Is global warming just another ‘End-of-the-World’ delusion?

eclipsenow

God cares about his creation as well as us.
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟139,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Um ... the "big one" is a reference to another earthquake along the San Andreas Fault.

We Yanks still remember the 1906 San Fransisco Earthquake; and the "big one" is a reference to another, larger one, where ... melodramatically speaking ... California will 'fall into the ocean.'
I understand the common American use of the term 'Big One'. The irony here is that your reply is just confirming the self-centred tunnel vision you're suffering from. Only an American 'Big One' could possibly matter. Only American success matters. Therefore this global warming thing must be a lefty-instigated hoax designed to hurt the American economy, because we now we know that only America matters, and only American definitions matter, and by everything that's holy, you're just going to ignore every other point I raised with you because, well, you decided I got one American definition wrong.

I didn't. I was just trying to broaden your perspective to include, you know, some of those 'neighbours' your Lord commands you and I to love. But your answer shows where your focus really is. What an indictment.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟139,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The theory is nice. None have been built yet. The safety is a matter of pure imagination. Nothing wrong with dreaming about the future.

I think the important thing is to ramp up all the power sources we can find, because much of the world will need to relocate in the next 200 years. And attempting that on wind power is not wise.

Have you looked up the history of the EBR 11? That was the world's first IFR. The technology and physics are not some sort of mystery to crack like fusion, but are known and quantifiable. Politics shut down the EBR2, not running out of research avenues. We know how to do this.
Experimental Breeder Reactor II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Today's Gen3.5 reactors like China's AP1000 have safety systems that would EASILY have withstood the Japanese tsunami.

And no, we do not need to ramp up ALL energy sources as we should be leaving coal oil and gas in the ground.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟139,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I notice that a lot of the stuff you're claiming scientists said was actually said by the media, who have a notorious record of exaggerating and misrepresenting scientific claims.

There's that as well! But don't expect someone with the tagline "Science can take a hike!" to spew anything but vile bile about science. He's an embarrassing internet troll, and it's just a shame he thinks he is representing Christianity. He's not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟139,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It would be really amazing if, for once, just to mix things up a bit, you actually answered some of the substantive points put to you. You carry on like this, and just smugly pointing to the number of vacuous, pointless posts you've made, and we'll end up dubbing thee king of the trolls.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It would be really amazing if, for once, just to mix things up a bit, you actually answered some of the substantive points put to you. You carry on like this, and just smugly pointing to the number of vacuous, pointless posts you've made, and we'll end up dubbing thee king of the trolls.
Let me clarify what I meant by emphasizing my post count.

Didn't you make this doosey of a statement?
But don't expect someone with the tagline "Science can take a hike!" to spew anything but vile bile about science.
Embedded in that post count of mine, are the many, many times I have said that scientists are gifts to us from God; and the many, many times I have said I hold scientists up to a Higher Standard than unregenerate scientists can go; and even once where I said I would be willing to wash the feet of scientists in Heaven.

In plain English ... you're as wrong as wrong can be.

I doubt you'll ever reach the adoration for [past] scientists I have; you might come close, but I doubt it.

(And yes, I could be wrong about that.)

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Let me clarify what I meant by emphasizing my post count.

Didn't you make this doosey of a statement?

Embedded in that post count of mine, are the many, many times I have said that scientists are gifts to us from God; and the many, many times I have said I hold scientists up to a Higher Standard than unregenerate scientists can go; and even once where I said I would be willing to wash the feet of scientists in Heaven.

And scratch the surface, every one of them is exposed as nothing more than shameless self-serving drivel.

Are you capable of fooling anyone but yourself, AV?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Scientists have been crying "wolf" ever since I can remember:

Overpopulation, depletion of natural resources, radon gas in the curtains, aluminum in the ceiling, lead paint on the walls, various syzygies, comets, asteroids, Hong Kong flu, Swine flu, Legionnaires' disease, Y2K, the Satan Bug, the Hellstrom Chronicle, the "Big One" (earthquake), radiation leaks, etc.

Where is the "cry wolf" aspect to any of these? Overpopulation is a problem in many countries, radon gas can indeed kill you in your home, lead paint does make kids sick if they chew on paint chips, etc. The only cry wolfs are the Christian Fundamentalists who claim the End Times are coming and tell us when. Recently, you can add the New Agers who jumped on misunderstanding the Myan Long Count Calender.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟139,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering if someone as deluded as AV even knows that the radiative forcing of greenhouse gases was discovered by Joseph Fourier, 30 years before Karl Marx even wrote the Communist Manifesto? So it's not just some left-wing plot. It's also not about the 'end of the world', or planet as such, or even the end of the human species. It's about the end of a predictable climate that our civilisation developed in, and famine, pestilence, and wars accelerating.

Joseph Fourier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's that as well! But don't expect someone with the tagline "Science can take a hike!" to spew anything but vile bile about science. He's an embarrassing internet troll, and it's just a shame he thinks he is representing Christianity. He's not.
So you have made a lot of posts.
That's right. I've made a lot of posts. And even if I hadn't, his comment is out of line.

I would have said the same thing if I had your post count.
What do you know about climatology?
Nothing, why?
That's right ... why?

What do you know about the Wilkes-Barre variation of the Queen's Gambit Declined?
Hey, I have an idea.
Okay.
Why not try to learn something about climatology instead inserting your ideology?
No, thanks. I'm busy posting numbers.

Is that okay with you?

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟139,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Name one, please.

Sorry mate, but I think the data says the WORLD is overpopulated. Every resource is stretched, every ecosystem is shrinking, fisheries are dying, several nations are on the verge of freshwater wars, over half the world's rivers no longer reach their oceans, soil is blowing away, the climate is changing, etc.

Having said that, if we educated every woman on the planet and provided good nutrition and clean water and all basic human needs, and access to free family planning, then overpopulation will solve itself. I've read that this could be done with 5% of the world's military budget, but sorry, I don't have a link to that claim. If we empower women and give them and their children the basic human needs, population goes down, not up. It's called the Demographic Transition. So I don't campaign for population control but for education of muslim women and freshwater and human dignity and some security in old age. This stops them viewing many children as a 'superannuation' strategy for retirement and old age.

'Overpopulation' is a moving target. It changes according to the famous formulae IPAT. IMPACT = Population * Affluence (Consumption) * Technology.
The world is currently overpopulated not because we have too many people, but because we have too much impact per person through over-consumption because of the wrong technologies. There are some VASTLY better technologies that could halve or quarter our impact, bringing us back down to 'one planet living' which is the term for being in balance with nature. Ecosystems and soil and fisheries and rivers and forests could start to recover.
See more here
http://eclipsenow.wordpress.com/reduce/

The REAL issue in this thread, of course, is climate change. Why do you not believe Co2 is changing the climate?

Reactions: mzungu
Upvote 0