is fanfiction okay to write? really worried.

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟20,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
HI guys, I have a question I have ocd and I asked a similar question in the OCD forum but I'd like your opinion too. Is writing fanfiction stealing? That's something I'm worried about I really like writing Fanfiction bit recently I began to worry that writing it is stealing, because I'm using material I didn't create even though I'm not selling it. I've read that some authors think it's stealing to use something you didn't make. I know stealing is a sin and thieves go to hell, but I struggle to see how building on a story that was made public is theft even the law doesn't consider copyright infringement "theft" and there is a fair use doctrine built into the copyright law, fanfiction ike "the wind done gone" were cleared by the court to be published. So the law doesn't see it as theft, our ancestors didnt see it as theft which is how we got so many great stories but does God see it as theft? Does God think we have the sole right to tell the stories we tell others? Is it stealing to build on someone's work if you acknowledge who created it? Is it a hell worthy offense? This haunts me all day long and I haven't been writing for over a week , I feel physically ill and don't know what to.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
HI guys, I have a question I have ocd and I asked a similar question in the OCD forum but I'd like your opinion too. Is writing fanfiction stealing? That's something I'm worried about I really like writing Fanfiction bit recently I began to worry that writing it is stealing, because I'm using material I didn't create. I've read that some authors think it's stealing to use something you didn't make. I know stealing is a sin and thieves go to hell, but I struggle to see how building on a story that was made public is theft even the law doesn't consider copyright infringement "theft" and there is a fair use doctrine built into the copyright law, fanfiction ike "the wind done gone" were cleared by the court to be published. So the law doesn't see it as theft, our ancestors didnt see it as theft which is how we got so many great stories but does God see it as theft? Does God think we have the sole right to tell the stories we tell others? Is it stealing to build on someone's work if you acknowledge who created it? Is it a hell worthy offense? This haunts me all day long and I haven't been writing for over a week , I feel physically ill and don't know what to.

I don't see any problem with this. But if you want to be extra careful, you could contact the original creator of the material to make sure it's ok.
BTW, here's a recent article about it that might help: https://kotaku.com/it-used-to-be-perilous-to-write-fanfiction-1826083509

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟488,901.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Every work of fiction is derivative.

It could be stealing if you used your fanfiction to make money without the permission of the author, but as long as it's just for entertainment, where's the hurt?

• Agree
Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟20,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It would really depend on the author. Some see it as free advertisement while others think it's proof that you lack creativity and need to steal someone else's characters and settings. I think in most cases it's fine unless you're making money off of it. Making money off of someone else's copyrighted material is indeed against the law.

Thanks, I don't want to make money off of my writings and I have no intentions of stealing them. I'm just worried am I stealing them, is building on someone else's story and giving them credit legitimate theft?

Upvote 0

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟20,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Every work of fiction is derivative.

It could be stealing if you used your fanfiction to make money without the permission of the author, but as long as it's just for entertainment, where's the hurt?
I agree that every work is a derivative and it struck me as odd that someone would call it theft. I know Ann rice is strongly against fanfiction(which I respect.) but her books obviously draw inspiration from dracula and other vampiric mythology and dracula was based off an urban legend or two. I also read that she wrote two books from Jesus' POV who is a real person. I'm just worried that maybe reimaging stories is theft, honestly I'm afraid of going to hell for it.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟346,757.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Fanfiction isn't stealing, as long as you make it plain that the fiction you are writing is not solely your property and that it is derived from a copyrighted work. Having a disclaimer like... uh... "I own none of the characters/settings/names/etc shown in this story. All copyrighted content belongs to their original owners."

It is possible to make money off of fanfiction, I've seen it done, but as long as you make it plain that original fiction you're basing it off of isn't your own, you're perfectly fine.

Upvote 0

KiranLee

Jul 1, 2018
Midwest
✟20,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see any problem with this. But if you want to be extra careful, you could contact the original creator of the material to make sure it's ok.
BTW, here's a recent article about it that might help: https://kotaku.com/it-used-to-be-perilous-to-write-fanfiction-1826083509
Thank you for the article I've been looking at authors for permission but it gets harder when I get to people like Disney who are quiet about everything except family unfriendlyy works. They let us cosplay at their mousequrade and draw fanart but I don't know their stance on fanfiction.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I agree that every work is a derivative and it struck me as odd that someone would call it theft. I know Ann rice is strongly against fanfiction(which I respect.) but her books obviously draw inspiration from dracula and other vampiric mythology and dracula was based off an urban legend or two. I also read that she wrote two books from Jesus' POV who is a real person. I'm just worried that maybe reimaging stories is theft, honestly I'm afraid of going to hell for it.

If you've believed in Jesus Christ as your savior and asked God to forgive you of your sins, you won't go to hell for writing fan fiction.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing wrong with fan fiction at all.
In my creative writing class in university, one assignment was to write some fanfiction and post it online. It is a fantastic way to improve your writing and get immediate feedback. Some of the authors in the fandoms are amazing. They will help you improve your grammar and writing skills and give you advice on plot etc.
It is a creative outlet and there is nothing sinful about it. It is not stealing in any way.
In fact, copycat writing is taught to children in schools to help them with their creativity.
Often, when you write fanfiction, your stories become very original while just using the characters you are comfortable and familiar with. Over time, you will want to write your own original characters but in the meantime, fanfiction is an excellent way to improve your writing skills.
Keep writing and don't allow Satan to steal your joy!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟146,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I say that as long as you're only writing fanfiction for fun and not making any money off of it, then you're fine. :) It may be a good idea to give credit as well, like put a note at the beginning saying that the characters do not belong to you. Have fun, and God bless!

Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0