Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My 2nd great grandfather and his brothers founded the first Masonic Lodge in Northeast Alabama in their small Baptist Church. There was no lodge building. They were farmers of Scottish family background. As far as I know my dad and grandfather weren't ever in it, but I have an uncle by marriage in Georgia, also a baptist, and he's been a Mason for 30 years. I think there are large, better organized Masonic Lodges in bigger cities, but my impression of the one my family started is that it was some country gentlemen entertaining themselves in their small church. I'm also putting a video I made of the Masonic Lodge in Huntsville, Alabama that I visited a couple years ago during an open house they had on the same day as the Tour of Homes in the historic district around Christmas. I think the Huntsville lodge was the first one in the state, and I don't think that we were ever part of it. My family aren't from Huntsville. We were county people. My 2nd great grandfather is the one in the front in the picture with his vest popped open. He actually was the one in charge. :^)

Attachments

• DurhamMasonic.jpg
    DurhamMasonic.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 10

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I wouldn't go so far as to call Free Masonry satanic but I would say it is extremely problematic for a christian. Here in the US FM is more or less benign syncretistic in nature. In Europe in times past FM was far more aggressive and overtly anti-christian. My Grandfather was a Scottish Rite Mason who wanted me to join. After learning what they taught I declined. I think he was always disappointed because I objected to FM.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
'Is Freemasonry really Satanic?'
Put it another way, is freemasonry Christian?
You can test it very simply.
What religion would a muslim be if he joined the freemasons, would he be Christian because he was a freemason or would he be a muslim freemason?

Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What religion would a muslim be if he joined the freemasons, would he be Christian because he was a freemason or would he be a muslim freemason?
I didn't think Freemasonry was a religion. I've been in other clubs that had members from various backgrounds. I was in Toastmasters International for three years, and I think some of the people in my club were Hindu, I know several were Catholic, and others were Baptist, or maybe even "none,' but my family and I are still Christian.

Reactions: americanvet
Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't go so far as to call Free Masonry satanic but I would say it is extremely problematic for a christian. Here in the US FM is more or less benign syncretistic in nature. In Europe in times past FM was far more aggressive and overtly anti-christian. My Grandfather was a Scottish Rite Mason who wanted me to join. After learning what they taught I declined. I think he was always disappointed because I objected to FM.
What about their teaching did you object to the most?

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Like many organisations, Freemasonry has many levels, the lower levels being a social front for what goes on higher up. The higher levels being both secret and Satanic.

Even the oaths taken at the lowest level, Entered Apprentice are most ungodly, and something that no Christian should ever undergo. In fact it is clear from their own publications that the god they serve is Lucifer, not Christ.

There are countless websites exposing what's behind Freemasonry, I suggest you do some exploring.

However, you must be aware that Freemasonry have a carefully crafted cover story so don't be fooled. It is unquestionable that they have their hand into many good causes, but that doesn't excuse what goes on behind closed doors.

Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't see any evidence in this thread that represents anything Satanic. It seems what really bothers people is the "secretive" part - people getting their feelings hurt because they feel left out. I totally get that, but I think what goes on "behind closed doors" is basically a glorified version of some dudes hanging out. If you feel left out, the best thing to do is probably join a club or church so you don't feel that way. It doesn't have to be Freemasonry, but somewhere to belong and have friends. You can start your own secret society and make other people jealous. :)-

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What about their teaching did you object to the most?

Free Masonry makes theological claims that amount to a religion. The FM god is considered the "The Great Architect of the Universe". Candidates and members all strive to be admitted to the "Celestial Lodge". There are rituals that are clearly religious in nature depending on your degree. If you examine FM closely I think you will find out that its not just a bunch of philanthropic old folks who wear funny hats but a rival religion altogether.

I think most who are involved are not consciously rejecting Christianity rather they are ignorant of what FM is. Do some investigating. There are more authoritative critics than myself probably here on CF. I was merely recalling an incident in my life and my exposure to FM.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Free Masonry makes theological claims that amount to a religion. The FM god is considered the "The Great Architect of the Universe".
There is no FM God.

God, the supreme being and Creator is, however, sometimes referred to as the Great Architect of the Universe, a term that is widely attributed to the Christian theologian and reformer, John Calvin.

Candidates and members all strive to be admitted to the "Celestial Lodge". There are rituals that are clearly religious in nature depending on your degree. If you examine FM closely I think you will find out that its not just a bunch of philanthropic old folks who wear funny hats but a rival religion altogether.
It's religious, but not a religion. There is nothing unusual about a fraternity that is religious; and many civic organizations qualify. They they promote virtuous living, charity towards the poor, and so on.

A prayer before meals or the opening of a business session is part of the program in the such organizations as the Optimists, for example. The Boy Scouts give a special merit badge for studying the candidate's religion. Most college fraternities and sororities have religious concepts and references built into their own ceremonies.

I think most who are involved are not consciously rejecting Christianity rather they are ignorant of what FM is. Do some investigating.
That's always a good idea. I hope you will take your own advice.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Would you say, then, that it is wrong for any Christian to belong to any association, organization, or club that admits men or women who belong to different religions, period? If so, why?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would you say, then, that it is wrong for any Christian to belong to any association, organization, or club that admits men or women who belong to different religions, period? If so, why?

It is not wrong for a Christian to belong to clubs, organisations etc that accept people of different politics and religions if they are just social, political, sports etc related.

It is wrong for Christians to belong to organisations that claim to have secret religious knowledge or that detracts from the worship of God.

In that respect freemasonry should not be joined by Christians as it claims to have special knowledge about God reservd for a select few, which is in direct contrast to Paul's claim that the gospel is openly and publicly declared and shared.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I didn't think Freemasonry was a religion. I've been in other clubs that had members from various backgrounds. I was in Toastmasters International for three years, and I think some of the people in my club were Hindu, I know several were Catholic, and others were Baptist, or maybe even "none,' but my family and I are still Christian.

You illistrate the problem with freemasonry. You say it is not a religion and that there are no religous elements to it.
Other say the opposite.

If all fm is, is a secret club for businesmen then the question of secrecy and of fm's helping each other is a serious question.
How can there be free and open competition for jobs and contracts if there is suspicion that fm are opperating a secret cartel?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is not wrong for a Christian to belong to clubs, organisations etc that accept people of different politics and religions if they are just social, political, sports etc related.

It is wrong for Christians to belong to organisations that claim to have secret religious knowledge or that detracts from the worship of God.

Very well, but then Masonry is in the clear. It does NOT have the secret religious knowledge that the conspiracy nuts claim but never identify. It is a fraternity that encourages members to uphold their own religious values, but doesn't dictate a single doctrine to them.

In that respect freemasonry should not be joined by Christians as it claims to have special knowledge about God reserved for a select few, which is in direct contrast to Paul's claim that the gospel is openly and publicly declared and shared.
Well then, you now know that this is a myth.

Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You illistrate the problem with freemasonry. You say it is not a religion and that there are no religous elements to it.
Other say the opposite.

If all fm is, is a secret club for businesmen then the question of secrecy and of fm's helping each other is a serious question.
How can there be free and open competition for jobs and contracts if there is suspicion that fm are opperating a secret cartel?
Having a private get together is not un-Christian. It's called your livingroom. People are allowed to associate with whomever they want in a free society. If I had to invite everyone to every gathering I had, that would be called communism. Nice try. ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Very well, but then Masonry is in the clear. It does NOT have the secret religious knowledge that the conspiracy nuts claim but never identify. It is a fraternity that encourages members to uphold their own religious values, but doesn't dictate a single doctrine to them.

Well then, you now know that this is a myth.
No the masons I've known have been open about wanting to place buisness with another mason in preference to non mason.
ditto about secret knowledge.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.