USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, we have desires. I don't believe all of our desires align with God's but through sanctification that begins to change. We may have areas that remain wholly ours that we haven't ceded to His influence.

As for unbelievers, it's more complicated. Most focus on their unbelief but rarely discover why they feel that way. It could be the result of negative experiences, abuse, or their upbringing. I pray for a person's needs. Unbelief is one of many things that may include. In most instances you are more effective through relationships and listening.

Reactions: Phil.Stein
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yahweh's Word answers each one of these questions, or leaves them unanswered because faith is required.

Man's tradition often answer all these questions, falsely.

In fact, man's false teachings far far outnumber the true teachings/ true teachers/ ever since the early centuries all the way through until Jesus Returns. i.e. the true Ekklesia have never come close in number to the unsaved and false except twice in the history of the world.

Thus, as Jesus Says Clearly, beware the deception of teachers.

Test everything in constant prayer and by Scripture, and do not believe anything , any message, until thus proven to be true in line with all Scripture , as Yahweh Says.

Do humans possess desires? Can a person who desires his own will instead of God's be changed by God? If he can't be changed why was he made that way? Do you pray for unbelievers?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, we have desires. I don't believe all of our desires align with God's but through sanctification that begins to change. We may have areas that remain wholly ours that we haven't ceded to His influence.

As for unbelievers, it's more complicated. Most focus on their unbelief but rarely discover why they feel that way. It could be the result of negative experiences, abuse, or their upbringing. I pray for a person's needs. Unbelief is one of many things that may include. In most instances you are more effective through relationships and listening.

Why would a human be more effective than God?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do humans possess desires? Can a person who desires his own will instead of God's be changed by God? If he can't be changed why was he made that way? Do you pray for unbelievers?

Can they be changed? Of course but unless for some specific reason, why would God tamper with choice? What is the good of believing something because we've been told to? Useless. We have to experience and find out for ourselves the reason to switch wills. Why once figuring out how backwards human thinking is with it self serving ways would we want to return to such a self defeating way of thinking. But no one can be taught to reject the world of man as Jesus said we should do. When it comes to grain and tares, we weed ourselves. That is why so many who don't seek for themselves remain firmly rooted in the self destructive ways of mankind while saying Lord Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why would a human be more effective than God?

I think you're misunderstanding me. So I'll put it another way.

You can approach someone through your convictions and have no effect. Or, you can feel an inner prompting to speak to the person. Or forge a connection that has nothing to do with faith. When you're dealing with unbelievers few will embrace the gospel through one discussion. And they're paying attention to your character and conversation more than you know.

I was in that place and I found my way back to God outside of Christian influence. The heavy handedness would have never worked. It would have sent me in the opposite direction. Only the Holy Spirit knows the condition of their soil.

Some people are so concerned about delivering the gospel and what the person really needs is a cup of a coffee and good conversation. It's a process and God's there from start to finish.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Yes, this is how God converts a sinner by changing his whole disposition, including the human will.

"I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules." - Ezekiel 36:26-27

It was entirely on the part of God that you responded to the preaching of the gospel, he effectually drew you to faith in Christ, that you may be saved.

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day." - John 6:44

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes, this is how God converts a sinner by changing his whole disposition, including the human will.

Once that sinner has decided to reject the will of man. We can be lead to the point of rejection, but ultimately the choice is still ours.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Once that sinner has decided to reject the will of man. We can be lead to the point of rejection, but ultimately the choice is still ours.

Your opinion has no weight, since you deny the authenticity and inspiration of the New Testament, ultimately denying all of Scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Who should robots obey then?

Shouldn't be a problem until they eat of the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Then we might have a better understanding of what God had to deal with. Maybe isolate them on their own planet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Shouldn't be a problem until they eat of the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Then we might have a better understanding of what God had to deal with. Maybe isolate them on their own planet.

I think they would only grow stronger and more dangerous if that was done.

• Haha
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,518.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think they would only grow stronger and more dangerous if that was done.
Possibly but we could always send someone disguised as a robot to convince them that those who stopped rebelling could live in peace while the others would end up scrapped and tossed in a lake of fire.

Come to think of it they might kill him but as predicted/prophesized in tv shows of the 70's we have the technology and we could rebuild him.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I think the Bible is clear that we have free will, that we choose whether or not to follow God, and that God will not force a person's will for the good.

And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. (Joshua 24:15). Kind of a ridiculous choice if there is no true choice. It’s clear you’ll have a choice whether to do God’s will or not.

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (1 Corinthians 10:13). Why provide a way of escape if you can’t escape, if you can’t choose to accept or reject temptation, to choose God’s ways or our own ways?

Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. (James 1:13-16) We tempt ourselves. We lure ourselves towards evil. God doesn’t do it.

God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will. (2 Timothy 2:25-26) It is clear here there is an interplay between the person choose and repenting, and coming to their senses, and God granting them repentance.

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, declares the Lord God. Repent and turn from all your transgressions, lest iniquity be your ruin. Cast away from you all the transgressions that you have committed, and make yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! Why will you die, O house of Israel? For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Lord God; so turn, and live. (Ezekiel 18:30-32) If God did not give free will, what is the point of His pleading?

Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. (Isaiah 55:6-7) Again, man can return. They can repent. God calling for us to repent makes no sense if there isn't at least some element of free will in there.

I pray for unbelievers. I was one, and I repented. If God saved one such as me, if by His grace I repented, then there is hope for anyone. I don't believe there was any virtue in my act, anymore then if I was dying of thirst in the desert and I drank the water someone offered me. But I admit I struggle with this. There are people I know who are very set in their sin, and short of God forcibly changing their will, I don't see any hope for them. And I don't believe God will forcibly change someone's will. But I pray, because God has commanded it, and because you never really know where a person is. Just a short while ago someone very well could have said there was no hope for me.

C.S. Lewis said, referring to faith and works, that the debate was kind of like arguing about which blade on a pair of scissors was more necessary. I feel that way about the man's will vs. God's will debate. The Scripture is clear that no one can come without God "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. (John 15:16)" It's also clear that action on our part is required. "The Spirit and the Bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price. (Revelation 22:17)" I don't think it's an "either/or" as much as a "both/and".

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
No, God cannot change anyone's will but praying in the Spirit can influence anything.

Upvote 0