Is "Free Will" Free?

agape101

Feb 18, 2009
✟8,534.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I consider that I truly have free will, then I must negate the facts that I am subject to many conditional circumstances both within and without. For instance, I cannot choose to believe an idea if I have never even heard of it. Threrefore ignorance impedes my guaging of choice. If I have a chemical imbalance or a petuitary tumor my will will be influenced and my choices contingent on them. My personality determines how I percieve things- I will act accordingly. I do not want to sin, but I am a sinner because of Adam. Is there any among us besides Jesus who can claim they can choose not to sin anymore and fulfill that? There are many who's lives are chaos from a very young age- and behavior is affected from that. How is it that this term "free will" has become a blind answer-all with regards to any sort of question about the relationship between our creator and his creation? What about God's "Free Will"? Can He have one? If He can have a free will with the exception that it can't violate our own then my will is freer than God's. Are you willing to except that as apart of your belief? That my will trumps God's? It seems counterintuitive to even say such a thing- but in the holding of this so called belief of free will we are forced to ignore tons of boundaries- and for what? For the sake of saying that "I chose to believe in Jesus, therefore initiating my own salvation?" That's the worst part. Now- if my slavation is a result of my own will then it is to my glory- especially since we are quick to say that a person who is not saved does not make the decision to choose from his free will; salvation. If it is the unbeliever's fault for his not being saved; then conversely it is to the glory of the saved for having chosen salvation.

I just think this term is a general cover-all programmed response that really means nothing when you analyze it. What do you think?

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Libertarian free will likely only exists within God, as God is uncaused. I propose that everything else (i.e. in this universe) is necessarily compatibilistic in some form or another because there is always a cause for an effect, and the situation is always determined to some extent by limiting factors.

Upvote 0