Is gluttony (being grossly overweight) sinful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟15,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Rusticus said:
There are many reasons as to why a person may be very overweight. Overeating is just one of them.

As far as addictions go (be that food, drink, smoke, drugs, sex, religion etc etc) they are largely governed by genetics, and do not imply weakness of character or sinfulness.
While those things have some grounding in genetics, I highly doubt that our actions are "largely governed" by them (and I have to question you more so about how genetic religion is). I believe that many addictions are possible to change if we are aware of our problems (God willing) and we are willing to change them.

Upvote 0

FollowingJesus

Jun 1, 2005
✟15,726.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
indra_fanatic said:
The notion that God wants you to embody a certain appearance or certain standard of physical condition is (besides getting perilously near to Hitlerian views on Aryan fitness vs. undesirables) tantamount to the quiver-full extremists' view that God is angry at people who don't have/don't have enough children. I thought Christ's sacrifice took care of this blatant legalism once and for all.
I don't know anything about Gwen 's', however, I DO believe that God wants us to embody a certain appearance (the one He designated for us - not one dictated by society.)

I also believe that He has standards for how we should maintain our physical health. This it not to say that everyone will have perfect health, but our bodies respond positively to certain habits of maintainence, and respond negatively to certain poor habits. I think God wants us to make the positive choices. Too many of us take better care of our cars than our bodies.

I believe God DOES care.

To me, this is not 'legalism', it's respect for the body that God gave us.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FollowingJesus said:
I DO believe that God wants us to embody a certain appearance (the one He designated for us - not one dictated by society.)

Could God have designed someone to be fat?

I also believe that He has standards for how we should maintain our physical health.

And what are those standards?

This it not to say that everyone will have perfect health, but our bodies respond positively to certain habits of maintainence, and respond negatively to certain poor habits.I think God wants us to make the positive choices.

And what are "positive choices"?

Upvote 0

JunkYardDog

May 31, 2005
✟915.00
Faith
Christian
bliz said:

This is a good question. Given that humanity's design has been degraded since the Fall, the capacity of the human body to have "natural" (at least in the post-Fall sense) infirmities -- including being too fat, too thin, ugly, incomplete, distorted, etc. is almost boundless.

Upvote 0

JunkYardDog

May 31, 2005
✟915.00
Faith
Christian
linchen said:
I think that if the extra kilos come
from overeating the issue should be faced as
sinful.

But... is overeating more sinful than so many
other bad habits that we have? :scratch: :eek:

For example .... the urge to talk too much?

On Point 1, you are absolutely correct.

On Point 2, I think there is a myth that all sin is sin and that there are no big and little sins. I reject this idea. I think it is pretty clear that God regards some sins as worse than others.

On Point 3, there is something to this. Proverbs 10:19 says, "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise." This may mean that a person who talks too much is hiding sin, or that talking to much is, in and of itself, sinful. "Too much," in this case would be a measure hard to make.

Upvote 0

FollowingJesus

Jun 1, 2005
✟15,726.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
bliz said:
It's entirely possible, however, it's topic of debate for another thread. As has been clarified early on in this thread, this isn't an issue of 'fat' vs 'thin'... Those disctinctions are subject to the standards of man...

"The Lord does not look at the things man lookst at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."
I Sammuel 16:7 NIV

And speaking of 'the heart' many of us (not all) who have struggled with weight, can look in our heart and KNOW that 'we' are the ones who are responsible for our weight issues. Not God.

And just as with many of the 'situations' we get ourselves into...God can get us out - if we ask for His help.

If you KNOW that your actions got you to where you are in your struggles with weight...don't believe things like "God designed you to be fat" and "Diets don't work." The devil is a liar. Do not let the 'world' convince you to give up, give in, and continue to lose this particular battle that you feel you are losing.

Through God all things are possible. Anyone who says differently is a liar, or is unknowingly repeating lies.

bliz said:
And what are those standards?
I, personally, believe that God has standards for us all as individuals. The only way we can begin, and continue, to learn what those are is to commune with Him, and read His word.

bliz said:
And what are "positive choices"?
As it relates to the health of the human body, the medical industry has made clear a whole host of postive -vs- negative choices. Some are up for debate, however, many are quite clear.

For instance:
Getting adequate rest (vs Too much or too little) is a POSITIVE choice
Not smoking is a POSITIVE choice
Regular physical activity (not necessarily the gym) is a POSITIVE choice.

Going back to your initial point... I can't say whether or not God has 'designed' someone to be 'fat', however, I don't believe that it is His will for us to regularly overconsume food, to look to food for comfort, and to be sedentary. (It's entirely possible that I'm completely wrong here, and He'll let me know when I meet Him, but I just don't believe it.)

I DO believe that God wants us to make positive choices. I DO believe that he wants our relationship with Him to be stronger than our relationship with food (or anything else for that matter.)

Does it mean that if we consume proper quantities and qualities of food, and regularly 'move' our bodies, that we will be a size 'x'. No. But that isn't the point - in my opinion. The point, as I see it, is the care and maintainence of our bodies to the best of our abilities.

Upvote 0

Artos

Veteran
Jul 29, 2005
✟9,522.00
Faith
Methodist
I would separate FAT from GLUTTONY.
Some people are FAT because of reasons OTHER than Gluttony....

Gluttony is certainly a sin. It doesnt have to be gluttony for food.
Gluttony is the lack of self control....(something Christians are supposed to have), it is a refusal to learn self denial, it is the avoidance of pain and discomfort that might be necessary for growth and maturity.

Upvote 0

FollowingJesus

Jun 1, 2005
✟15,726.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
JunkYardDog said:
On Point 2, I think there is a myth that all sin is sin and that there are no big and little sins. I reject this idea. I think it is pretty clear that God regards some sins as worse than others.
I can't say that I disagree here, as far as sin in God's eyes.

But when I 'miss the mark' (and recognize it), I repent...I don't try to figure out whether it was a 'big' sin or a 'little' sin.

From a human standpoint, I just don't make it a practice of juging or 'ranking' other people's sins as 'big' or 'small', so that I don't get into the habit of regularly doing something like lying (for example) and saying, 'well, that was only a little sin - not a big one like murder.'

Upvote 0

JunkYardDog

May 31, 2005
✟915.00
Faith
Christian
FollowingJesus said:
I can't say that I disagree here, as far as sin in God's eyes.

But when I 'miss the mark' (and recognize it), I repent...I don't try to figure out whether it was a 'big' sin or a 'little' sin.

From a human standpoint, I just don't make it a practice of juging or 'ranking' other people's sins as 'big' or 'small', so that I don't get into the habit of regularly doing something like lying (for example) and saying, 'well, that was only a little sin - not a big one like murder.'

I would make a distinction for sins in matters such as church discipline where there is an ultimate penalty of excommunication (Matthew 18 & 1 Corinthians 5 & 6). It seems that those things listed in Corinthians are of a graver nature. I don't see someon coming under such disipline for, let us say, being impatient -- even though that is a sin. Of course such judgements are for the "brother."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,458.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
osmaker said:
Christians are some of the most hypocritical people on the earth...

As far as I am concerned, the only person who has ever lived and not been a hypocrite was Jesus.

Upvote 0

FollowingJesus

Jun 1, 2005
✟15,726.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
JunkYardDog said:
I would make a distinction for sins in matters such as church discipline where there is an ultimate penalty of excommunication (Matthew 18 & 1 Corinthians 5 & 6). It seems that those things listed in Corinthians are of a graver nature. I don't see someon coming under such disipline for, let us say, being impatient -- even though that is a sin. Of course such judgements are for the "brother."
That makes sense :) (Speaking of impatience, it has taken me FOREVER to begin to break my yoke of acting on my impatience. And many times, my impatience has led to larger sin and problems (including a car accident).)

BTW, I always like to read your contributions to a thread! Gives me food for thought!

Upvote 0

JunkYardDog

May 31, 2005
✟915.00
Faith
Christian
FollowingJesus said:
That makes sense :) (Speaking of impatience, it has taken me FOREVER to begin to break my yoke of acting on my impatience. And many times, my impatience has led to larger sin and problems (including a car accident).)

BTW, I always like to read your contributions to a thread! Gives me food for thought!

Pray this prayer: "Lord, give me p[atience -- and give it to me NOW!":D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Llauralin

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
FollowingJesus said:
Why do you think it's rarely addressed in the church?

The whole time I was obese (well over 200lbs) I don't ever recall hearing a sermon (or even a comment from the pulpit) about this issue. But I've heard many about drugs, sex, and 'rock and roll.'

Coincidentally, I had the tv on while I was working the other day, and Fred Price came on. Typically, I would have changed the channel, as I don't care for his messages (it always seems to be about money), but that day he was preaching about WEIGHT. I was floored.
I wonder if it might have something to do with the combined fact that it's too easy for the slender people (85% my congregation) to walk out of the room feeling good about themsleves, and contemplating the sin of those who are fat (exactly three people stand out, out of perhaps 500), and with the current social and governmental obsession with "health," which might lead pastors to think that people who are chronic overeaters probably know better. I've actually never heard a sermon in the six years I've been at my present church on why we should not overindulge in alcohol or smoking, presumably because it's pretty much something that we don't have any excuse for not knowing, and is not something a large proportion of our church struggles with. And because my pastor doesn't usually tend to single out specific sins, so much as areas of vice (in this case, he would probably preach on how we ought to be learning self-control).

BTW: in response to the OP, yes, I believe gluttony to be a sin, and overeating for any reason is a vice (one I tend to have, since my father always makes huge and delicious meals).

I thought it interesting that in the Eastern Orthodox, they do, in fact, have a definate means to attempt to overcome this sin; people are expected to spend aprox. 1/3 the year fasting from certain food items, which I thought very interesting.

Upvote 0

FollowingJesus

Jun 1, 2005
✟15,726.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
AngCath said:
gluttony is a sin that can take over a person's life. in addition to taking a heavy toll on the body, it dwindles the spirit in many people and leads to a general slothfulness.
Interesting, in the past couple of weeks, I've heard 3 ministers on television speak on gluttony (as it pertains to food and weight).

Two were 'recent' sermons, and just now, I heard an old Billy Graham sermon contained a section on it.

I know it's a touchy subject, but I do hope that churches will do more in the area of health ministry...

Upvote 0

bigat

Jan 10, 2003
Chicago - area
Visit site
✟616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
FollowingJesus said:
If we are to keep our bodies holy and not defile them, is gluttony and giving in to the temptation of food (to the point of overfeeding) sinful?

We condem drug addicts, sex addicts, and alcoholics...all of which have trouble controlling their 'need' for [drugs, sex, alcohol], but we say nothing of the person who can't control their desire for food...

No - but Krispy Kremes are....Mmmmmm..sinful...:p

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.