United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The answer can be found in John 4:24.

"God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."

I would also note that he manifested Himself as a man (who still held on to His Godlike qualities), which was revealed to us in His Son, Jesus Christ.

That is not really a good answer if you ask me. God is also Father and Son. Here is just one example of the many verses that speak of God the Father:

(Acts 2:33 TNIV) Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.

And here is one of the many verses that talk about God the Son:

(Matthew 4:3 TNIV) The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread."

Upvote 0

spinningtutu

Jun 5, 2005
✟3,648.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I believe in a God of Trinitarian gender status...

(He) God the Father - the One is wholly other, who is Holiness and Justice... He will punish wickedness
(She) God the Mother/ The Holy Spirit and Creator - who is always here to nurture and comfort Her children
(S/he) The incarnation of God in the Intersexed Jesus, who is biologically female (being born of the virgin Mary with NO human male DNA) and physically male.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe in a God of Trinitarian gender status...

(He) God the Father - the One is wholly other, who is Holiness and Justice... He will punish wickedness
(She) God the Mother/ The Holy Spirit and Creator - who is always here to nurture and comfort Her children
(S/he) The incarnation of God in the Intersexed Jesus, who is biologically female (being born of the virgin Mary with NO human male DNA) and physically male.

Hmmmm, I never thought of Jesus as being intersexed before but that is a good way to look at it! :) Thanks for giving me a new perspective Paxi! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm with Trent.....spirit...gender neutral... qualities of both genders. If women wrote the Bible we'd likely say Our Mother, who art in Heaven. I think all the references to Father are related to the gender of the writers, not the gender of God. I just take the Father label to mean that God is like our parent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fieryphoenix

Iconic Radical Scholar
Jan 19, 2008
Catonsville, MD
✟7,746.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that God has both male and female attributes. I know the Bible does not support this idea, but the Bible was written by men for men 2000 years ago. The female side has definitely been marginalized.

Here is the way I look at it: You can't have God the Son without God the Father and God the Mother. The Mother is the Holy Spirit aka the Comforter.

Upvote 0

tinythinker

Jun 16, 2008
✟7,860.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
God is beyond naming and knowing. God is love, God is liberation, God is healing, God is mystery. God is the ground of being. God is the Father and Mother of ALL SOULS. God is present in creation, yet is greater than creation.

Yup. Some folks have trouble with the ground of being/present in Creation deal, because it makes God too close and makes hatred passe. My own way of describing it is that Creation is a perpetual act, with the divine as the raw potential and "space" in and from which phenomena arise. A common metaphor between Christianity and certain branches of eastern religions like Buddhism is the model of the ocean and the waves, with the ocean as the Ultimate dimension and the waves arising as the phenomena in the historical dimension (i.e. time and space).

Upvote 0

HolyWarrior77

For we all have a Father!
Feb 21, 2009
✟8,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There is no need for gender. Why? Read Below:

Galatians 3:28 (New King James Version)

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

John 4:24 (New King James Version)

24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Witchy Bee

Alis volat propriis
Aug 15, 2009
Halfway to Hades
✟8,168.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, "God" generally refers to a male deity. But I observe divinity in both the male and female aspect. Which are both an extension of a higher souce of energy without mind, gender, or shape. An unknowable entity, not necessarily the creator of the unvierse, but the universe itself. Therefore, all things are, in their own right, divine.

Forgive me if I'm out of line posting this, as my views on divinity our not quite your own...

Upvote 0

purplesheep

Sep 25, 2009
✟7,612.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
God is a He and referred to as he with a capital H to show His sovereignty although some modern Bibles use a lower case h. The answer is in the Word, He created man in His own image [Genesis 1].

God the Father is a He, Lord Jesus Christ is a He and the Holy Spirit is a He. God is triune so why would Abba Father and Lord Jesus be He and the Holy Spirit not be?

God is awesome :)

Question: "Is the Holy Spirit a "He," "She," or “It,” male, female, or neuter?" Answer here at GotQuestions.

Upvote 0

Lazerboy

Lutheristic Baptist
Jul 25, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
✟15,254.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Is God a He, She, It, multiple, none, or other?

I voted "other." God is not male or female, so that eliminates He and She. God is a person, so that leaves out It. I believe the correct pronoun for God is... God.

Upvote 0