up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is faith in God a responsibility that one should fulfill? Or, is faith a gift of grace? Perhaps faith is a matter of both responsibility and grace?
How about a willing allegiance to the will of God instead of the will of man, which results in the understanding that He knows what He's doing while we don't.

Luke 16:15, James 1:27, Romans 12:2, James 4:4

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is faith in God a responsibility that one should fulfill? Or, is faith a gift of grace? Perhaps faith is a matter of both responsibility and grace?

It's both.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Does that gift not refer to grace? (otherwise it wouldn't be called grace)
Oh naturally! Both grace and faith come from God. Otherwise God would leave the keeping of salvation up to man. I mean think about it. If your salvation were up to doing things without God and keeping all the law God requires of us we would fall in a day. But thank God that it's up to him and his grace.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Faith is gift in the sense that everyone born has been given the ability to exercise faith, in something.

Now how does a person come to exercise faith in God. I see it as a person who may have an inclination to believe in God. Then God may help grow this inclination in that person.

I kind of see it this way, being a person who teaches art to elementary students. I will feed the student who has an interest in growing their art ability or knowledge. But a student who cares noting about art, i will help them to try and get through the year of art. With out too much, having to suffer in class, and to help them get through the year.

Grace is well grace, that is, God is offering Eternal Life for free, that is grace.
Humanity was put in a position, in a predicament , that they could do nothing about. But God can and being that we put our self in this position. God offers a way out without any pain or suffering, on our behalf.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Who Is A Faithful And Wise Servant?
Luke 11:
Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not.
10 So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.

The Gift of the Spirit Enables Righteous Worship
1 Corinthians 12:3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God
calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

The True Gift Enables Those Whosoever Desires; To Please Him
Romans 12:
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies
a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind,
that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Thus, Fulfilling The Prophetic Word
Luke 1:
To grant us that we,
Being delivered from the hand of our enemies,
Might serve Him without fear,
75 In holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting question, I believe it is both. I've often thought that faith is like a personality trait or natural ability. It is much easier for some than others. Some people have been gifted with the ability to have more faith than others. However, even if we don't have that natural "gift" it is our responsibility to cultivate that part of ourselves.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Faith is trust, like that stuff that happens within two people in any kind of relationship.

Faith just is, it cannot be forced.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Faith is believing that God will do all that He said He would.

Grace is God’s willingness to save us when we don’t deserve it.

Faith that enables us to receive God's gifts is itself a gift, of which some measure is imparted to every human being.

Each is responsible for growing their faith, growing in our knowledge of Him.

2 Peter 3:18
But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What God requires, he provides to his own, both to will and to do (Philppians 2:13).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All mature adults have been given a gift of faith, which they can use to put their trust in man made objects (idols). They can also direct this faith toward the Creator of the Universe.
Neither of which is saving faith.

Upvote 0