? what about Judas? What about those who may follow his way, and walk away from their faith? I think that it is better to say that Jesus Died for the entire human race, as it sound from what you are saying, that He came "to save ALL people", and because "ALL people" will not be saved, that somehow He failed? Language is very important

Upvote 0