Is gluttony (being grossly overweight) sinful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FollowingJesus

Jun 1, 2005
✟15,726.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If we are to keep our bodies holy and not defile them, is gluttony and giving in to the temptation of food (to the point of overfeeding) sinful?

We condem drug addicts, sex addicts, and alcoholics...all of which have trouble controlling their 'need' for [drugs, sex, alcohol], but we say nothing of the person who can't control their desire for food...

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
FollowingJesus said:
Specifically, what is your point, as it pertains to the OP?

Thanks!
Presumably that we tend to be happy to condemn others for their sins while glossing over our own.

Upvote 0

Rusticus

Jul 2, 2005
✟8,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that one can equate being overweight with gluttony.

There are many reasons as to why a person may be very overweight. Overeating is just one of them.

As far as addictions go (be that food, drink, smoke, drugs, sex, religion etc etc) they are largely governed by genetics, and do not imply weakness of character or sinfulness.

Blessings

Upvote 0

non-religious

Veteran
Mar 4, 2005
Herts
✟11,017.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
[FollowingJesus]
We condem drug addicts, sex addicts, and alcoholics...all of which have trouble controlling their 'need' for [drugs, sex, alcohol], but we say nothing of the person who can't control their desire for food...
I personally do not condemn drug addicts, sex addicts and alcoholics. Obviously they have a problem with addiction, but I won't condemn them as human beings with struggles and problems. In respect to people who over eat. They too may have many issues going on in their lives that we don't know about. Issues that can invariably lead to people over eating. Again, I would stress that to condemn them would be totally inappropriate. Perhaps helping and understanding the root causes behind addictions can be an advantage. That way we may be able to help them. This to my mind would be far more beneficial cause of action as oppossed to any form of condemnation :)

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
FollowingJesus said:
If we are to keep our bodies holy and not defile them, is gluttony and giving in to the temptation of food (to the point of overfeeding) sinful?

I don't believe so, but it can be a sign of a character flaw that might give way to other things that are sinful.

These people shouldn't be condemned, they should be helped and told that Jesus has overcome these things.

Upvote 0

Pyrogenesis

Weapons Grade
Feb 7, 2005
Snells Beach
✟1,484.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being overweight is not a sin. Coveting food, eating to excess constantly (Not just at Christmas and Thanksgiving :) ) and having food as an idol in your life (Yes, you can idolise food) are not good.

How much do you think about God? How much do you think about food? If you think about food more than you think about God, then that's probably not a good sign. If you've got a genuine weight problem that's not related to gross over-eating then you're probably alright (As far as food related sin is concerned).

Upvote 0

JunkYardDog

May 31, 2005
✟915.00
Faith
Christian
FollowingJesus said:

First, the Bible references to keeping our bodies and not defiling them revolve around, in one case, defiling the Body of Christ with heresy, and in the other, defiling your individual body with fornication which, as the apostle says, is a sin against your own body. So I think that reference is misplaced here (as it is with things like smoking).

Second, overeating is like any other overindulgence: it is a sin. In Scripture, gluttony is rarely mentioned and always in connection with another overindulgence -- drunkenness. It is clearly a comparison.

Third, it is not possible entirely to determine if someone's being overweight -- even very much, at times -- is a result of overeating.

I think one of the problems is that when a person overindulges in a drug or alcohol, the results are visible in a way that is not true with the overeater. They are intoxicated and visibly so. Unless this is their normal demeanor due to some physical condition like Huntington's Disease, their overindulgence is clearly manifest. The overeater is different in that you would have to have some consistent observation of how much that person consumed over a period of a day or two AND to know something of how much he did physically AND know something medically about his metabolism to know whether or not he was overeating or eating what he needed (even if it would be more than you would eat). Gluttony would be a lot less visible -- like covetousness -- and maybe cannot be accurately judged by visible cues. It doesn't make them less sinful, only less subject to scrutiny while in thei life. They will, however, be jusged by He Who knows the hearts.

1 Timothy 5:24
24 Some men's sins are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some men they follow after.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
osmaker said:
Christians are some of the most hypocritical people on the earth...

Kyle

What does your claim have to do with the thread topic???

And might I add that its not a sin to be overweight but that IS something that should not be ignored, either. It is crucial to take care of yourself inside AND out. ;) That reminds me of a guy telling me I was sinning because I'm muscular. How silly is that? ^_^

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
linchen said:
Loosing weight is such a big battle for the majority of people.

I think that mostly not to been able to do it it's not a sin .... just human weakness! :(

I've been more or less incapacitated by a car crash for three months (which is why you see me here so often lately. There's just nothing else that I can physically do right now) and I've put on about sixty pounds because I can't move.

I've never been fat in my life but I am now. I can't imagine how I'm going to lose all of this weight.

Upvote 0

FollowingJesus

Jun 1, 2005
✟15,726.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
JunkYardDog said:
Second, overeating is like any other overindulgence: it is a sin. In Scripture, gluttony is rarely mentioned and always in connection with another overindulgence -- drunkenness. It is clearly a comparison.

Third, it is not possible entirely to determine if someone's being overweight -- even very much, at times -- is a result of overeating.
JYD, thank you for your thoughtful post. I worded my OP very poorly.

What I meant (but did not clearly express) is clearly spelled out in your response:

Is consistent overconsumption of food to the point of gluttony a sin?

Regarding the condemnation issue, I agree that is isn't right to condem anyone, but I was pointing out that we [the church in general] regularly condem the practices of drug taking, alcohol abuse, immoral sex practices, etc, but never is a word spoken about gluttony (as it relates to food.)

I am in disagreement with an earlier post that suggested that issues of overweight are 'largely' genetic.

In many cases, I believe, as JYD pointed out, an outward sign of concealed (and sometimes open) gluttony (or consumption BEYOND our needs).

For frame of reference, I had been heavy-to-morbidly obese my entire life, and believed that my genes had something to do with my issue of weight. (turns out I 'do' have a genetic issue which makes my weight more difficult to deal with.) BUT, I also realized that I was not treating my body in a way that supported health. By consuming the wrong foods, and the wrong AMOUNTS of foods, I certainly wasn't treating my body (temple) in a fashion that was pleasing to God.

I prayed about this, in earnest, one evening, and repented for MIStreating my body, and He spoke to me about what to do.

I began to treat my body with respect, and not give in to my OVERWHELMING drive to consume things that were not healthy for me.

To make a long story short, I lost about 100 lbs in a little over a year. (no special diet, no pills, no potions.)

And that 'genetic' issue? After my weight was gone, 2 different doctors say my lab work shows no signs that I have it - Praise the Lord.

I honestly believe that my earlier behavior was sinful (I would turn to food for comfort before I would turn to God), and was curious to hear what others had to say.

MikeMcK said:
I've never been fat in my life but I am now. I can't imagine how I'm going to lose all of this weight.
One prayer, and one pound at a time. God bless, you!

Upvote 0

onajourney87

Contributor
Oct 28, 2003
✟13,963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ebia said:
FollowingJesus said:
Specifically, what is your point, as it pertains to the OP?

Thanks!
Presumably that we tend to be happy to condemn others for their sins while glossing over our own.

Exactly.

JunkYardDog said:
osmaker said:
Christians are some of the most hypocritical people on the earth...

Kyle
That include you, Kyle?

Yes.

Gods Revenger said:
What does your claim have to do with the thread topic???

Gluttony is a sin, yet all to often, gluttons are happily condeming people who are drunk, addicted to smoking, etc as if they are not guilty of gluttony.

Kyle

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carri20

Veteran
May 8, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟9,191.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think if you're eating strictly out of gluttony, then, yeah. But there are a lot of other factors which can cause obesity. Psycological disorders, thyroid problems, chemical imbalances. Just like anything else...where is the heart?

I couldn't have said it better myself. Anyone who knows me knows I see the Bible in black and white, but even for me this is definitely a grey area. And no I'm not overweight, I'm actually about 20 lbs under.

Upvote 0

JunkYardDog

May 31, 2005
✟915.00
Faith
Christian
osmaker said:
Gluttony is a sin, yet all to often, gluttons are happily condeming people who are drunk, addicted to smoking, etc as if they are not guilty of gluttony.

Kyle

And if condemning people is a sin, you just condemened the gluttons who condemn the drunks. So what make YOU so special?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.