California
✟262,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all.I was just wondering,if I have a urge to read my bible,or to pray,is that God drawing me to a closer relationship with him?Sometimes I get urges to go and watch my church sermons.A few weeks ago,I watched one of my church sermons,and when I clicked on the video,the camera was pointed at me reading my bible in church.Another time,my pastor in the video said whoever is watching this live stream,lift your hands and God will touch you through the airways.I just do not think this is all a coincidence.Is God calling me?

Sure! God uses all things to call people/believers to Himself. He knows what will get someone’s attention. When your heart calls you, answer the call, and you will be blessed beyond measure.

Much love in Christ, Not me

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everyone can get a huge amount out of reading the Bible. Some who've been studying Scripture for decades can still get a huge amount out of reading the Bible. Our goal on earth is to know Jesus, and the #1 best way is to study the Bible, bolstered by doing what Jesus said is best for us and listening to spiritually mature teachers. It's pretty easy to watch YouTube video sermons by people like John Piper, Charles Stanley, R.C. Sproul, Wayne Grudem, etc. There's many other good teachers, but there's also bad ones.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself." John 12:32

When I first became a Christian I remember there were times a pastor would be teaching and it was as if he were talking directly to me. Then later on when I went to teacher training class there were times when God would give me something for individual people. Everyone could learn from what I was saying but it was extra special for an individual there at the time.

Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all.I was just wondering,if I have a urge to read my bible,or to pray,is that God drawing me to a closer relationship with him?Sometimes I get urges to go and watch my church sermons.A few weeks ago,I watched one of my church sermons,and when I clicked on the video,the camera was pointed at me reading my bible in church.Another time,my pastor in the video said whoever is watching this live stream,lift your hands and God will touch you through the airways.I just do not think this is all a coincidence.Is God calling me?
It sure does sound to me like God is calling you. I have had many of the same kind of urges to know God more in my life. The Bible itself calls us to be thirsty for knowledge of God. "As newborn babes, long for the pure milk of the Word that you may grow thereby."
TD:)

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Another time,my pastor in the video said whoever is watching this live stream,lift your hands and God will touch you through the airways

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you mean?If you are not gonna answer the question or try to troll,please just leave.

Sorry, it wasn't intended as a troll. The point I was trying to make is that you've said several things that tell me that you're relying on emotion and coincidence to make spiritual decisions: "had an urge to pray/read the bible/watch church sermons...", the televangelist you watched.

The Christian faith is a faith based on fact. As Saint Paul put it (paraphrasing) if Jesus didn't walk out of that grave 2000 years ago in absolute defiance of death, torture, Rome, and the Sanhedrin we are the most wretched among men because we are living a lie.

Becoming a Christian involves acknowledging the truth of the claims of the Bible, believing them, and (critically) conforming your life to live in accordance with them. Remember, Satan and his minions know step 1 and 2 to be true, but they rebel against God and don't take step 3.

The problem with emotionalism in the Christian faith is that (as a friend of mine said when I was baptized) "people leak". All of us have emotional highs and lows. Our feelings and urges are based on our hearts, which scripture says is deceitfully wicked. Furthermore, they are generally not open to any verification. Perhaps most importantly, when the persecution and hard times that are part of any life come, a faith based on emotion is typically driven further from God, while a faith based on fact is driven closer to Him.

The Mormon missionary will tell you to read the Book of Mormon and if you feel a burning in the bosom that you should convert because it's the Holy Spirit. But that is not a reliable guide and has led millions into error.

I'm not saying that God isn't calling you - His spirit draws all people - or that he never arranges the events of our lives in a certain way as the scriptures document many instances in which He did. It's just that our circumstances should not be the basis of our faith.

I hope that helps, that you continue to read the Bible, that you find a good local church, and that you grow in the faith.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, it wasn't intended as a troll. The point I was trying to make is that you've said several things that tell me that you're relying on emotion and coincidence to make spiritual decisions: "had an urge to pray/read the bible/watch church sermons...", the televangelist you watched.

The Christian faith is a faith based on fact. As Saint Paul put it (paraphrasing) if Jesus didn't walk out of that grave 2000 years ago in absolute defiance of death, torture, Rome, and the Sanhedrin we are the most wretched among men because we are living a lie.

Becoming a Christian involves acknowledging the truth of the claims of the Bible, believing them, and (critically) conforming your life to live in accordance with them. Remember, Satan and his minions know step 1 and 2 to be true, but they rebel against God and don't take step 3.

The problem with emotionalism in the Christian faith is that (as a friend of mine said when I was baptized) "people leak". All of us have emotional highs and lows. Our feelings and urges are based on our hearts, which scripture says is deceitfully wicked. Furthermore, they are generally not open to any verification. Perhaps most importantly, when the persecution and hard times that are part of any life come, a faith based on emotion is typically driven further from God, while a faith based on fact is driven closer to Him.

The Mormon missionary will tell you to read the Book of Mormon and if you feel a burning in the bosom that you should convert because it's the Holy Spirit. But that is not a reliable guide and has led millions into error.

I'm not saying that God isn't calling you - His spirit draws all people - or that he never arranges the events of our lives in a certain way as the scriptures document many instances in which He did. It's just that our circumstances should not be the basis of our faith.

I hope that helps, that you continue to read the Bible, that you find a good local church, and that you grow in the faith.

God Bless!
I see what you mean,sorry I took it the wrong way.Thanks for the response,I have just been confused on exactly how to go about walking this Christian walk.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I see what you mean,sorry I took it the wrong way.Thanks for the response,I have just been confused on exactly how to go about walking this Christian walk.
Another suggestion for you: every stable Christian commits to practicing the five common Christian disciplines:
1. Daily prayer and Bible reading
2. Weekly Bible studies
3. Memorization of scripture
4. Public worship (in church)
5. Fellowship with believers
This is for growth in faith and getting to know God better. It also helps for maintaining a commitment to love others when going through bad times.

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Another suggestion for you: every stable Christian commits to practicing the five common Christian disciplines:
1. Daily prayer and Bible reading
2. Weekly Bible studies
3. Memorization of scripture
4. Public worship (in church)
5. Fellowship with believers
This is for growth in faith and getting to know God better. It also helps for maintaining a commitment to love others when going through bad times.
Thank you.This really helps,I really need to work on #5 though,I am quite introverted and have a hard time making friends at times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟484,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God speaks to you through His Word. Go there and listen to His calling in that context.

I also tend to be introverted and find one of the best ways to connect with new people is by participating in some kind of service project together. When you're working on a project all the attention is on the work and not on you. That makes it easier to relax and get to know people.

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God speaks to you through His Word. Go there and listen to His calling in that context.

I also tend to be introverted and find one of the best ways to connect with new people is by participating in some kind of service project together. When you're working on a project all the attention is on the work and not on you. That makes it easier to relax and get to know people.
Thank you

Upvote 0