Is God Entitled to Take Lives?

Do you feel He is entitled to kill peoples?

• yes

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

thomas_t

Blessings Collector
Nov 9, 2019
Bamberg
✟41,404.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In another thread an atheist poster had doubts on this.
For me, the answer is clear: God made lives, he can take them, too. Even if it's the lives of entire peoples.
God shouldn't be restricted to keep the same laws that humans (should) keep, I think.

Last time this topic came up, there was a comparison between God and a dictator that has a very bad reputation.
To keep this thread open... even if you think this sort of comparison is rightly made, don't post it please.
You could write "God shouldn't kill entire peoples!" instead, if you feel this is right.

I hope this regulation is ok for you and you can still speak your mind freely.

Thomas

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For me, the answer is clear: God made lives, he can take them, too. Even if it's the lives of entire peoples.
God shouldn't be restricted to keep the same laws that humans (should) keep, I think.

Last time this topic came up, there was a comparison between God and a dictator that has a very bad reputation.
To keep this thread open... even if you think this sort of comparison is rightly made, don't post it please.
You could write "God shouldn't kill entire peoples!" instead, if you feel this is right.

Thomas

It's the difference between a murderer and an executioner. A murderer takes life without lawful authority. An executioner takes life life with lawful authority.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thomas

It's a difficult question.
I don't think the dictator comparison is all that useful, for one thing a dictator is not the creator of the people under him or her. Dictators have their own rationales for killing, which generally tend to be about preserving their own power or (ostensibly) removing influences or threats to the polictical system they believe in, as all rulers do to one extent or another, if we include killing people in other nations.
God doesn't need to kill people to maintain his power. In terms of influences and threats, in the OT the Israelites were comanded to remain 'separate and apart' from other people, which sometimes meant fighting with and killing other peoples. Christians on the other hand are commanded not to fight against their enemies, and the whole battle to resist or remove threat and influence is reconfigured as a 'spiritual' battle.
There are instances in the bible of God apparently directly intervening to kill people, usually in fairly large groups. These include instances of God obliterating people he considers to be 'too far gone' in some sense, as in Sodom and Gomorrah, or whose devotion has switched from him to some other deity. I suppose the question is who decides what God is entitled to do, and by what criteria? If there ever has been a leader of any major power who didn't make decisions resulting in many deaths, that person would be an extreme rarity. Death is part of human existance, including violent death. It happens - it can't really not happen, not in any model of human existance that has yet existed anyway. Nicolas Gomez Davila calls violence 'the cruel minister of the limited nature of things [as they are]', and I don't think he's wrong in that description. It is apparent then that any ruler will need to make some life and death choices.
I think the only questions are of degree and purpose - what is necessary and for what purpose, and what consitutes a purpose that grants entitlement? In our own time this is a valid question, we all live in countries whose armed forces kill people in order to maintain our way of life, and that is far from being a simple issue.
The question of entitlement and what might be thought of as acceptable is addressed in stories about King David's life. His behaviour with Bathsheba and her husband was entirely normal for a ruler in many periods of time in the ancient world, the fact that it is pulled into sharp focus as an immoral act puts Hebrew thinking about that kind of behaviour at odds with how the same situation may have been viewed within a different tribal kingdom or religious/ethnic group at the time. Was David entitled to do what he wanted with his subjects? Apparently not. Is God entitled to do what he wants with creatures he made? Well, one answer is that he doesn't, always. According to the bible he restrains himself, parlays with men, as with Abraham over S/G, warns, informs and allows time for change and so on. The degree is the limit at which God appears to consider it necessary to act, so perhaps it could be said that God, being able to see the ultimate big picture, is entitled to make that kind of decision, in the same way in which a national leader might decide when is the right time to intervene in some conflict, or start one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I am surprised this is even a question. If the Christian God exists (which I do not accept as plausible) of course he can do whatever he wishes to do. Only if he has self-imposed a prohibition on such actions would it be impossible for him.

I have chosen not to vote in your poll. If the Christian God exists (I still deny he's plausible) then we would have no right to question his entitlements. That's not something we would be entitled to do. I'm not sure that such a questioning wouldn't come dangerously close to blasphemy.

Upvote 0

thomas_t

Blessings Collector
Nov 9, 2019
Bamberg
✟41,404.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am surprised this is even a question.
I should rephrase it: "how can God be good if he kills entire peoples?"
Some people cast doubt on God being good and having killed entire tribes.
For me the answer is equally clear: An artist destroying (part of) his own work doesn't imply he can't be good as an artist.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God made lives, he can take them

We are talking about the All powerfull, All knowing, All wise, All holy All just and All merciful Creator God, not some tinpot bit part of a multitude of god's competing for power and influence.

He spoke and the universe came into being. That is a glimpse of his power.

He created life and in his time he will end each life. ( Something those who whine about God's justice would do well to remember )

He will also judge each and every life for the good and bad deeds but principally for how they have responded to Jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I should rephrase it: "how can God be good if he kills entire peoples?"
Some people cast doubt on God being good and having killed entire tribes.
For me the answer is equally clear: An artist destroying (part of) his own work doesn't imply he can't be good as an artist.
Well, that's an entirely different question. Thank you for your clarification.

My answer to your new question is that such a God would not be good in the manner in which I understand Jesus viewed goodness. This conflict between the Old and New Testament expressions of God is one of the factors that increased my doubts as to the authenticity of Scripture as the Word of God.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure that such a questioning wouldn't come dangerously close to blasphemy.

I’m not so sure about that. The books of Job and Jonah are basically long questions about God’s entitlement to act as he sees fit. David and other Psalmists ask searching questions about why God does or doesn’t do this or that thing. Jonah and Elijah, who question God’s judgement, receive very gentle responses. God even asks Abraham what he thinks he should do regarding Sodom and Gomorrah. There are other examples. Maybe there’s some fire and brimstone Presbyterian influence in that idea?

Reactions: thomas_t
Upvote 0

thomas_t

Blessings Collector
Nov 9, 2019
Bamberg
✟41,404.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, that's an entirely different question.
The original question also entailed the connotation of whether or not God is entitled to do it.
If you start thinking of comparisons between God and earthly rulers killing other people, entitlement is automatically being brought into the discussion, as I see it.
But I think for most people, the new question is at the heart of the issue.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you start thinking of comparisons between God and earthly rulers killing other people, entitlement is automatically being brought into the discussion, as I see it.

The new question being is God good if he causes deaths do you mean? I’m not sure how you can separate God’s actions, as we know him, from the sphere of human behaviour. Everything that we are able to grasp about God takes place within that sphere. It seems to me that a God able to intervene in human affairs has 2 basic choices - don’t intervene at all, just let whatever happens happen, or intervene on the understanding that at some point you will need to make decisions about who survives and who doesn’t. What is a ‘good’ choice in that scenario? If a ruler of any kind makes choices about who will die between this group and that group (there is no third option that takes death off the table altogether within the world as we know it) then in what sense would one choice be bad, and the other good?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrsFoundit

Dec 5, 2019
South
✟40,776.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Oh yes this, and it is not only "doesn't imply he can't be good as an artist". The artist is not stealing if said artist throws away a whole section of their own work. If the artist takes the project back to alter it, they are not even destroying it, but improving it.

Non-believers often have a very different perspective on what our lives are, if there is no Creator in a persons world view, no one has the intellectual property or other rights over our lives. If "ideas" are defined as a "thing which does not exist", every creative professional should be in prison for fraud or theft. If there is a Creator, as is in a Christian world view, the creation does not own the Creator.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I’m not so sure about that. The books of Job and Jonah are basically long questions about God’s entitlement to act as he sees fit. David and other Psalmists ask searching questions about why God does or doesn’t do this or that thing. Jonah and Elijah, who question God’s judgement, receive very gentle responses. God even asks Abraham what he thinks he should do regarding Sodom and Gomorrah. There are other examples. Maybe there’s some fire and brimstone Presbyterian influence in that idea?
The Church of Scotland I was raised in, though Presbyterian, was generally quite mellow. :)
My (premeptive) use of "I'm not sure" was intended to convey two thoughts. First, this was an opinion. Second, I am not sufficiently well versed in relevant Scripture to make a properly informed opinion, but can express suspicions.

The original question also entailed the connotation of whether or not God is entitled to do it.
I think discussion of entitlement is certainly relevant to the actions of Earthly rulers. I continue to doubt the right of a believer to question the entitlement of God, which seems to me has to be a given, else he would not be omnipotent etc.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Church of Scotland I was raised in, though Presbyterian, was generally quite mellow. :)
My (premeptive) use of "I'm not sure" was intended to convey two thoughts. First, this was an opinion. Second, I am not sufficiently well versed in relevant Scripture to make a properly informed opinion, but can express suspicions.

I think discussion of entitlement is certainly relevant to the actions of Earthly rulers. I continue to doubt the right of a believer to question the entitlement of God, which seems to me has to be a given, else he would not be omnipotent etc.

To be fair the answer to the question of God's entitlement to act, or not act, and the rightness of his judgement is always in God's favour, but there's no indication in the Bible that he objects to those questions being asked, as opposed to 'total' accusations about his fundamental character and the intent that comes out of that, or where he believes he is being misrepresented. He doesn't react well to that, in the bible.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,721.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
A question like this betrays a lack of understanding of God's Law and Gospel - it betrays a low view of sin. So it's unsurprising that this kind of question comes from an atheist.

If someone were to ask this, I think it could be helpful to start with explaining that no one cares more about the sanctity of life than God. God is supremely good and the source of all that is good. He is the creator of life. He is also supremely righteous and He hates all unrighteousness, so when it comes to the taking of life, there are three things we should understand:

1. Death is not God's design. And contrary to popular belief, death is not natural. It's unnatural and it's a direct consequence of our sin and rebellion. It's because we are evil that we die.

2. God punishes sinners. That God punishes evil is in and of itself a good and righteous thing. If God didn't punish sinners, He wouldn't be good or righteous. Moreover, He is also supremely loving and merciful in suffering the full punishment in our place, in the person of Jesus Christ, His Son.

3. God can destroy the body for the purpose of resurrecting them. We can think about the martyrs, but Jesus is the best example of this, and we know that whoever believes in His name also die and rise to life in Him. So in this sense, while death is not something we should celebrate in and of itself, we can celebrate the joyful resurrection.

So, although death is not good, God is good and uses it for good. More importantly, Christ has conquered death, sin and hell, and so we may joyfully sing "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?"

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What are human's entitled to in respect to God? Are human's entitled to life? I would have to say they are not. For, what can the non-existent deserve or expect to deserve or have a right to? But, once life has been given, then what might humans be entitled to in regards to the life that has been given? Is God obligated to give humans a certain kind of life? That is a more difficult question. It doesn't make sense that God should be obligated to give humans a life where everything they want is given to the nth degree. God is not the servant of humanity. But, what about life free from suffering and evil, or life that has no limit?

I think an answer to that question depends in part on how we understand human responsibility for the sin and evil in this world, from which much (not all) suffering comes. If we are taking the scriptural witness into account, then humanity has significant responsibility for sin and evil. God created humanity to live in a particular way, and humans have done a horrible job at doing that. In fact, the idea is, God has set a limit to existence (death and general finitude) precisely because human sin and evil are ultimately incommensurate with life as God intended it to be lived.

All this to say, God "kills" all of us. The details of how individuals (or groups) experience their departure is certainly significant, but all death must be seen in the overall determination by God to not let humanity pass a certain limit. And, the promise that the limit that has been set (death and finitude) is not an ultimate limit is significant, as well. The general idea is that God set out to create life, and the limits of death and finitude are not God abandoning the project, but are being used to further serve God's ultimate goal of never ending life, lived as God intended.

Is God entitled to "kill" peoples? I find the question to become somewhat nonsensical if we first ask, "Are peoples entitled to life?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MrsFoundit

Dec 5, 2019
South
✟40,776.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is God entitled to "kill" peoples? I find the question to become somewhat nonsensical if we first ask, "Are peoples entitled to life?"

Absolutely, and no people are not entitled to life. People are entitled not be killed by other people.

If people are entitled to life someone must be blamed for every single death. I do not see any call for this as social policy.

• Useful
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
If the Christian God exists, then souls and the Christian afterlife exists. The disposition of the soul would be the important factor, not the disposition of the body. What God does to the bodies would be inconsequential in the long run. It's what he does to the souls that would display His character.

So I'd say yes, God is entitled to kill people, and it wouldn't conflict with God being good.

• Useful
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It's the difference between a murderer and an executioner. A murderer takes life without lawful authority. An executioner takes life life with lawful authority.
Yeah, but executioners are not the type of people you would want to be anywhere near!

Especially when they could decide to execute you on a whim and everyone would cheer him on.

Upvote 0