Is God’s objective: “to bring glory to Himself”?

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is to desire and seek self-glorification a selfish desire?

Did God make everything He made to bring Himself glory?

Does each individual person, no matter what they do bring glory to God?

Does satan bring glory to God?

Can I do stuff which takes some of God’s glory away?

What actions of God have shown how great God’s glory is and did these actions bring more glory to God?

What was the most glorious thing Christ did?

What made the prodigal son’s father glorious and when did we see this in action? If the prodigal son had not returned would the father still be just as glorious?

We glorify the soldier who risks life and limb for his comrades so is glory the soldier’s motivation?

We tend to look down upon selfish individuals, so if God is self seeking why would we not look down upon that Characteristic of God?

What is God’s totally unselfish (Loving) objective as it relates to humans?

• Useful
Reactions: brinny

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Is God’s objective: “to bring glory to Himself”?

What actions of God have shown how great God’s glory is and did these actions bring more glory to God?

What made the prodigal son’s father glorious and when did we see this in action? If the prodigal son had not returned would the father still be just as glorious?

We glorify the soldier who risks life and limb for his comrades so is glory the soldier’s motivation?

We tend to look down upon selfish individuals, so if God is self seeking why would we not look down upon that Characteristic of God?

He brought glory to God the Father.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
It sounds kind of weird to accuse God of selfishness or "self-centred-ness".
I hesitate to judge the one who made me. The source of all love and light in the world. Seems like He did a lot of unselfish things. Could be just a sign of a human trying to fathom divine intelligence.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2:9-11‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...Does satan bring glory to God?

In a way, I think he does. Every attack that Satan has done seems to have only benefited God. that is why I think Satan also glorifies god, he shows how great God is, even when he tries to do the opposite.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Honestly seeing it like that has me think God has a massive ego and doesn't really care about anything else.

Upvote 0

def

Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2010
✟89,770.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is a difference between goals and objectives. Objectives are the means to achieve the goals. When we do things with the objective of bringing glory to God, we eliminate, or at least, reduce the risk of bringing glory to ourselves.

Recall the Fall. Adam disobeyed God, but the reason behind his disobedience was that Adam wanted to bring glory to himself and wanted to be like God. The serpent tempted Adam, eat and you will be like God. Adam died because he committed blasphemy. King David lied, committed murder and adultery, and still ended up pretty well.

The purpose of glorifying God in all that we do is to eliminate the risk of glorying ourselves and run the risk of blasphemy, the unpardonable sin.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference between goals and objectives. Objectives are the means to achieve the goals. When we do things with the objective of bringing glory to God, we eliminate, or at least, reduce the risk of bringing glory to ourselves.

Recall the Fall. Adam disobeyed God, but the reason behind his disobedience was that Adam wanted to bring glory to himself and wanted to be like God. The serpent tempted Adam, eat and you will be like God. Adam died because he committed blasphemy. King David lied, committed murder and adultery, and still ended up pretty well.

The purpose of glorifying God in all that we do is to eliminate the risk of glorying ourselves and run the risk of blasphemy, the unpardonable sin.

I agree there are differences between goals and objectives, so is God’s goal to bring self-glory?

If we demonstrate our Love for God and/or others will that bring glory to God?

Is God’s Love for us glorious?

I have some real issues with your understanding of Adam's sin: Satan did not tempt Adam and it did not say anything about "wanting to be like God" (that was Eve), but Eve was Adam's reason.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So that must not be God's objective?

It may be. But I'm saying if it is, then the claim that God loves us (which I doubt assuming hell exists) is really just a farce when he actually just wants us to worship him and tell him how great he us (and given he created the whole universe it seems like one of us wanting to be worshipped by ants, no, worshipped by cells.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

def

Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2010
✟89,770.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we demonstrate our Love for God and/or others will that bring glory to God?
God's name will not be profaned if we love HIM and love others. But, I reckon, we bring glory to God when we make the impossible possible through God's help. For example, I have $30 per month for pocket money, and I was assigned to look after 30 inter-state Christians, taking care of their dinner for 10 days. God gave me a dream, and following that dream, I ended up with $500, and fed the "crowd" - making the impossible possible - a good story that can be proven and the testimony brings glory to God.

God's glory is displayed when He acts through us, and usually in miraculous circumstances.

Is God’s Love for us glorious?

God's love for Israel brought glory when God supernaturally intervened to bring victory and success to Israel.
I have some real issues with your understanding of Adam's sin: Satan did not tempt Adam and it did not say anything about "wanting to be like God" (that was Eve), but Eve was Adam's reason.

Adam was with Eve (Gen 3:6), and heard everything Satan said. While, Eve was tempted by the look of the fruit (v6), Adam was tempted to be like God. In Ezekiel 28, God charged Adam for wanting to be like god and is blasphemy. The Fall was not merely a case of disobedience.

When Christians perform miracles through the Holy Spirit, it is very easy to attract worship, and that worship can swell into pride and then blasphemy. Giving total glory to God will help us stay grounded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God's name will not be profaned if we love HIM and love others. But, I reckon, we bring glory to God when we make the impossible possible through God's help. For example, I have $30 per month for pocket money, and I was assigned to look after 30 inter-state Christians, taking care of their dinner for 10 days. God gave me a dream, and following that dream, I ended up with $500, and fed the "crowd" - making the impossible possible - a good story that can be proven and the testimony brings glory to God.

God's glory is displayed when He acts through us, and usually in miraculous circumstances.

God's love for Israel brought glory when God supernaturally intervened to bring victory and success to Israel.

Adam was with Eve (Gen 3:6), and heard everything Satan said. While, Eve was tempted by the look of the fruit (v6), Adam was tempted to be like God. In Ezekiel 28, God charged Adam for wanting to be like god and is blasphemy. The Fall was not merely a case of disobedience.

When Christians perform miracles through the Holy Spirit, it is very easy to attract worship, and that worship can swell into pride and then blasphemy. Giving total glory to God will help us stay grounded.
You are the first person I have known to take Ezekiel 28 and say the prince of Tyre was Adam, do you have anything other than the mention of the Garden in the chapter, because there are lots of thigs in that chapter which do not match up with Adam?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It may be. But I'm saying if it is, then the claim that God loves us (which I doubt assuming hell exists) is really just a farce when he actually just wants us to worship him and tell him how great he us (and given he created the whole universe it seems like one of us wanting to be worshipped by ants, no, worshipped by cells.
A created being really cannot do anything for the Creator.
I see God as being a giver and not looking to get anything.
God is doing and allowing all He can to help willing individuals fulfill their objective with this everything including: Christ going to the cross, satan roaming the earth, tragedies of all kinds, hell, death, and even sin.

Upvote 0

def

Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2010
✟89,770.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are the first person I have known to take Ezekiel 28 and say the prince of Tyre was Adam, do you have anything other than the mention of the Garden in the chapter, because there are lots of thigs in that chapter which do not match up with Adam?
I have presented this before, but happy to repeat it for you. Using KJV Ezekiel 28.

V2: You said, I am a god; yet thou art a man. > God's charge against Adam.
V13: Thou has been in the garden of Eden. > "Has been" means was there but left. Who was the man that has been in the garden of Eden? Adam was a man, Adam was in the garden Eden. Adam was removed from the garden of Eden.
V15: Thou was perfect ... from the day thou was created. > Adam was the only known man created in the garden of Eden.

Through pattern recognition and making connections, Adam is the King of Tyre, and God charged Adam for blasphemy, a mere man claiming to be like God, an unpardonable sin.

Through his wisdom, Adam became very rich, and his heart was lifted up (verse 5). The spiritual gifts from the Holy Spirit can make some Christians very rich and may attract worship. If not careful, their hearts can be lifted up, and commit the unpardonable sin against the Holy Spirit.

Genesis gave the reasons Eve took the fruit, it looked good, and gave wisdom. Genesis never mention the reason why Adam ate the fruit. The serpent told Eve, and Adam was beside her, eat and you will be like God.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have presented this before, but happy to repeat it for you. Using KJV Ezekiel 28.

V2: You said, I am a god; yet thou art a man. > God's charge against Adam.
V13: Thou has been in the garden of Eden. > "Has been" means was there but left. Who was the man that has been in the garden of Eden? Adam was a man, Adam was in the garden Eden. Adam was removed from the garden of Eden.
V15: Thou was perfect ... from the day thou was created. > Adam was the only known man created in the garden of Eden.

Through pattern recognition and making connections, Adam is the King of Tyre, and God charged Adam for blasphemy, a mere man claiming to be like God, an unpardonable sin.

Through his wisdom, Adam became very rich, and his heart was lifted up (verse 5). The spiritual gifts from the Holy Spirit can make some Christians very rich and may attract worship. If not careful, their hearts can be lifted up, and commit the unpardonable sin against the Holy Spirit.

Genesis gave the reasons Eve took the fruit, it looked good, and gave wisdom. Genesis never mention the reason why Adam ate the fruit. The serpent told Eve, and Adam was beside her, eat and you will be like God.

12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”

God does not call Adam a liar for his statement and confirms the reason by saying: To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit.

I also have an issue with you assuming the word “with” has to mean in close proximity since:

The word “with” most of the time means the opposite of “against”. In fact of the 1000 times it is used I have not found any to mean just “close proximity”, as compared to intercourse and being “with” loyal to someone.

Since Adam was not deceived (1 Tim. 2: 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.), and was extremely wise why did he not speak up.

If Adam was the way you say; why would God put him over Eve since Adam’s sin was much more harmful?

This makes Adam out to want to see Eve die or extremely weak.

The rest of Ez. 28 does not match up with Adam.

Adam’s sin was the result of the fact; he Loved Eve more than God and wanted to go where ever she was going and Adam at this time was really with Eve (they had become one), could not live without her so if she was to die he would die.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

def

Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2010
✟89,770.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also have an issue with you assuming the word “with” has to mean in close proximity since:

The word “with” most of the time means the opposite of “against”. In fact of the 1000 times it is used I have not found any to mean just “close proximity”, as compared to intercourse and being “with” loyal to someone.

I was "with" my sister last night. "With" means people or things are in a place together or doing something together (Cambridge dictionary).

Since Adam was not deceived (1 Tim. 2: 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.), and was extremely wise why did he not speak up.

Adam was not deceived, therefore his action was premeditated, to think out before hand. Given that Adam was not deceived, what was he trying to achieve by eating the fruit? Genesis gave reasons for Eve eating the fruit, it looked good and gave wisdom. Using a real Bible, 1 Tim 2:14 says Eve transgressed. Ezekiel 28 says that Adam sin was iniquity, a sin different from transgression.

The rest of Ez. 28 does not match up with Adam.
When making connections through pattern recognition it is important to recognise the essential features, and by ignoring the blurry lines, the image is extremely sharp.
The essential features: God was referring to a man, the man had some time in Eden, God created that man, he was good until iniquity was found in him. Only Adam fits all the essential features.

Adam’s sin was the result of the fact; he Loved Eve more than God and wanted to go where ever she was going and Adam at this time was really with Eve (they had become one), could not live without her so if she was to die he would die.
Proof text please or else is sophistry.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was "with" my sister last night. "With" means people or things are in a place together or doing something together (Cambridge dictionary).

Cambridge is not the Bible, the Bible mostly uses “with” to mean “Loyal to”, “in agreement” or “intercourse”.

Adam was not deceived, therefore his action was premeditated, to think out before hand. Given that Adam was not deceived, what was he trying to achieve by eating the fruit? Genesis gave reasons for Eve eating the fruit, it looked good and gave wisdom. Using a real Bible, 1 Tim 2:14 says Eve transgressed. Ezekiel 28 says that Adam sin was iniquity, a sin different from transgression.

Not being “deceived” does not mean they are “premeditated”. Adam intentionally did wrong, but Adam did not have to plan to do wrong. You may say a lie at the spur of the moment without it being premeditated.

Ezekiel 28 never says the king of Tyre was Adam. Ezekiel 28 is a very poetic chapter so we show allow some poetic license for the author.

The Garden of Eden was not “in the heart of the seas”

Adam lived way before Daniel so what is God saying to the King of Tyre with: “Are you wiser than Daniel?”

Adam had only kinfolk around him so how could this happen: “By your great skill in trading you have increased your wealth, and because of your wealth and “I am going to bring foreigners against you, the most ruthless of nations;”

Where does scripture suggest Adam died at sea: you will die a violent death, in the heart of the seas.

This is part of very poetic language and very typical of other Laments: “So I made a fire come out from you, and it consumed you,” so I would say the reference to Eden is also a descriptive reference showing the slender surrounding this king.

Proof text please or else is sophistry.

To Adam he said, “Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit.

That is God’s explanation for Adam’s sin and there is nothing about his wanting to be God.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Christians mostly go into a lot of Christobabble when we talk about "glory."

Upvote 0